Hello,

one of my german merchants provides his datafeed only in a .xml format. will it work with webmerge too, or do i have to convert it into a .txt or .csv file ? when yes, how can i do it ?

would be nice if somebody could help me.

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cosmo:
    one of my german merchants provides his datafeed only in a .xml format. will it work with webmerge too, or do i have to convert it into a .txt or .csv file ? when yes, how can i do it ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most affiliate managers who provide XML also provide the much more efficient tab-delimited or comma-delimited formats, which WebMerge handles well right now.

We'll be adding support for XML, but to be honest there are very few requests for it as it's a bloated format that's used for far more things than it was designed for.

Columnar delimited formats like tab-delimited use only one character to delimit fields and one more to mark the end of a record.

By contrast, every element in an XML-formatted file has a pair of tags surrounding it, usually increasing the file size dramatically and radically slowing down the parsing of the file.

To give you an example, a field containing a price in any delimited format is just the length of the price string plus 1 character for the tab, but in XML it would be something like:

&lt;price&gt;$29.99&lt;/price&gt;

Multiply that by dozens of fields across thousands of records and you can see just how bloated XML is.

XML is great for exchanging hierarchically-ordered data between machine processes, like RSS files (which WebMerge will provide a tag for soon).

But for columnar data like database or spreadsheet output it's usually overkill, which is why most feed providers give you a choice.

If your affiliate manager does not provide a more efficient format, please feel free to send me an email with his contact info and I'll encourage him to consider it. It'll probably take only a few seconds to set up and will make his affiliates very happy to handle much smaller data files.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

youve got mail

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread