When trying to create my website...WebMerge has been terrific in creating the detail pages into my template- but I have 2 problems that I need help with:

1) I am missing something in my index page tags that tell Webmerge to enter different products into different tables. I placed the [WM-Field: Name] tag in my template, and WebMerge places the same product in every table. How do I tell WebMerge that I want a different product from the same category in EACH table?

2)I have been searching on the board, and I cannot find a topic on how to hide an affiliate link in WebMerge. Is there something that I can add to my template tag that will show "Widgets" on my finished site...instead of "www.acme-widgets.com/left_handed_widgets.html/affiliateID=xxxxxx" ?

Once I find the answers, I am ready to make my site fly!

Carpe Noctem (Seize the Night)

Hi, DD:

I'm still floundering around with WebMerge myself, but I've got a couple of suggestions -- see if they sound right to you:

I may well not be understanding your question correctly, but regarding your index tag question: do you have your [WM-Field: Name] tag inside a [WM-Record]...[/WM-Record] pair? I *think* that only tags between those will change for every record.

To make an affiliate link look like a plain link I think you can use an "onmouseover" command. A web search for that word will probably show you examples. That's what CJ uses when I select the option of generating hidden aff. links.

-- Mike

Hello MikeO! Thank you for your suggestions. I will use the record tags...I totally forgot those in my first coding. I will search right away on the board for info on "onmouseover" codes. Are you having problems with WebMerge locking up? I wrote to Richard about it, and he said that I was probably using the wrong format for my datafeed file.I found out later that I had saved it in Excel as a .xml file, so I re-downloaded the feed and saved it as a .txt file...but WebMerge still locks up either when it is analyzing the records...or when it is starting to build the pages. It still builds my index pages as empty folders. Maybe someday I will get the hang of this. I know that it is a far cry from all of the hours that I used to spend cutting and pasting code...taking 6 months sometimes to build a website. Thank you Richard for WebMerge!

Carpe Noctem (Seize the Night)

Nope, I haven't seen any lockup problems here -- it seems to run fine, makes pages when it should, etc.

Rather than searching ABW for "onmouseover" I'd suggest Google. A search there turns up lots of good examples.

-- Mike

Hi DD,

I had the problem of webmerge locking up and thought it was the actual program but then realized that I had mixed up some tags in my index or detail pages - I'm not sure now what is was, but I either used an index tag in the detail page or a detail tag in the index page - I'd mixed them up somehow when duplicating one of my html template pages - It was the next and previous tags that I had incorrect and it froze up the program - I fixed them and all went well.

So I suggest you go to your pages and check very carefully that all the tags are correct.

It solved the problem for me anyway. Hope it does for you too.

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tamborinegal:
    Hi DD,

I had the problem of webmerge locking up and thought it was the actual program but then realized that I had mixed up some tags in my index or detail pages - I'm not sure now what is was, but I either used an index tag in the detail page or a detail tag in the index page - I'd mixed them up somehow when duplicating one of my html template pages - It was the next and previous tags that I had incorrect and it froze up the program - I fixed them and all went well.

So I suggest you go to your pages and check very carefully that all the tags are correct.

It solved the problem for me anyway. Hope it does for you too.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lockups are very rare given the number and variety of customers happily generating pages daily. Just the same I like to watch for sych things and add error-checking to account for them when possible. If you'll send me an example of the bad tag format that causd that I'll see if I can have WebMerge check for that.

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any site

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

do you have your [WM-Field: Name] tag inside a [WM-Record]...[/WM-Record] pair? I *think* that only tags between those will change for every record.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have tried this but it does not work
    I wish to have ProductName Description Image Link of products all displayed on one page Cannot find the answer anywhere - the help files are pretty poor - even the examples given do not work when I replicated them.

If anyone has some suggestions it would be appreciated.
    M

Here is the code I am using

&lt;p&gt;[WM-Record]
    &lt;table border="0" width="400"&gt;

&lt;tr&gt;
    &lt;td&gt;[WM-Field: NAME]&lt;/td&gt;
    &lt;td&gt;[WM-ImagePath: IMAGE]&lt;/td&gt;
    &lt;td&gt;[WM-Field: DESCRIPTION]&lt;/td&gt;
    &lt;td&gt; &lt;a href="[WM-Field: URL]"&gt;Buy&lt;/a&gt;
    &lt;/td&gt;
    &lt;/tr&gt;

&lt;/table&gt;[/WM-Record]

Try it this way to create a table with three products across:

[WM-RECORD cols=3 width=800]
    [WM-Field: NAME]&lt;br&gt;
    [WM-ImagePath: IMAGE]&lt;br&gt;
    [WM-Field: DESCRIPTION]&lt;br&gt;
    &lt;a href="[WM-Field: URL]"&gt;Buy&lt;/a&gt;
    [/WM-Record]

Do not include any row, colum or table tags. WM will generate these. You can include other HTML formatting and &lt;BR&gt; breaks.

Have a Creative Day!
    FRANK, Baertracks
    Be More Creative

Thanks for the input. I had tried that - this is what appears in the processed html file - it only reproduces the code from the detail page template!

[WM-RECORD cols=3 width=800] [WM-Field: NAME]
    [WM-ImagePath: IMAGE]
    [WM-Field: DESCRIPTION]
    Buy [/WM-Record]

Take out the WM_RECORD references and it then grabs the data properly.

When used as an index template this is what I get (images come out fine)

TROPICANA

Bright, tropical style flowers ready to liven up your day. This stylish bunch can bring a room to life with its' long stems and vibrant colours.
    http://URL is displayed here"&gt;Buy JEALOUSY BUNCH

Fragrant, Classical and timeless. This bunch says it all with fragrant white lilies positioned against light coloured roses. Get others screaming with jealousy. Perfect for birthday's and anniversaries
    URL is displayed here"&gt;Buy COLOURAMA

This bright modern bouquet consists of in your face, funky seasonal blooms. This arrangement stands out in any environment. Great for a birthday or anniversary
    URL is displayed here"&gt;Buy
    FRESH FUNKY BOX

The link to the merchant appears as a full url with "&gt;Buy at the end and all of the description comes up as underlined link.

Still frustrated!
    M

Sounds to me like you almost have it. Take out the extra "&gt; and try doing a short test run again.

You can't run the WM table creation on a detailed page. This is why you need to run two or three WM settings files successively (with different "index" templates) in order to create a multi-tiered website.

Have a Creative Day!
    FRANK, Baertracks
    Be More Creative

nope still won't work.
    I don't think this program will do what I want - shame as it is so simple - just all products on one page with a direct link to the merchant's site.
    M

I'm having troubel too..

This code..

[WM-RECORD cols=3 width=680]
    &lt;font size="+1"&gt;&lt;a href="[WM-FIELD: BUY_URL]"&gt;[WM-FIELD: NAME nolink]&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/font&gt;
    &lt;font size="+1"&gt;&lt;a href="[WM-FIELD: BUY_URL]"&gt;[WM-ImagePath: IMAGEURL nolink]&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/font&gt;
    &lt;font size="+1"&gt;[WM-FIELD: DESCRIPTION nolink]&lt;/font&gt;
    &lt;table align="center" width="100%"&gt;
    &lt;tr&gt;
    &lt;td align="center"&gt;
    &lt;font size="+1"&gt;&lt;a href="[WM-FIELD: BUY_URL]"&gt;[WM-FIELD: PRICE nolink]&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/font&gt;
    &lt;/td&gt;
    &lt;td align="center"&gt;
    &lt;font size="+1"&gt;&lt;a href="[WM-FIELD: BUY_URL]"&gt;Order&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/font&gt;
    &lt;/td&gt;
    &lt;/tr&gt;
    &lt;/table&gt;
    [/WM-RECORD]

Only creates one product listing on the one page & only processes 20 lines out of the whole & it's called a success by the program.

Sounds like you either have it running in test mode or haven't registered yet. You are limited to the first 20 records in the trial version.

-----------------------------
    Scott

Have a nice day unless you have other plans

Yeah.. I haven't registered it yet. I'm just trying it out to see if I can get it to work before I buy it.

So far doesn't seem to be workig too good.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The link to the merchant appears as a full url with "&gt;Buy at the end and all of the description comes up as underlined link.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Matte, it may help if you put the RAW attribute in all fields which are supposed to generate a link.

No guarantees, but RAW has saved me from a multitude of ills.

For example, [WM-Field buyURL raw]...

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

Ok, I see why it wasn't making multiple columns, because it was only processing 20 results or something & didn't process more than one item for each category. I edited the feed & did it again & it created multiple coloums.

My question is however... how does it know when u want to go to page 2 if there are a lot of items or something & how do you edit more of the table elements such as alignment & cellspacing etc..

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cyphix:
    My question is however... how does it know when u want to go to page 2 if there are a lot of items or something & how do you edit more of the table elements such as alignment & cellspacing etc..<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Page break criteria are set in the Index Pages tab.

The W3C recommends CSS as the best way to apply styling for cells.

--
    Richard Gaskin

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by matte:
    Cannot find the answer anywhere - the help files are pretty poor - even the examples given do not work when I replicated them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was unable to find your bug report in my In Box.

While the current 80 pages' worth of documentation has gotten a lot of positive email here, there's always room for improvement. I'm preparing a v2.3.1 release with enhanced documentation and a minor bug fix or two, so if you've found an issue with the Help files that's survived six months of beta testing please send a description of the issue to me via email: webmerge@fourthworld.com

While the software and the documentation undergo constant enhancement, with a program this flexible it's not possible to test all possible combinations on all systems. Sending a report of any specific issue you encounter is the best way to ensure that it's addressed. While no software is perfect, my turnaround time for bug fixes remains significantly faster than industry averages, usually 24 - 48 hours, putting Fourth World about six months ahead of Microsoft and about a year ahead of Adobe.

--
    Richard Gaskin

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Baertracks:
    Try it this way to create a table with three products across:

[WM-Field: NAME]&lt;br&gt;
    [WM-ImagePath: IMAGE]&lt;br&gt;
    [WM-Field: DESCRIPTION]&lt;br&gt;
    &lt;a href="[WM-Field: URL]"&gt;Buy&lt;/a&gt;
    [/WM-Record]

Do not include any row, colum or table tags. WM will generate these. You can include other HTML formatting and &lt;BR&gt; breaks.

Have a Creative Day!
    FRANK, Baertracks
    http://bemorecreative.comhttp://bemo...if/CQ32x32.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is it possible to use a percentage for the width somehow?
    your code here Frank is :

I tried to run this with
    [WM-RECORD width=60%]

and

[WM-RECORD cols=3 width=60%]

WM didn't like that. Is that my coding or is that WM?

Still trying it out with little postive results.
    Always get the same errors when running it.

@ Richard (or anybody for that matter)

If you use Franks tut (four tier w/nested directories) and only change this one element from
    width=800

to
    width=any%

on the templates WM hits a wall. Loads of errors cup up, suff about intagers, pix(something)

sorry I don't recall the errors, but ould be nice to use a % of table width to allow for screen rez.

Did any of that make since? I hope so.
    Just adding in what i found as I tested.

Peace,
    --Brian
    Oregon Publishing: Web Development, Graphic Design, Domains & Marketing
    Deluxe Banners Bartender's Guide Cooking Jobs

Never mind I added
    the % to the &lt;td&gt; as shown

&lt;td width="60%"&gt;

Only change the
    [WM-RECORD cols=3 width=60%]
    to
    [WM-RECORD cols=3 width=400]

Worked great then