Surely someone can answer this question...

Before I continue trying to use Webmerge to produce files, is it possible for us to use (for our "database"), a simple tab delimited .txt file list of keyword phrases, rather than using database programs such as Filemaker Pro, Excel, Access, etc. with rows and columns?

example list:

keyword list
    green keyword list
    keyword list online
    short red keyword list
    another keyword list
    keyword list dictionary
    ...etc.

And if this is possible, where are the settings in Webmerge to associate this list of keywords with:

Page Titles
    Heading Tags
    Filenames (url's)
    Links
    ...etc. ???????

Thanks in advance,

JB

I suggest that you read Fred's datafeed and WebMerge tutorial.

Yes, you can use your keyword list as a datasource. Your list is essentially a datafeed with ONE column. The name that you put at the top of the column (keyword list) can be used as the field name to create the WM tags, e.g., [WM-Field: keyword_list]. You can insert that into your template to create meta tags, Page Titles, Heading Tags, linking tags. You can also use it in the WM settings file to create file names.

By the way, I sent you a private message offering with more detailed instructions on how you might proceed.

Thanks Frank,

I've attempted doing just that for about ten days now. Yet now that you've stated it CAN be done, I'll experiment further.

I'll give it another try and let you know what happens.

JB

ABW Ambassador
    ...rather than limiting yourself by using notepad I believe there a couple of free Excel compatible programs capable of exporting the data in a more readily usable format. However if you are determined to use notepad than I think it would still be necessary to have the first word in each column be a heading so that WM knows which column it is working with.

KWL1 KWL2

...yep, you're sure right.

Right now, we're using Filemaker Pro ...with some success.

JB

...anyone know how to create nav links from a list of 3 word phrases?

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by notepad:
    Before I continue trying to use Webmerge to produce files, is it possible for us to use (for our "database"), a simple tab delimited .txt file list of keyword phrases, rather than using database programs such as Filemaker Pro, Excel, Access, etc. with rows and columns?

example list:

keyword list
    green keyword list
    keyword list online
    short red keyword list
    another keyword list
    keyword list dictionary
    ...etc.

And if this is possible, where are the settings in Webmerge to associate this list of keywords with:

Page Titles
    Heading Tags
    Filenames (url's)
    Links
    ...etc. ???????
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WebMerge doesn't rely on any specific features of database products other than the common ability to generate simple delimited text files.

Field names are commonly just the first row, with the relationship being based on the position (the first column header specifies the first field, etc.). You can use any delimiter you like -- here's a quickie example using the pipe character:

FirstName|LastName|City
    Richard|Gaskin|Los Angeles
    Steve|Jobs|Cupertino
    Bill|Gates|Redmond
    Jeff|Goldblum|Area 51
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread