One more question from me:

I would like to set up a site where one item appearing on several different sets of index pages (all at the same level in a multi-tier setup) will link to the SAME detail page. For example:

Let's say I have an art-related site where -- for simplicity's sake -- I am selling 6 different products. To make it a little easier for customers to locate what they want, each product is categorized 3 ways:

[1] by ARTIST (DaVinci, Van Gogh)
    [2] by TITLE ("Mona Lisa" "Self-Portrait" ), and
    [3] by PRODUCT TYPE (poster, greeting card, coffee mug).

These 3 categories make up three different sets of index pages:

[1] The ARTIST set has one artist per page with a list of his images and then a sublist of the products on which each image appears:

The Leonardo DaVinci Page
    "Mona Lisa"
    Poster
    Greeting Card
    "Self Portrait"
    Greeting Card
    Coffee Mug
    The Vincent Van Gogh Page
    "Self Portrait"
    Poster
    Coffee Mug

[2] The TITLE set has one image title per page with a list of artists who have images with that title (generally not more than one artist) and then a sublist of the products on which that image appears:

The "Mona Lisa" Page
    by DaVinci
    Poster
    Greeting Card
    The "Self Portrait" Page
    by DaVinci
    Greeting Card
    Coffee Mug
    by Van Gogh
    Poster
    Coffee Mug

[3] The PRODUCT TYPE set has one product type per page with a list of artists who have any images appearing on that product and then a sublist of those images:

The Poster Page
    DaVinci
    "Mona Lisa"
    Van Gogh
    "Self Portrait"
    The Coffee Mug Page
    DaVinci
    "Self Portrait"
    Van Gogh
    "Self Portrait"
    The Greeting Card Page
    DaVinci
    "Mona Lisa"
    "Self Portrait"

The deepest level item in any of the 3 index sets represents a product & link to a detail page. It may be painfully obvious by now, but there is a total of 6 detail pages (one for each product in my inventory) and ALL of these detail pages are accessible from one link in each set of index pages described above. (So the quantity of detail links in any index set will always be equal to the number of products in my inventory.)

My Question: Can this setup be accomplished with WebMerge? It doesn't seem to be a typical setup.

Thank you for any help,

Vera

I'm sorry -- it appears my tab stops were stripped out, making my index page examples very difficult to decipher. Here it is again with hyphens instead:

[1] The ARTIST index:

The Leonardo DaVinci Page
    ---"Mona Lisa"
    ------Poster
    ------Greeting Card
    ---"Self Portrait"
    ------Greeting Card
    ------Coffee Mug

The Vincent Van Gogh Page
    ---"Self Portrait"
    ------Poster
    ------Coffee Mug

[2] The TITLE index:

The "Mona Lisa" Page
    ---by DaVinci
    ------Poster
    ------Greeting Card

The "Self Portrait" Page
    ---by DaVinci
    ------Greeting Card
    ------Coffee Mug
    ---by Van Gogh
    ------Poster
    ------Coffee Mug

[3] The PRODUCT TYPE idnex

The Poster Page
    ---DaVinci
    ------"Mona Lisa"
    ---Van Gogh
    ------"Self Portrait"

The Coffee Mug Page
    ---DaVinci
    ------"Self Portrait"
    ---Van Gogh
    ------"Self Portrait"

The Greeting Card Page
    ---DaVinci
    ------"Mona Lisa"
    ------"Self Portrait"

Vera

Sounds to me like you need a four-tier website
    1) Homepage – First index page with links to
    2) Second-tier major indexes: ARTIST, TITLE and PRODUCT TYPE
    3) Third-Tier individual ARTIST pages
    4) Fourth-Tier detailed product pages.

Take a look at the online tutorials by FRED at http://www.web-procreate.com/ and by FRANK (me) at http://www.creativenutsandbolts.com/webmerge/ for pointers on creating four tier websites.

Making three second-tier index pages (ARTIST, TITLE and PRODUCT TYPE ) is a matter of using the WM indexlabel tag to generate your list and links. For example, you would use indexlabel for the ARTIST field in your datafeed to create a list of all the artists with links to the individual artists in the third level.

A four tier website requires 3 WM settings files. In your case you will need a total of 9 WM settings files in order to create the three indexes ARTIST, TITLE and PRODUCT TYPE. When you run each set of three WM settings files, WM will recreate and overwrite the detail product pages. You can configure WM on the generation page to run each setting file sequentially.

If this sounds very complicated, IT IS! I suggest that you start by learning to create a four-tier website with based on ONE category index. The FunToCollect templates and sample datafeed in my tutorial are a good place to start. By the time that you have mastered that, adding another category index will be easier to produce.

Thank you Frank,

I looked at Fred's and your tutorials before even thinking about this setup and they were very helpful. I also took a simpler site I did last year and reproduced it with WM in a fraction of the time. I didn't expect it to be that easy so I thought I'd try something more challenging.

I had a feeling this one wouldn't be as straight-forward, but that's fine. I just didn't want to spend a lot of time on something that wasn't even possible. Now I feel more comfortable with proceeding -- I even have 2 of the most complicated templates mostly working. It's true that it makes more sense as you go -- and sleeping on it helps, too.

Your example of the 4-tier structure is exactly what I had in mind except that I don't think I understand why I'd need the "Third-Tier individual ARTIST pages" but no pages or tier for the individual titles. I'd like to skip your tier 3 altogether and jump straight to the detail pages from any of the major indexes at the tier 2. Is there a reason I couldn't/shouldn't?

Thanks again!

Vera

I thought that I understood that "The ARTIST set has one artist per page with a list of his images..."

Wiht that is mind I thought you would need four tiers

4) The individual titles/images/poroducts would be the fourth tier.

3) The individulal artist would be the third tier.

2) The index of all artists would be the second tier.

1) The home page index with links to the ARTIST, TITLE, and PRODUCT secondary indexes would be the first tier.

Of course if you can do some sort of combination to eliminate one of the tiers, so much the better. If you are combining all the artists (and their works) on the same page then you would only need three tiers. This would look like the format which you posted above.

>>I thought that I understood that "The ARTIST set has one artist per page with a list of his images..."

---------------------------------

That's correct but it goes beyond that....

I didn't bother mentioning Tier 1 because I don't intend to use WM for it (it alway stays the same). But, as you said, TIER 1 would be my home page with links to...

3 different pages at TIER 2: All Artists, All Titles, and All Categories (I call them categories instead of products to keep from confusing them with my product "detail" pages). Each of these index pages would have links to...

TIER 3 where I have a separate page for every different Artist, Title, and Category. So, since I have 2 different artists (DaVinci & Van Gogh), 2 different Titles (Mona Lisa & Self Portrait), and 3 different categories (posters, cards, & mugs), there would be 7 pages on this tier. (See my second post in this thread to see how each page is organized.) From here I would link to...

TIER 4 -- all of my product detail pages are here. There's a total of 6 according to my example (2 kinds of posters, 2 coffee mugs, and 2 greeting cards). You can link to each of these pages from all 3 sets of pages at tier 3.

It's very hard to explain... I'm sure it will be easier to just experiment.

I purchased my license today and finished up a simpler 3-Tier (200 page) site that I started with the demo. I think I have a better idea of how I might solve this now. I'm sure it's a matter of multiple settings (like you said) and careful naming, but how the records are sorted for each setting may also factor in -- particularly for Tier 3.

Thanks again for all your help.

Vera

Vera;

===============
    I'm sure it's a matter of multiple settings (like you said) and careful naming, but how the records are sorted for each setting may also factor in -- particularly for Tier 3.
    ===============

The main thing to watch out for (in addition to getting the WM settings files configured properly) is to make sure that there is no duplication of names between your ARTIST, TITLE, and PRODUCT fields.

For example, is you have a product called "Self Portrait" by both DaVinci and Van Gogh it will be important to reflect this in the product name, i.e., "DaVinci: Self Protrait" and "VanGogh: Self Portrait". Otherwise, the second "Self Portrait" product files encountered in the datafeed by WM would overwrite the first file.

Regards,

FRANK

>>he main thing to watch out for (in addition to getting the WM settings files configured properly) is to make sure that there is no duplication of names between your ARTIST, TITLE, and PRODUCT fields.

For example, is you have a product called "Self Portrait" by both DaVinci and Van Gogh it will be important to reflect this in the product name, i.e., "DaVinci: Self Protrait" and "VanGogh: Self Portrait". Otherwise, the second "Self Portrait" product files encountered in the datafeed by WM would overwrite the first file.

-----------

Definitely -- I'm doing that by naming the detail files with unique product numbers. Normally I prefer using words for filenames (easier to read) but since WM makes it so easy to update anyway, I'm fine with the numbers.

)

Right, but usually the overwriting problem is NOT with fourth-tier detail "product" pages, but rather with the second-tier "Category" and third-tier "SubCategory" pages.

In creating your second and third tiers you are, I assume, configuring WM to use "Category" and "SubCategory" fileds to create file names. It's usually a duplication in the "Subcategory" field that is the problem.

FRANK

>>>Right, but usually the overwriting problem is NOT with fourth-tier detail "product" pages, but rather with the second-tier "Category" and third-tier "SubCategory" pages.

--------------------------

Hmm... I think I understand. Here's my basic naming plan:

Tier 1: index.html (always 1 page)

Tier 2: artists.html, titles.html, productCategories.html (always 3 pages but variable number of links per page; 3 settings files & 3 templates to create these -- files names to be defined in setup, different sort order for each)

Tier 3: davinci.html, vangogh.html; monalisa.html, selfportrait.html; posters.html, cards.html, mugs.html (variable number of pages and links; 3 settings files & 3 templates to create plus ONE template for the tier 4 detail pages below -- files names to be defined by a field, different sort order for each)

Tier 4: dv0001ps.html, dv0002mg.html, vg0001ps.html, vg0002mg.html, etc... (my inventory so variable number of pages; all filenames are unique and generated from my productNumber field; each setting run from tier 3 could generate EXACTLY the same detail files here and even overwrite them so it wouldn't matter at all -- but I'll just set up the first 2 runs to not output any detail pages)

I think this will work. )

Vera

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread