I'm experimenting with the demo version and am VERY happy with the program so far -- but I'm having one minor problem:

It appears that when I try to re-generate pages using the same settings, the old pages are not being overwritten and no new pages are being generated unless I first delete the existing files.

Is there a setting I am not seeing or is this only a limitation in the demo? Or is it meant to be this way? I hope not...

Thank you!

Vera

PS: I am using ver 2.3 for Mac OSX.

It is certainly not meant to function that way even in the demo version.

Might this be a problem of your browser cache being "stuck" on the earlier version of the page? Try reloading the page, perhaps?

Or, you might try reinstalling a fresh version of the demo version.

I don't think it's my cache... I checked the creation dates on the files and they were still the older ones.

I will try reinstalling. Thank you.

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vera:
    I don't think it's my cache... I checked the creation dates on the files and they were still the older ones.

I will try reinstalling. Thank you. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If re-installing doesn't do it please let me know. Much of WebMerge is written on my PowerBook running OS X 10.3, so it should be easy for me to identify the source of the problem from your System Profile report.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

I never ended up reinstalling but ordered my license instead (since I was planning to anyway) and entered that. It works correctly now... but thank you!

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vera:
    I never ended up reinstalling but ordered my license instead (since I was planning to anyway) and entered that. It works correctly now... but thank you! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like a simple misunderstanding of what was happening: the demo version only generates 20 pages, so if the sort order changes between runs it will generate a different 20 pages.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

I knew about the 20 page limit -- I mainly just tweaked the template between tries while testing. I didn't change the sort order in the settings text file. The destination folder contained the same 20 pages -- nothing overwritten or added. It doesn't mean I may not have done something else wrong, but I can't figure out what. All that matters to me now is that it works.

But there is one thing that's been happening that probably has a simple answer: after the pages export and I click the button to open it in my browser, it tells me it can't. I can live without that convenience but it would be handy.

Vera

Hi, that triggered a thought:

That sounds like WM looks where the first Index page should be and can't find it.

That might happen if your filenames have "slashes" in them, causing WM to put them into a whole different directory.

It's something to look into, at least.

-- Mike
    A joy shared is a joy doubled.
    A burden shared is a burden lightened.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> That might happen if your filenames have "slashes" in them, causing WM to put them into a whole different directory.

It's something to look into, at least. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately I didn't save any of those versions so I can't check but I'll try to remember this if it happens again.

Thank you...

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread