Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Although my needs are not nearly so complex a task as creating static HTML pages from an affiliate program's database, I'm still stuck at square one learning Webmerge. So far, I've only been able to create duped HTML files of my template (using my keyword phrases) ...HTML files correctly named with hyphens between keyword phrases. Ordinarily this is a rather long and mundane task itself when done manually.

Otherwise, my assistant and I have been struggling to create a simple 3-tiered website with Webmerge from a pre designed template ...unsuccessfully for about 9 days now. At this point I'd be willing to just pay someone for expert consultation, or for the hands-on project dev itself.

Before throwing in the towel and after speaking with Richard G. on the phone, I decided to post our needs as follows:

Create a 3-tiered website like this:

We want to link from tier one (the index), to multiple tier 2 pages, then on to multiple tier 3 files from their respective tier 2 categories.

According to Richard G, we should be able to use for our "database", a simple .txt tab delimited list of keyword phrases such as:

keyword list
    green keyword list
    keyword list online
    short red keyword list
    another keyword list
    keyword list dictionary
    ...etc.

Unlike publishing from an affiliate program's database, our needs seem to be more "simple." Although in the thousands, we are targeting certain industry's less competitive keyword phrases. In other words, after doing keyword research, we want each phrase to be an actual HTML file, and each HTML file (page) weighted (optimized) for that term by insertion of the phrase into pre designated areas on the document.

To allow for best distribution of PR throughout the site, navigation links must also be created and placed appropriately ...in addition to the actual HTML files being created ...named using hyphens between keywords ...ie: /green-keyword-list.htm.

The problems we are having are threefold. First problem is where and how to associate the tab delimited text file (a simple list of keyword phrases) with Webmerge. After putting a placeholder such as [WM-Field: title] or [WM-Field: keyword] on the template, how does one get Webmerge to add that to the designated area on the HTML file?

Secondly, what placeholder tag would you use (and where would you put it) to make a link in the HTML file? ...example: for the keyword phrase: "short red keyword" to appear within a block of text as a link .../short-red-keyword.htm">short red keyword</A>, what would the [WM-Field: tag] be? Example: there once was a short haired girl who had a short red keyword ...there once was a short haired girl who had a [WM-Field: tag]

Third, we're unable to determine how to link all the pages together (if we were able to create the pages in the first place). Can Webmerge help with navigation links? In other words, using a tab delimited .txt file of keyword phrases, can Webmerge turn those phrases into links (/short-red-keyword.htm">short red keyword</A>, etc.) and add them to a designated area on an HTML file?

That's about it in a nutshell. We have other questions too ...like, can the first letter of title tag words be capitalized, etc. (we'll save those for another time though) ...this is getting rather lengthy.

...any help most appreciated.

JB

I think that WM can do everything that you need it to do. I gets very complicated, however, trying to provide this level of assistance in a forum environment.

It would be much easier to respond to your questions after looking at your templates and datafeeds. I'd suggest that you contract with someone from Richard's list of WebMerge consultants to help you with this project.

Here are, however, a couple of pointers:

First, if you are planning to use a keyword string as the file name, then you will need to make sure that each "string" is unique. Otherwise, you would end up with files being created and overwriting each other with similar file names.

Second, there would be a limitation in the length of the filenames that you can create. I believe that the limit would be around 250 characters (including the hyphens). So, if your keywords averaged 8 letters per word (for example), you could string togher around 25 keywords.

Hi Frank,

Appreciate your reply ...our keyword phrase lists are all unique so there's no worry about duped files. Also, each phrase is only 2 to 4 words in length.

I'd be very interested in contacting someone famliar with Webmerge. Where can I find the list of Richard's WebMerge consultants you mentioned?

JB

I know that Richard put out a call for interested consultants. Send him a PM for more information. I am, I think, simply one of several on the list.

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Baertracks:
    I know that Richard put out a call for interested consultants. Send him a PM for more information. I am, I think, simply one of several on the list. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Email is better than private messages, as I can respond instantly without having to boot the specialized browser required to log in here (this forum does no support Mozilla).

I've received only one submission for the proposed consultants page thus far. If anyone's interested in free referrals please drop me a note with the URL and contact info you'd like posted.

I continue to get a fair number of requests for consultants and will refer them to friends or to this forum until we get at least four consultants for the listing.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Hmmmm...

Given there are no crystal clear, step-by-step instructions available for Webmerge and since there are no consultants listed at this time who could help get us started, perhaps we could post a few explicit, direct, simple questions here and receive some answers. What do you think?

JB

Hey Richard,

I'd like to ask two questions if I may.

First of all, why would you not address the problems I mentioned in my post?

Secondly (and most important), before I continue trying to use Webmerge to produce files, is it possible for us to use (for our "database"), a simple tab delimited .txt file list of keyword phrases, rather than using database programs such as Filemaker Pro, Excel, Access, etc. with rows and columns?

example list:

keyword list
    green keyword list
    keyword list online
    short red keyword list
    another keyword list
    keyword list dictionary
    ...etc.

Thanks in advance,

JB

Most of us WebMergers would like to see Richard concentrating on developing the next upgrade rather than spending a lot of time in this discussion group.

There are a lot of help files, two online tutorials, and hundreds of discussion topics that are quite searchable. I suggest that you read Fred's datafeed and WebMerge tutorial.

Yes, you can use your keyword list as a datasource. Your list is essentially a datafeed with ONE column. The name that you put at the top of the column (keyword list) can be used as the field name to create the WM tags, e.g., [WM-Field: keyword_list]. You can insert that into your template to create meta tags, Page Titles, Heading Tags, linking tags. You can also use it in the WM settings file to create file names.

By the way, I sent you a private message offering with more detailed instructions on how you might proceed.

I will be updating my tutorial in the next couple of weeks, as well as adding more info to the tutorial.

Unfortunately, I am in the middle of moving - so it's tough to find the time to answer questions - my apologies.

Fred

ABW Ambassador
    notepad,

You'll not find a more helpful online community than the one right here at A Best Web...additionally the WebMerge users here are some of the best people that I have had the privelege of dealing with. Most of us "WebMergers" do our best to help newbies out...quite often at our own expense and at some personal risk (each time we help someone out we potentially create a competitor). Personally I'm currently assisting Ms. Woodtick with her project but after that I'd be happy to spend a few minutes of my time helping you get a grasp of the sheer power of WebMerge.

After buying Webmerge and finally being able to create some pages with my template, I'm now unable to create links. Does anyone know how? None of the tutorials (public or corporate) are much help. They state various WM tags available, but give no actual examples ...that I can find ...other than a very elementary linkfirst, linknext, linkprevious style.

standard HTML: &lt;A href="filename.htm"&gt;keyword&lt;/A&gt;

Webmerge.....???

Using a database of keyword phrases with 4 columns seems to work just fine for creating pages and inserting the titles, H tags, text, etc. per associated fields in the database.

However, if I want to use the column named "filename" to insert an html link (from the list of phrases) into a document (where I placed a tag), exactly what WM tag would I use?

[WM-Field: something?]

Also, if I have a target area within my template where I want a list of keyphrases (from the 4 column database) turned into links, how might I do that ...or is Webmerge capable of doing it?

example:

keyword 1
    keyword 2
    keyword 3
    keyword 4
    keyword 5

jb

P.S. - thanks much to Frank who sent me some files via email to get started

JB;

Good to hear that you are making progress.

I still do not have a clear picture of what you are trying to create, but here are some points that I think are relevant to your situation.

First, how you open your source file from within WebMerge will determine the number of WM tags at your disposal. I understand that you have a datafile with four tab-delimited keywords

If you open that file with “PRESETS” set to “NONE” then WM will interpret your data to be ONE field, e.g., keywords. This approach makes it easy to use that field to create WebPages with filename that includes all the keywords (hypened together), but it limits your ability to use WM to insert keywords individually. This is the approach that I thought you were using.

However, if you open that file with “PRESETS” set to ‘TAB-DELIMITED” then WM will interpret your data to be FOUR fields, e.g., Keyword1, Keyword2, Keyword3, and Keyword4. This sounds like the approach that you are now using.

With regards to creating links, if your standard HTML link is
    &lt;A href="filename.htm"&gt;keyword&lt;/A&gt;, and you have four columns of keywords (as described above), then your WM coding would look like this

&lt;A href="[WM-Field: Keyword1].htm"&gt;keyword&lt;/A&gt;

For the most flexibility in using WM, you might want to consider creating a datafile that provides both above options described above. It would look something like this

KW1-KW2-KW3-KW4 &lt;tab&gt;KW1&lt;tab&gt;KW2&lt;tab&gt;KW3&lt;tab&gt;KW4

You would open this using the ““PRESETS” set to ‘TAB-DELIMITED” and WM would read the file as five variables
    KW1-KW2-KW3-KW4
    KW1
    KW2
    KW3
    KW4

Thanks for the input Frank. We've devoted quite a bit of time and energy to mastering Webmerge these last 2 weeks and now have it doing almost everything we originally wanted it to ...with two exceptions:

1 - Still unable to determine WM's ability (or inability) to create a simple list of nav links from a column of keyword phrases.

keyword 1
    keyword 2
    keyword 3
    keyword 4
    keyword 5

2 - Page titles are of course lower case letters since they're the product of keyword research. (I wonder if there's an app that can convert 'em to 1st letter caps?)

Other than these shortcomings, I suppose WM is worth the $cash we spent on it ...does help on some really time consuming tasks.

Alternately, a couple of programmers I know in Austin, TX and another bud here in Houston have all suddenly revealed that they could create a custom software for us that would blow WM totally out of the water ...very interesting.

That's it for now.

...keep in mind that,

I am sure that WM can create the NAV links.

What I am not sure about is when you say that you want those created from a "column" of keywords.

WM processes a datafile record by record (horizontally). So if your datafield has a record/line like "small red wormy apple" then it could create a webpage called small-red-wormy-apple.htm that includes links like the following:

&lt;A href="[small.htm"&gt;small&lt;/A&gt;
    &lt;A href="[red.htm"&gt;red&lt;/A&gt;
    &lt;A href="[wormy.htm"&gt;wormy&lt;/A&gt;
    &lt;A href="[apple.htm"&gt;apple&lt;/A&gt;

The above example is contingent on reading a TAB-DELIMITED combined source file, i.e.,
    KW1-KW2-KW3-KW4 &lt;tab&gt;KW1&lt;tab&gt;KW2&lt;tab&gt;KW3&lt;tab&gt;KW4

If, on the other hand, your datafeed is simply
    small
    red
    wormy
    apple,

then WM reads that as four records. You could create a file called wormy.htm with a next/previous links red.htm and apple.htm

Does that make sense?

By the way, WORD has a lowercase to title case conversion function that you can use.

Personally I think that once you work with WM a bit more you will find that it can provide all the customization that you need.

I personally am highly impressed with the power of webmerge! I've spent 10 days of reading the tutorials and doing my own trial and error. Basically if something works, I keep it, if it don't, I change it. I'm getting very close now, it does have a high learning curve and I'm pretty much an idiot savant when it comes to this stuff (eventually I'll get it to work whether I understand how it does it or not)

I'm also coming to understand this is not something any particular tutorial can cover absolutely, as each person has different wants and requirements.

I'm totally tickled that everyone on this board has helped as much as they have, including Stanley calling me last night to walk me through some of my tough spots and even having the patience to let me repeat things back intil it clicked!

Hopefully today is the day it will be finished!

Though what we're doing with Webmerge is very basic, it suits our needs ...until we can get something better.

When I mentioned keywords in I columns, I referred to a Filemaker Pro database of four columns, each column having the same 2 to 3 word phrases.

keyword 1 | keyword 1 | keyword-1 | keyword 1
    keyword 2 | keyword 2 | keyword-2 | keyword 2
    keyword 3 | keyword 3 | keyword-3 | keyword 3
    keyword 4 | keyword 4 | keyword-4 | keyword 4

In addition to WM creating hyphenated HTML files correctly, it's been able to insert into predesignated areas of the document (per the associated WM tag for each column) the keyword phrases. We had to tweak the list in one column though (putting hyphens between words) so it'd create the links correctly.

Our last final task now is to target a particular area on the file and have WM automatically insert the list of keywords as anchor text links ...hence, nav links ...or in our case, a trail for search engine spiders.

Can Webmerge do it? ...can the big WM pass the test? ...only time will tell.

Tune in again next time kiddies when Frank or another total stranger says, "...hmmm, looks like this could be the problem."

zzzzz

"...hmmm, looks like this could be the problem."

You said:
    ===============
    We had to tweak the list in one column though (putting hyphens between words) so it'd create the links correctly.
    ================

You could probably solve this by using the replace command to replace spaces with hyphens so that they will match the file name that you are trying to link to. For example,where keyword2 is what you want to link to you could use the following:

a href="[WM-FIELD: keyword2 replace(" ","-") nolink].html"&gt;
    Link to &lt;b&gt;[WM-FIELD: keyword2 nolink]&lt;/b&gt;

In comparison, your NAV links should be a piece of cake (and somewhat similar to the above).

If you just want the keyword to appear for the search engines purposes without a link then use [WM-FIELD: keyword2 nolink].

Regards,

FRANK

...ooookaaay.

Let's try this yet one more time.

Surely, someone has a website somewhere they built with Webmerge ...that contains navigation links. I mean, come on ...how the hell is a visitor (or a search engine spider) supposed to get around?

We know how to make a single link with WM (finally after 2 weeks) ...what I need now is to create a LIST of TEXT LINKS from a list of WORDS. ...and NOT by using nextlink, firstlink, previouslink, etc.

Consider that a website might have a thousand pages ...you certainly wouldn't have access to these files ONLY by firstlink, nextlink, previouslink, etc. You would have a LIST of links somewhere ...a navigation group of links.

Is it possible, does WM have a command tag that you can position in a specific area of a document (your HTML template) that will produce a list of nav links from a list of words? ...a list of words that it (Webmerge) is already using to create unique files ...while it also inserts these words into target areas of the document.

In other words, we want EACH page to have a list of text links (for each word we're using) so that ALL pages will be connected together.

This is all I need WM to do ...nothing else. Can this be done?

I think that perhaps what you are looking for is the WM indexlabel tag. Check the WM help file for more information.

You can use this tag on an index page to create a link to each unique keyword in one of your lists. It is really intended to create a list of links to your second level category and third level subcategory pages. You should be able to figure out the coding from the templates in my online tutorial. On contact me by email for more details.

This tag ONLY works on an index page, NOT on a detail page. So, if you want that list of keyword links to appear on each "page, then what you can do is the following:

1)Create an index template using indexlabel tag to generate the list of desired keywords and links.

2) Cut and Paste that list into your detail template.

3) Run WM again to generate (or re-generate) your detail webpages. This time each one will include the list of all the keyword links.

This is a two step approach which will require you to update your detail template each time that you update your website. However, it is the only workaround that I know to create what you are looking for (or at least what I think that you are looking for).

...Richard G., if you're reading this, don't be shy ...jump right in ...this is the point where for that $cash I sent you (for WM & support) your expertise is needed.
    =========================================================

Thanks again for your input Frank ...however, the WM help file is about as clear as mud. For the uninitiated, it might as well be written in Chinese ...with no examples for a group of nav links.

I'm trying real hard to understand how to do this ...if it can be done.

Ordinarily, Webmerge produces links for me like this:

&lt;A href="[WM-Field: filename].htm"&gt;[WM-Field: keyword]&lt;/A&gt;

If I have a list of words in a column (in my database) ...with the fieldname "grouplinks", how might one use this to produce a group of links within a document?

Below is what I'm getting from the WM help file ...with only speculation and experimentation to rely upon.

[WM-Record]

[WM-IndexLabel: grouplinks]

word 1
    word 2
    word 3

[/WM-IndexLabel: grouplinks]

[/WM-Record]

JB

ATTENTION: REWARD OFFERED!!!

I will pay $50. in US funds to the FIRST PERSON who can resolve our last and final problem with Webmerge.

Simply read the previous post, determine the fix, then private message me, email, and/or call to provide the answer ...and collect.

...and yes kiddies, this is a genuine, real offer.

JB

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by notepad:
    ...Richard G., if you're reading this, don't be shy ...jump right in ...this is the point where for that $cash I sent you (for WM & support) your expertise is needed. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For a faster response, rather than posting in a user discussion forum why not simply drop me an email, or make even better use of the $cash and call me on the toll-free number posted on my Web site. My contact info is always one click away from any page at my site.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Thanks again for your input Frank ...however, the WM help file is about as clear as mud. For the uninitiated, it might as well be written in Chinese ...with no examples for a group of nav links. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While I do speak a little Mandarin, I've also published a number of articles on technical issues, co-wrote a book, and have been hired a few times to write instructional materials for software -- all in English.

The example with a group of nav links is in the Examples folder -- see the one with the Congress Contact List.

I'm trying real hard to understand how to do this ...if it can be done.

Ordinarily, Webmerge produces links for me like this:

&lt;A href="[WM-Field: filename].htm"&gt;[WM-Field: keyword]&lt;/A&gt;

If I have a list of words in a column (in my database) ...with the fieldname "grouplinks", how might one use this to produce a group of links within a document?

Below is what I'm getting from the WM help file ...with only speculation and experimentation to rely upon.

[WM-Record]

[WM-IndexLabel: grouplinks]

word 1
    word 2
    word 3

[/WM-IndexLabel: grouplinks]

[/WM-Record]

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

With a description like that you complain about my writing?
    I see what you've assembled, but I don't understand the question.

If the question is "Can WebMarge parse individual words out of a given field and treat them like separate fields", I'm afraid the answer at the moment is no.

But while this is the first time anyone's asked for such a thing, it's an intriguing option which may be useful in other circumstances.

What sort of tag would you expect to write to specify to WebMerge how you want field data broken up and what you'd like it to do with it?

But re-reading your post, it sounds like what you're looking for is an index page. From the English version of the manual, in the section on preparing templates (cryptically titled "Preparing Your Templates"):

For index pages, WebMerge will replicate a portion of your template for each record in your source file. You specify the record portion of your index template using the WM-Record tag.

Any HTML between the [WM-Record] and [/WM-Record] tags will be replicated once for each record. The data within the WM-Record tags can contain other tags, such as WM-Field
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So if the data you want displayed on a page is in the same field across multiple records, as covered in the examples and documentation all you need to do to get your example above working is:

[WM-Record]
    [WM-Field: grouplinks]
    [/WM-Record]

The WM-IndexLabel tag can be useful for grouping records with related info. You may want to use the sort option in the Sources tag to sort by that field so they're all together when WebMerge processes them, if they're not already sorted when you exported them.

The example of the WM-IndexLabel tag is also in the Congressional Contact List example, used to group Congress members by state.

Did I guess correctly on what you're looking for? If not, do you have an example page that illustrates what you're looking for, perhaps with a snippet of your source file so we can see what you have to work with?
    Richard Gaskin

Richard;

I’ve talked with John about this offline, puzzled over it a bit, and think that I understand what he is trying to do (which, I agree, is not described very well in his posting to this group).

He basically wants to take a short one column list of keyword phrases (e.g., red small keyword) and generate WebPages from them that insert that phrase into the title, META tags, text and save the webpage using the same phrase as the filename, i.e., red-small-keyword.htm. No problem, with WM doing all of that.

However, he also wants to embed into EACH of those webpages links to ALL the other keywords in this list, and do this from a one column list of keyword phrases. This is, I think, a function that calls for the indexlabel tag.

My response to John (and please correct me if I am wrong) is that when creating normal “detail” WebPages, like the ones he wants to create, WM processes data row by row. However, he also wants WM to process data vertically from a list of keywords to make the interconnecting navigation links. I said that I thought WM could do this using the indexlabel tag, but only on higher level “index” pages. And to create index pages with active links requires using the index template in combination with detail pages.

However, I do not see a way of getting WM to do both of these operations at the same time, i.e., to work from a single column of keywords to generate the individual pages (red-small-keyword.htm) AND to include interconnecting NAV links for all the keywords on each page. I thought that I might be able to “trick” WM into doing this using two the indexlabel tag and WM settings files, but I cannot find a workable combination.

I proposed a workaround method to John which would use Excel to automatically copy his list of keywords and insert them horizontally into additional fields in the spreadsheet. This would allow him to export the data in a format that could do what he wants to do. However, it is not, I think, the simple solution that he is looking for, and I have not heard from back from him. He may be off looking for other software to do this job.

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Baertracks:
    My response to John (and please correct me if I am wrong) is that when creating normal “detail” WebPages, like the ones he wants to create, WM processes data row by row. However, he also wants WM to process data vertically from a list of keywords to make the interconnecting navigation links. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is where I get lost: he wants to process the data "vertically" but not "row by row"? Since rows are vertical I'm not sure what's meant here.

For such a highly-specialized (so specialized it defies clear description &lt;g&gt need I would be surprised if any out-of-the-box solution were available for this.

As I said before, I'd be happy to see if I could add a tag for this if someone will point me to an example of what the source data looks like and what the resulting page should look like.
    Richard Gaskin

ABW Ambassador
    If you have 10 categories, each with 30 records, each set of 30 records would have links to each of the other 29 records in that category.

Is this what is being asked here? Is this what the person is trying to do? A way of cross-linking all of the items in the different categories?

If it is, this is what I have been working on this week

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast