On my index pages for some reason the sub categories are getting duplicated. Anyone know why this would happen? For ex:

Link to sub cat 1
    Link to sub cat 2
    Link to sub cat 3
    Link to sub cat 1
    Link to sub cat 2
    Link to sub cat 3

Nevermind, I got it! My export file wasn't sorted.

I had to sort it and save it in Excel for this to work. Why wouldn't the "Sort records by field" option in WM work? I did have that selected...

Well then, nevermind my post either!

the obvious question is . . .

Have you checked for duplicate HTML coding in the template? Try using notepad to search your raw HTML codes for duplicates (rather than a WYSIWYG editor).

If that doesn't work, try rebooting your computer.

> rather than a WYSIWYG editor

I think that's an insult!

It's not dup code, I'm doing this all by HAND in notepad. Plus, there's nothing but barebones HTML in there so I can see everything is fine there.

Now, I do still have to problem. I got to to work once, but now it seems to be back at it. I could be wrong, but it seems to have something to do with sorting. Any ideas?

Are you using the the WM table generation tag combined with the WM indexlabel tag?

How about posting the WM coding for us to take a look at? If you don't want to post in publicly, then send me a private message.

Regards,

FRANK

Funny, I normally always (pre) sort in Excel, in addition to sorting in WM - so I'm not sure about why it wouldn't work (sort in WM).

I would bet money your problem is in your data feed file though.

Fred

Frank,

Here's the WM code I'm using:

<body>
    <p><b>CATEGORY: [WM-Field: MAINCAT nolink]</b></p>
    [WM-Record]
    [WM-IndexLabel: SUBCAT]

<p><a href="[WM-Field: CLEANSUBCAT nolink].html">[WM-Field: SUBCAT nolink]</a></p>
    [/WM-IndexLabel]
    [/WM-Record]
    </body>

Fred,

If it is my data feed how would I find the problem? What would I look for?

Thanks guys.

I suspect, but have not confirmed, that the duplication problem may lie with using TWO WM tags for CLEANSUBCAT and SUBCAT between of the IndexLabel tags.

What happens if you use just a standard linking tag like [WM-Field: SUBCAT] (just for testing purposes)?

What are you "cleaning" with CLEANSUBCAT? If it is simply to replace one character, I am wondering if a replacment command might not work for you, e.g. something like replace [WM-Field: SUBCAT replace (" ","-")].

> TWO WM tags for CLEANSUBCAT and SUBCAT
    > between of the IndexLabel tags.

Hmmm.. I bet that's it. I'll try it tonight, that stinks if it is though.

> What are you "cleaning" with CLEANSUBCAT?

I'm cleaning out 3-4 single characters, plus about 4 whole words, plus improper spacing. I thought of using the replace command, but figured the way I was going was a simpler solution. Looks like I might have to use the replace method though. Any idea if WM can handle all that with the replace function?

I don't think that the replace command can handle multiple terms (but I could be wrong).

Is using the [WM-Field: CLEANSUBCAT] tag not an option? If you cleaned out "improper spacing" wouldn't you also want the correct spacing to appear as the text on the page (which it won't if you use SUBCAT.

Regards,

FRANK

> I don't think that the replace command can handle multiple terms

It can, I jsut figure there might be a limit. I'll try that tonight as well.

> [WM-Field: CLEANSUBCAT] tag not an option?

No, I've removed stuff that would make it look bad to users, but is good in the file names.

> cleaned out "improper spacing" wouldn't you
    > also want the correct spacing to appear as
    > the text on the page (which it won't if you
    > use SUBCAT.

Subcat is cleaned as well, just not as indepth.

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pw:
    Frank,

Here's the WM code I'm using:

&lt;body&gt;
    &lt;p&gt;CATEGORY: [WM-Field: MAINCAT nolink]&lt;/p&gt;
    [WM-Record]
    [WM-IndexLabel: SUBCAT]

&lt;p&gt;&lt;a href="[WM-Field: CLEANSUBCAT nolink].html"&gt;[WM-Field: SUBCAT nolink]&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;
    [/WM-IndexLabel]
    [/WM-Record]
    &lt;/body&gt; <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Be sure that's only being used in an index page, as detail pages don't use the WM-Record or WM-IndexLabel tags.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    If it is my data feed how would I find the problem? What would I look for? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The most common issue is with comma-delimited files in which the "Text values are in quotes" option is turned on inappropriately.

I just revised the next version of the documentation to include this note in the section on the Sources tab:

---
    NOTE: The "Text values are in quotes" option means ONLY text values are in quotes; numeric and empty values are not quoted. That option exists to help the program conform to Microsoft's specifications for CSV files, and while there are many other inconsistencies with CSV files exported from different Microsoft products nearly all of them identified as "commas-separate" or "CSV" use this quoting convention.

The advantage of not having to use "Text values are in quotes" (in addition to parsing the file correctly) is that you'll find WebMerge will run through it's "Setting up" phase much faster without it. Accomodating Microsoft's CSV format is a very time-consuming process, but files with a simpler format like tab-delimited or Merge get parsed by WebMerge in one quick move.

-----
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread