Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

a

a

[ 04-26-2002: Message edited by: SpaceBandit ]

ABW Ambassador
    Hasn't that always been one of the elements of ranking? Links-in count? Why wouldn't affiliate links count?

Could someone post some links that would evidence this?

BTW that's a strange way of saying prove I think. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[ 12-08-2001: Message edited by: Heyder ]

a

[ 04-26-2002: Message edited by: SpaceBandit ]

If you are using "http://www.qksrv.net" links, then it shouldn't help the merchants page rank, but rather qksrv.net or CJ's page rank.

I rank higher than many of my merchants and especially on specific keywords for their product. Some of my advertisers you can search for their name and I will come up before they do. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Zero changes on this end and yes I have been spidered very recently.

Maybe there's a lack of competition for my keywords.

ABW Ambassador
    It appears that I have been black listed on some specific keywords/terms. is there any way to find out if google has black listed my site(s)?

I've been spidered too in the last few days.. can't see any changes yet

big chuck, you are not blacklisted or your site would not show up in google, period, but your site is there, its an algo change

ABW Ambassador
    will it change back?

Big Chuck,

The Algo will change but probably not back to what it was. I think they constantly tweak the algo to provide better results and to keep webmasters from figuring it all out to the point where someone could dominate the results for every keyword they choose.

we are shagged baby!

corporate commercialization of the internet has begun

its not art and its not science,
    its the march of the giants

[ 12-08-2001: Message edited by: austin powers ]

quote:
    If you are using "http://www.qksrv.net" links, then it shouldn't help the merchants page rank, but rather qksrv.net or CJ's page rank.

I agree 1,000,000%! I find that they have booted the aff links and not improved merchant rankings based on qksrv links in!

quote:
    we are shagged baby!
    corporate commercialization of the internet has begun

I called this 6 months ago on CJU!

I see it only getting worse ... we need :shiver: content and then we are back up I have been black balled on many #1s and am infuriated! It is a corp eat corp world and we are the chum (for a change!)

We have been screwed and we definitely need to find out the 5 W's!

Haiko

Hi!

What is it we're saying here, that affiliate links are getting penalised? I said that already. There are a few different ways round it.

Or did I miss something and theres another problem? If there is a government initiative to 'fix' the web, eventually they'll come to the conclusion they need to own Google.

I figured something like that will happen sooner or later, because by now the usual suspects will have noticed theres lots of money being made but their own snouts seem to have mysteriously missed the trough.

Googles still privately owned, isn't it? I Wouldn't want to be whoever insures *their* lives.

f

[ 12-09-2001: Message edited by: francis ]

If affiliate sites are being blocked and 'content' sites are not, how are each identified.. no one's gonna sit down and check a billion sites so how do the SE programs decide?

[ 12-09-2001: Message edited by: Spiderman ]

ABW Ambassador
    I think they have identified quicserv links, linkshare, befree, and all the rest, and have penalized sites with those links. the more third party links you have, the more you get penalized.

I don't know what they did, but my sales have been booming the last 2-3 days. So far, I think I like it! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    do you have a web site? whats the url?

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    I think they have identified quicserv links, linkshare, befree, and all the rest, and have penalized sites with those links. the more third party links you have, the more you get penalized.

Big Chuck, that just can't be the case. My site has hundreds of links -- every one of them an affiliate link. There is NOTHING else there -- not a single non-affiliate link, not a single bit of non-affiliate content.

Big Chuck,
    Don't be paranoid, even content sites have lots of affiliate links. If this become true, nothing will be left of the net but the merchants itself.

i search for some popular keywords in google
    and got a lot for affiliate link.
    i think just about google algo.i remember that's people here said google wake up a bit every week

i hope google not affiliate with ppc SE that effect for list. or they need money for XMAS? or new budget for next year then...

>>I think they have identified quicserv links, linkshare, befree, and all the rest, and have penalized sites with those links. the more third party links you have, the more you get penalized.<<

I have 11 or 12 affiliate links on nearly every one of my 2,500+ pages, and I'm doing pretty well with Google. (For example, I'm #1 for "short-term car leasing," ahead of the companies that offer that service.) So I don't think the presence of affiliate links is bad per se.

I'd guess that the ratio of links to text may be a bigger issue than whether those links are affiliate links. Still, it's certainly possible that too many affiliate links on a page (especially in relation to the total amount of text) might raise a red flag. Google may feel that a person who types in "widgets" is likely to want in-depth information on widgets rather than links to widget vendors. Google may also feel that the person who types "buy widgets" may be more interested in going straight to a merchant than in getting there indirectly.

What's the solution? Maybe it's to provide more editorial, editorial, or sell copy, so that the affiliate links become a smaller (and less important) part of the whole.

[ 12-09-2001: Message edited by: europeforvisitors ]

I'd like to know where or how we came up with the conclusion that this has anything to do with affiliate links at all.

I see no evidence to support this claim!

A new algorithm isn't going to bring the world a crashing down. :eek:

Better Luck Tomorrow [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    "A new algorithm isn't going to bring the world a crashing down."

It's just another thing to figure out.

ABW Ambassador
    I think I have got it figured out.

It might take a couple of months, but I think I'll get my traffic back. I might not get it with site A, but site B still has a chance. Here is what I think...

My site is getting ranked with Google for keywords that are related to my main theme, and that's it. "buy cosmetics"? not the theme of my site. "coupons" - yes, according to the front page of my web site. So, that means all the pages I have made promoting certain products, will never get found.

I knew my progress was to good to be true. It seems that everything on the web is to screw us, or make us bendover backwards for the rich companies on the web.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast