Hi,

Can this be done?

I want to set webmerge to write index pages using the "Name based on contents field" and have multiple index pages IF reached a certain number of entries.

thanks in advance

Glad to find your post, thought I was going mad not being able to create multiple indexs with a name from contents field broken down by number of records. Really surprised it can't be done (or not that I know how yet)

Really hope someone can help

This is one of the features that is promised in the next upgrade. However, if you want something NOW, then here's a workaround that I described in "Lessons Learned in Using WebMerge" that may be helpful to your situation. I wrote:

=========================
    WM provides an option to create a new index page after “n” items OR when a variable name changes. What I need is a feature that combines the two, i.e., creates a new index page after “n” records WITHIN a category.

My workaround is to redefine the field “Category” to create a new field called “CategoryNBR” in my datafeed that changes every “Nth” record for categories with more than 24 products. For example, in a category of 100+ products called “Ballpoints” I now have Category names called “Ballpoints” (records 1-24), “Ballpoints1” (records 25-48), and so on. I then set WM to create index pages based on the contents of the field “CategoryNBR.” This does the job, but it does require some extra data manipulation each time I download a new datafeed.
    =========================

There is more information related to using this approach posted later within "Lessons Learned".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Baertracks:
    My workaround is to redefine the field “Category” to create a new field called “CategoryNBR” in my datafeed that changes every “Nth” record for categories with more than 24 products. For example, in a category of 100+ products called “Ballpoints” I now have Category names called “Ballpoints” (records 1-24), “Ballpoints1” (records 25-48), and so on.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you do this in excel? do i count every 24 row and type increment the "NBR" or is there a formula for doing all this?

thanks.

One way to semi-automate this in Excel is to create two new columns after your CATEGORY field - one called NBR and one called CATEGORYNBR. Let's assume that they are columns A, B, and C

If for example you have 300 products in the same category that you want to split on to separate index pages (24 at at time), the NBR field would consist of 24 1s, 24 2s, 24 3s, etc.

In the CATEGORYNBR field (C column) you use the formula =(A2&B2) to append B2 (NBR) to A2 (CATEGORY). The result will produce CATEGORYNBR. Copy this formula down your spreadsheet.

Once you have the two columns created and formula inserted you can then browse through your datafeed to identify the categories that you want to subdivide. For those categories, paste as many sets of numbers into the NBR field that you need.

Frank, you're charging for this right?

Heheh...

Fred

Fred;

I guess that the trick would be to make the explanation so confusing that people will decide it is easier to hire a consultant to do the job for them.

Perhaps we have been too clear and straight forward in providng online help!

FRANK

thanks Frank!

i browsed over your sites and you dont seem to have any pay per click ads.

most of the time, i go to some helpful buddy's site and pay my karma by clickn on PPCs.

Thanks Frank for all the help.

No problem.

I operate on the "Pay It Forward" principle.

So be prepared to assist other struggling WebMergers someday.

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Baertracks:
    No problem.

I operate on the "Pay It Forward" principle.

So be prepared to assist other struggling WebMergers someday. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Pay it forward" is the currency of programmers. None of us software folks would get anywhere if not for the help we get from others in the community.

It's a wonderful thing that you're encouraging that in this community -- thank you.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by T.N.T.:
    Hi,

Can this be done?

I want to set webmerge to write index pages using the "Name based on contents field" and have multiple index pages IF reached a certain number of entries. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not quite yet, but as noted it's planned for a future version.
    In the meantime the Excel trick will cover you for now.

While I'm not sure if I can include that feature in the next free upgrade (it may have to wait for v2.5, as it's a deep code revision) I can tell you that in addition to the other goodies coming in WebMerge v2.4, I've been doing some optimizing so it will be somewhere between 50% to 90% faster than it is now.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread