Hi All,

This should be an easy question for anyone using WebMerge. That may even include me soon!

I just trying to figure it out for the first time. I think that I have the detail template done right.

I'm now setting up the index page for a single tier site. What is the WM Tag to put where I want the menu, or links to detail pages to go? I want to run the menu vertically down the left hand side of the page in a table. I assume I put a WM Tag where I want it to start and WM does the rest.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Ken

Hi Again,

Sorry I made a mistake.

I am trying to build a two tier site, not a single tier site.

Ken

Hi Ken,

First set up a template page. I use tables and set them up exactly how I want the finished page to look.

Next I add the webmerge tags inside the tables. For instance if you want your index to run down the left hand side vertically, you just put the Webmerge tags inside that table. When you run webmerge it will put the data in the table that you specified.

Hope that helps.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

zimmy has it right. Put the tags where you want the links from the data feed to go. The finished index page(s) will have the info automatically inserted there.

Here is a typical index tag arrangement:

[WM-Record]

[WM-Field: field_name_from_your_feed nolink]

[/WM-Record]

Good luck.

Fred

Hi Guys,

Thanks, that did it!!

I said that I think I got the details template right. WRONG!!!!

But I see most of my errors, so I'll works on them. But I didn't see anything at all about multiple records per page.

I have 45 records. How do I get 15 per page, then break and put the next 15 on another page and then the last 15 on the last page?

And will I get 3 menu items on my index page for each of the 3 details pages?

Thanks for your help. I think that I am close to getting this thing.....just a little more to learn.

Thanks again,

Ken

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ken Walton:
    I said that I think I got the details template right. WRONG!!!!

But I see most of my errors, so I'll works on them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You may want to take a look at TagMaker in the Tools menu. It lets you point-and-click your way through writing tags quickly and with error-free syntax.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    But I didn't see anything at all about multiple records per page.

I have 45 records. How do I get 15 per page, then break and put the next 15 on another page and then the last 15 on the last page?

And will I get 3 menu items on my index page for each of the 3 details pages? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See the Index Pages tab -- there's a section there for defining when WebMerge creates a new index page, and one of the options is to make a page break when a specified number of records has been reached.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Richard,

I looked at the Index Tab and see what you mean. In fact, I just realized a better way of sorting out a feed than I had done. Thanks.

I think that you misunderstood what I was asking:
    "I have 45 records. How do I get 15 per page, then break and put the next 15 on another page and then the last 15 on the last page?

And will I get 3 menu items on my index page for each of the 3 details pages?"

I want to have 15 records per DETAIL page. Is that possible? I want to build pages sort of like the Product Showcase Creator does. I figured if I put the WM-Code in 15 table cells and then ask for 15 records per page, that it would be able to make 3 pages and then add 3 links to the index file. Or doesn't if work that way at all?

Great program! Thanks for your help with it.

Ken

ps: I still can't get the ALT to work.

"ps: I still can't get the ALT to work"

Ken, have you try with this yet:

&lt;img src="[WM-ImagePath: IMAGE_URL]" alt="[WM-Field: Name raw]"&gt;

When I started using WM, I had some problems with the links too but latter I found out that my problems was caused by FrontPage changing the code just before I saved the page.

quote: By me:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
    This is what I was told to do:

&lt;a href="[WM-Field: BUYURL]"&gt;Click here for details&lt;/a&gt; and or this:

&lt;a href="[WM-Field: BUYURL raw]"&gt;Click here for details&lt;/a&gt;

But not one of those example work on my page, so no wonder I was getting desperate and mad when I heard that that was the way it works.

Well, it depend on what you use it and how do you use it, in order to make it work the way you want it to work.

This are my two tips:

I use FrontPage Explorer to do most of my pages and in order to hide the affiliate tracking code from the detail page when using Webmerge I find out that instead of doing this: &lt;a href="[WM-Field: BUYURL raw]"&gt;Click here for details&lt;/a&gt;

I must do it this way: &lt;!--webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" startspan --&gt;&lt;a href="[WM-Field: BUYURL raw]"&gt;Click here for details&lt;/a&gt;&lt;!--webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" endspan --&gt;

Because FrontPage sometime likes to change your code after just before you save the page.
    ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Have you read this thread yet?

Sal.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread