Seems to me that ver 2.3 is buggy.

For eg the hyphenated version doesnt overwrite '(apostrophe) as a hyphen and an ' is illegal in a file name.

Also similar column names with an underscore dont read from the database. For eg

if you have two cols one named PRODUCT_UNDERSCORE and one named PRODUCT_NAME the hyphenated version doesnt read the second column name.

It might had to do more with the datafeed you're using, so far I have not encounter the buggs you mentioned.

There are some datafeeds that I don't even bother to use because they're poorly made and I don't waste my time with those, not because I can't make then work after tweaking them but because I won't be tweaking them every time they need to be updated.

With many of the decent datafeeds out there, you will not have any problem using WebMerge, some feeds need more tweaking than others and some feeds are not worth the time to even try to make them work with WebMerge.

Sal.

I'm also finding some feeds are more trouble than they are worth.
    I've just spent 2 days tweaking one, it wont work at all unless in the original form and that just won't do.
    I'm not real saavy with workarounds, but if I can't get it to work in webmerge, it's probably the feed.

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Squirrel:
    Seems to me that ver 2.3 is buggy.

For eg the hyphenated version doesnt overwrite '(apostrophe) as a hyphen and an ' is illegal in a file name.

Also similar column names with an underscore dont read from the database. For eg

if you have two cols one named PRODUCT_UNDERSCORE and one named PRODUCT_NAME the hyphenated version doesnt read the second column name. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not likely a problem with WebMerge, as the program determines the boundaries between field names based on the delimiters you set for field names, and makes no distinction between underscores, hyphens, or any other characters in that context.

If there were such an issue, given the number of people using it that would likely have been reported and fixed long ago (v2.3 has been widely used in real-world builds for many months now).

When you say a hyphen is "illegal", in what contex? Is WebMerge giving you an error message?

If so, the problem most likely lies with the delimiters used for the feed. Double-check those, and if the problem persists please email me a recipe for reproducing it and I'll see what I can do.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    When using data which includes apostrophes or periods in it to name the pages, WM lets those characters through without changing them to dashes.

My pages with periods in the filenames seem to come up okay, but I remember a time that any file name with an apostrophe or unexpected period in it would go straight to 404sville. So it makes me cringe every time I see it!

I never complained because the pages were displaying despite those characters making it through.

I can PM or email you a URL if you want...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> When you say a hyphen is "illegal", in what contex? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Squirrel was saying that an *apostrophe* is illegal, not a hyphen:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> and an ' is illegal in a file name. ~Squirrel <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The complaint is that the apostrophe (') is not being turned into a hyphen for the file name.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    When using data which includes apostrophes or periods in it to name the pages, WM lets those characters through without changing them to dashes.

My pages with periods in the filenames seem to come up okay, but I remember a time that any file name with an apostrophe or unexpected period in it would go straight to 404sville. So it makes me cringe every time I see it!

I never complained because the pages were displaying despite those characters making it through.

I can PM or email you a URL if you want...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> When you say a hyphen is "illegal", in what contex? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Squirrel was saying that an *apostrophe* is illegal, not a hyphen:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> and an ' is illegal in a file name. ~Squirrel <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The complaint is that the apostrophe (') is not being turned into a hyphen for the file name. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Period should be a valid part of a filename. If that's not correct please point me to a reference that shows it's disallowed and I'll bookmark to refer complainers to when I remove it.

I had allowed apostrophe by request, but while I could find no authoritative source telling me with any certainty whether it's allowable erring on the side of safety I just disallowed it for the next build.
    Richard Gaskin

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    I had allowed apostrophe by request, but while I could find no authoritative source telling me with any certainty whether it's allowable erring on the side of safety I just disallowed it for the next build. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good Thank you

FWIW here is a set of characters not allowed:-
    http://www.med.nyu.edu/rcr/rcr/nyu_v...ctorynames.htm

| ; , ! @ # $ ( ) &lt; &gt; / \ " ' ` ~ { } [ ] = + & ^ &lt;space&gt; &lt;tab&gt;

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Squirrel:
    FWIW here is a set of characters not allowed:-
    http://www.med.nyu.edu/rcr/rcr/nyu_v...ctorynames.htm

| ; , ! @ # $ ( ) &lt; &gt; / \ " ' ` ~ { } [ ] = + & ^ &lt;space&gt; &lt;tab&gt; <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for posting that. Though it's not a complete list (it doesn't address the upper 128 chars), it's pretty much what WebMerge does. Now I have a URL to send people who complain about how WebMerge works.
    Richard Gaskin

Sure Also the error log screen cannot be shut down if your screen is set on 600*800.
    Some of us have to set the larger res cos the eyesight is not so hot.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread