ABW Ambassador
    Tonight when I tried to use a datafeed with webmerge, it's putting / on the end of every single URL and I can't work out why.

I'm only using a standard datafeed that has worked perfectly fine before.. anyone got any ideas - I know it must be something simple but I'm missing it!

Just one idea that might find the problem.

If that datafeed was working fine with WebMerge before, the first thing I would check is the datafeed itself and make sure they had not included the / on the new updated feed.

Open the datafeed with Excel, WordPad or any other program and check what is at the end of those URL's, sometime when we get a new feed update they might come with some bug that was not there on the previous datafeed.

Sal.

ABW Ambassador
    I've checked it in excel and as a tab delimited text file and there's no / on the end of the linking URLs

Did you check the first line on the feed?

Examples: <span class="ev_code_RED">/</span>
    \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
    ( ProductID|Name|MerchantID|Merchant|Link<span class="ev_code_RED">/</span>|Thumbnail| )

( ProductID,Name,MerchantID,Merchant,Link<span class="ev_code_RED">/</span>,Thumbnail, )

( Name Keywords Buyurl<span class="ev_code_RED">/</span> Thumbnail )
    \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Any mistake on the first line, will cause a problem on the entire feed too.

Sal.

ABW Ambassador
    No problem in the first line either.

For the life of me, I just can't work out what's causing this /

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SamyT:
    Tonight when I tried to use a datafeed with webmerge, it's putting / on the end of every single URL and I can't work out why.

I'm only using a standard datafeed that has worked perfectly fine before.. anyone got any ideas - I know it must be something simple but I'm missing it! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What does the data in the field in question look like, and what tag are you using to insert it?
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

ABW Ambassador
    I insert [WM-FIELD:deeplink] into html tags, I've used this method many times before to insert the URL into the image and a text link. It has always worked before but now, whatever I do I get a / after the buy url.

ABW Ambassador
    What's wrong with the encoding in this URL?

http://www.australian-native.com%2Fc...ducts_id%3D311

I didn't do the encoding and the / as described above isnt showing in the source code of these pages. Does anyone know what's happening here?

For some reason Webmerge is inserting extra characters in the URL. This happened to me too. I had a case where I had an extra space in my datafeed.

For example the product id number was 456 78 and it should have been 45678.

Check your datafeed and see if you have unnecessary spaces. What happened with me was Webmerge would insert strange characters in place of those spaces into the URL. That looks like what it is doing for you as well.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

It looks like th URL encoding doesn't like the fact that you encoded the /'s. Try this one:
    www.australian-native.com/catalog/product_info.php%3FcPath%3D37_44%26products_id%3D311
    If I'm not mistaken, you only need to encode the special characters (?,&, etc) to make it work.
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

ABW Ambassador
    K, I'll give that a try. Anything is worth a shot

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zimmy:
    For some reason Webmerge is inserting extra characters in the URL. This happened to me too. I had a case where I had an extra space in my datafeed.

For example the product id number was 456 78 and it should have been 45678.

Check your datafeed and see if you have unnecessary spaces. What happened with me was Webmerge would insert strange characters in place of those spaces into the URL. That looks like what it is doing for you as well. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WebMerge does not insert charters into field data per se, but it does replace characters with valid HTML entities as per ISO 8959-1 so they will render properly in a browser.

If you have field data which consists of a valid URL, all you need to do is add the "raw" attribute to your WM-Field tag to tell WebMerge not to perform the ISO 8959-1 conversion:

[WM-Field: MyUrlField raw]

If your feed erroneously contains spaces or other unwanted characters in the middle of data where it should not, that's beyond the scope of things WebMerge can correct for.

If you find any exceptions to WebMerge's documented behavior email me with the recipe to reproduce the issue and it will be corrected ASAP. To date, all reproducible issues have already been addressed.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread