ABW Ambassador
    {I posted this in the datafeed forum but got no response...reposting here with the hope of receivig a response}

I'm putting together a custom datafeed for a small selection of my own products in MS Excel to export for use with WebMerge. However the issue I am running into is that when exporting as a CSV or TXT file some of my descriptions are being converted to strings of pound signs "#"! I know MS Excel is supposed to have an in cell character limit of 255(?) but some of these descriptions are shorter than that and yet don't seem to be exporting correctly. Is there a way to 'force' Excel to export the data correctly? Is there some sort of in cell character limit when exporting that I am not aware of...if so what is the maximum number of characters that can be exported as CSV or TXT per cell?

I temporarily 'fixed' the issue by truncating the descriptions to 150 characters in another field and then using that field in WebMerge but I'm losing more than I would like of my descriptions...

Thanks for your help!

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Use a database instead of a spreadsheet?

I would check the formatting you're using for the field-names (columns) in the feed file. When it's saved as a Tab or comma delimited file - it really ought to work (even now).

Perplexing.

Fred

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Drewbert:
    Use a database instead of a spreadsheet? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the response Drewbert...I looked at converting the Excel file to Access (which I have) but there are things I do to the feed in Excel (like Concatenation) that I don't know how to do in Access. I also looked at FileMaker Pro but the price is out of my reach for this particular project ($299.00).

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buy_online:
    I would check the formatting you're using for the field-names (columns) in the feed file. When it's saved as a Tab or comma delimited file - it really ought to work (even now).

Perplexing.

Fred <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fred,

It is perplexing but I'm pretty sure it's an "Excel" thing and not a "WebMerge" thing. That's why I originally posted in the datafeed forum. I may input the data into Excel, then import it into Access, and then export as a Word Merge file. That should work but it's a nuisance having to go through those extra steps.

ABW Ambassador
    OK...after a long day of 'Googling' here's what I came up with.

Still no explanation of WHY some text was being exported as '#' signs; however I did come up with a work around.

1) Change any dollar amounts to plain text (that means you have to actually type in $1.99 or whatever)
    2) Export the Excel sheet as PIPE delimited instead of CSV, comma delimited text fie, tab delimited text file, or other format. PIPE is the only one I found that didn't screw up the longer lines of text. Maybe becuase to export in PIPE delimited takes a seperate macro and is not actually part of excel itself?

http and a telephoto
    How are you exporting to pipe delimited?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I'd like to know that, too! I wanted to export an Excel file as pipe-delimited recently, and couldn't figure out a way to do it.

-- Mike
    A joy shared is a joy doubled.
    A burden shared is a burden lightened.

http and a telephoto
    Thanks Stanley, I knew one had been posted a while back, but I have changed computers and lost the orginal macro
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    No Big!

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stanley Holtsclaw:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Drewbert:
    Use a database instead of a spreadsheet? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the response Drewbert...I looked at converting the Excel file to Access (which I have) but there are things I do to the feed in Excel (like Concatenation) that I don't know how to do in Access. I also looked at FileMaker Pro but the price is out of my reach for this particular project ($299.00). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you have a spare computer sitting around?

Download a free Linux CD, install it on the computer. Then you have all the tools you need to work on datafeeds without having to try and make Excel do things it really wasn't intended for.

wget, curl, grep, mysql, scp - it's all there and all free.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread