Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Let's use this topic to help new Webmerge users.

Back in July I was looking for any info about how to use a database on my site and I was referred to abw, to make this story short:

After she send me here, I spend a couple of days reading all I could find here about the databases but then I get lost reading all the general posts in abw that I soon forget the main reason I was here and now I'm glad that I came to abw because I learned more stuff in here in a few months that probably would have take longer to learn otherwise.

Now back to Webmerge.

About two months ago I downloaded the free version and after playing around with a couple of datafeeds I was not able to hide the affiliate tracking code from the detail page, even after I read the help file and the posts in this forum, so I give it up and and put Webmerge away, once in a while I open it and keep on experimenting but again could not find how to hide the link.

Yesterday I finally find the solution to my own question by thinking outside the book.

This is what I was told to do:

<a href="[WM-Field: BUYURL]">Click here for details</a> and or this:

<a href="[WM-Field: BUYURL raw]">Click here for details</a>

But not one of those example work on my page, so no wonder I was getting desperate and mad when I heard that that was the way it works.

Well, it depend on what you use it and how do you use it, in order to make it work the way you want it to work.

This are my two tips:

I use FrontPage Explorer to do most of my pages and in order to hide the affiliate tracking code from the detail page when using Webmerge I find out that instead of doing this: <a href="[WM-Field: BUYURL raw]">Click here for details</a>

I must do it this way: <!--webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" startspan --><a href="[WM-Field: BUYURL raw]">Click here for details</a><!--webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" endspan -->

Because FrontPage sometime likes to change your code after just before you save the page.

BTW, I also learn to hide it from the status bar by doing it this way:

Buy <!--webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" startspan --><a href="[WM-Field: BUYURL raw]" onmouseover="window.status='Click for more details';return true;" onmouseout="window.status=' ';return true;">Click here for details</a><!--webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" endspan -->

I hope this help somebody today because this was the information that I was looking for few weeks ago and I just have to figured out by myself.

Yes, I know that when you learn how to do something new, it may look so simple to do that you may forget how you was feeling the day before you learn how to do it.

(60)

[This message was edited by Fourth World on December 02, 2003 at 12:08 PM.]

Thanks for the info, jan72. You are correct that we sometimes forget how we felt prior to learning something new.

I think WM is basically simple, you just have to figure out the basics of what makes it work. THAT was the hard part for me. You have to know exactly where to put the field commands on the template page, and what goes before and after them. Not that there's anything particularly difficult about it, you just have to make it to that point before the light bulb lights up.

Andy

Now I see it, five days pass by and not a single tip is posted here to help new Webmerge users.

Thanks Andy, at least so far you are the only one that understood the meaning of "we sometimes forget how we felt prior to learning something new."

Anyways, even if I'm the only one posting here later about WM tips, I will be happy that I help someone.

I still practicing with the free download for now but I will definitively will buy it by the end of this month, because I know now that I will benefit once I get the paid version.

On the mean time and even after I buy it, every time that I get stuck on some "how-to do that" issue, if it takes me more than 24hrs to figured out, once I learn how to doit I will posted here in order to help another new WM user.

Affiliate Manager
    Here's my contribution to the pool:

TagMaker is your friend. Get v2.3 and try it out (see the new Tools menu).

TagMaker lets you point and click your way through creating WebMerge tags, which can be copied in one move for pasting into your favorite HTML editor.

TagMaker can also display the appropriate section of WebMerge's tag reference while you work, so you can easily become familiar with all of the options for each tag.

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any site

Affiliate Manager
    A Tip on Getting Started with WebMerge Templates:

For the quickest orientation to the product, starting with the Overview page from WebMerge's Help is ideal. That page provides a high-level look at setting up and using WebMerge, with an illustration outlining the workflow. The section there provides an intro into what WebMerge templates are and how to use them.

The WebMerge Help page titled "Preparing Your Templates" is a good starting point for more detailed information on templates. From the top of that page:

----------
    Preparing Your Templates

WebMerge uses templates to generate Web pages. A template is simply
    a standard HTML page with special placeholder tags. WebMerge replaces
    those tags with the corresponding data from your source file.

You can design your template pages using any HTML authoring program,
    including Macromedia Dreamweaver, Adobe GoLive, BBEdit, or even Word
    Pad.

If you need to generate pages instantly and don't need a customized
    layout, WebMerge also provides an option for generating simple
    templates automatically for you.
    ----------

Three complete example sets are included in the package, with working templates to illustrate the basics of using tags.

Once you get the hang of it, most of the documentation is in the Tag Reference, which describes all of the options for the 22 tags currently supported.

A the product's popularity grows we're seeing a change in our customers: For the first three years most of the folks using WebMerge are Web professionals, including a wide range from Web designers to affiliate storefront managers. But in the last year I'm meeting a greater number of people who don't know HTML at all but could still benefit from rapid database publishing.

So while most of our customers prefer the flexibility of creating their own custom templates in their favorite HTML editor, one of the reasons I included the new plug-in architecture in v2.3 was to provide a foundation for adding template editing tools in the future. A tool for modifying the layout of auto-generated templates is being designed now for inclusion in the coming months.

In the meantime, working with WebMerge provides very simple auto-generated templates.

--
    Richard Gaskin

Thanks Richard

I was waiting for some reply to, "Leave a WM tip here"
    But I think that people that see the Help icon on the post, just don't even botter to read this post thinking that it is just someone asking for help.

I may have made a mistake by putting that icon, but my main purpouse was for anybody that had a tip about how to use WebMerge, to post it here for new users.

By the way, since you are the Moderator of this forum, fell free to change that icon if you can to a more inviting one...

I think the title is good, but the icon is not.

<small><b><font color="blue">If I can make here, I make anywhere, it up to me to make it happen. When I'm rich an famous, I may send you a postcard ~~~~~ ("From the movie, The Jerk")</font></b></small>

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jan72:
    Thanks Richard

I was waiting for some reply to, "Leave a WM tip here"
    But I think that people that see the Help icon on the post, just don't even botter to read this post thinking that it is just someone asking for help.

I may have made a mistake by putting that icon, but my main purpouse was for anybody that had a tip about how to use WebMerge, to post it here for new users.

By the way, since you are the Moderator of this forum, fell free to change that icon if you can to a more inviting one...

I think the title is good, but the icon is not.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I poked around in the admin tools and couldn't find a way to change the icon. Maybe board guru Haiko knows the secret.

I don't think it's too bad, and the number of posts and ever-growing number of views will help encourage folks to click in here.

--
    Richard Gaskin

Affiliate Manager
    Today's tip: How to get Really Fast Technical Support

If you encounter unexpected results using WebMerge, here are steps you can follow to resolve the issue quickly and get back to work with minimal downtime:

1. Review the portion of the WebMerge Help pages for the tag that's giving you trouble. More than half of all technical support requests are answered fully by simply quoting from the manual. I hate manuals as much as the next person, but when using something as flexible as WebMerge it's almost like programming, and the time invested in learning the language (the WebMerge tags) will pay for itself many times over.

2. Search this forum to see if the answer is already here. A lot of smart folks have posted some excellent tips here, and in many cases you can find the answer in under a minute with the forum's Search facility.

3. If you don't find the answer in the manual or in this forum, please send me an email containing a description of the problem with a list of steps needed to reproduce it, along with the relevant files needed to reproduce it (settings files, templates, source file). When sending a source file please send one that's no more than 2MBs; I get a lot of email, and when a source is trimmed to the relevant portion that evidences the anomaly it better ensures a timely response.

When requesting support, please also include your system info (OS version, WebMerge version, amount of RAM, etc.). For your convenience there's a System Info utility available right in the program (Help-&gt;System Info). Just copy the info there and paste it in your email.

Please keep in mind that it's usually only possible to resolve issues that I can reproduce here. Once I can see the issue I can usually resolve it quickly, but if a file's not sent or the description of the problem is vague, it will cost more of your time when my reply is a request for those things rather than your solution.

I'm fairly obsessive about keeping people happily generating pages with WebMerge, so if you need support these steps will help you get the most out of the program, often in far less time than you'll find with most software vendors.

--
    Richard Gaskin

Affiliate Manager
    Today's tip: How to get Really Fast Technical Support

If you encounter unexpected results using WebMerge, here are steps you can follow to resolve the issue quickly and get back to work with minimal downtime:

1. Review the portion of the WebMerge Help pages for the tag that's giving you trouble. More than half of all technical support requests are answered fully by simply quoting from the manual. I hate manuals as much as the next person, but when using something as flexible as WebMerge it's almost like programming, and the time invested in learning the language (the WebMerge tags) will pay for itself many times over.

2. Search this forum to see if the answer is already here. A lot of smart folks have posted some excellent tips here, and in many cases you can find the answer in under a minute with the forum's Search facility.

3. If you don't find the answer in the manual or in this forum, please send me an email containing a description of the problem with a list of steps needed to reproduce it, along with the relevant files needed to reproduce it (settings files, templates, source file). When sending a source file please send one that's no more than 2MBs; I get a lot of email, and when a source is trimmed to the relevant portion that evidences the anomaly it better ensures a timely response.

When requesting support, please also include your system info (OS version, WebMerge version, amount of RAM, etc.). For your convenience there's a System Info utility available right in the program (Help-&gt;System Info). Just copy the info there and paste it in your email.

Please keep in mind that it's usually only possible to resolve issues that I can reproduce here. Once I can see the issue I can usually resolve it quickly, but if a file's not sent or the description of the problem is vague, it will cost more of your time when my reply is a request for those things rather than your solution.

I'm fairly obsessive about keeping people happily generating pages with WebMerge, so if you need support these steps will help you get the most out of the program, often in far less time than you'll find with most software vendors.

--
    Richard Gaskin

I believe you can edit the icon by editing the first post.

Don't quote me on that though.

--
    "The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches, but to reveal to him his own." – Benjamin Disraeli
    --
    Ford Fox-body Owners Club -- http://www.ford-fox.org

heres my lil contribution.

i know this is preety basic. but it took me quite a while to figure this out. i think i got it from this forum but i cant pinpoint out where or got it from trial and error. sorry i cant remember.

to set a css class or style to a WM-fieldname in an index template.

[WM-Field: fieldname class=stylehere]

hope this helps.

i got a few codes copied from this forum given by other ABW members here.it would be nice if we could have a summary of sorts of every code, hack or trick that was discussed here.. right?

best regards,

prix

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FFoc:
    I believe you can edit the icon by editing the first post.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed I can, and did. Thank you.

Anyone know why Mozilla has trouble logging in here? I can use this forum with Microsoft Internet Explorer and Apple's Safari without difficulty, but after changing to Mozilla the login form keeps asking me to log in, without any explanation of why my login wasn't accepted. Curious....

--
    Richard Gaskin

hi, i know this is extremely basic for most of you here..but this is taking me quite a lot of time doing trial and error, experimenting etc.

all i want is to have this tag

[WM-ImagePath: image_url]

and insert this on the output,
    width="95" height="126" border="0"

so that no image gets overboard and destroy the table dimensions.

thanks in advance.

prix

I discover this today:

While I was working on this datafeed (CJProductsUpload.csv.txt) from wonderfulbuys.com,

I notice that out of the 308 pages generated, many had extra ( - ) dashes on the html names, something like this example:

Epil-Stop----Foam.html

So in order to make it look better like this:

Epil-Stop-Foam.html

I edit this line on the feed:

Before: Health and beauty,Epil Stop® & Foam,6-in-1 Hair Removal System

After: Health and beauty,Epil Stop Foam,6-in-1 Hair Removal System

I just removed the ® and the &
    and leave just one espace between Stop and Foam

and the product page went from this Epil-Stop----Foam.html to this Epil-Stop-Foam.html

Now is just a matter of keep editing the other products {name} or just use it as is.

Ok here is one more:

Health and beauty,IGIÁ Platinum™ Nails,"Beautiful Nails...Quickly,

will do this: IGI--Platinum--Nails.html

replace the Á with A and remove the ™ if you want this: IGIA-Platinum-Nails.html

Another use I found for WebMerge today.

I made some templates for the CJ publisher_performance and the cj_report, now I can see all I want in any order, by advertiser, sales, commissions, by month or the entire year, etc...

I'm glad I bought the full version, now is only a matter of time before I became an expert at WM, everyday I try to learn how to do something new and different with the datafiles.

One more tip:

If you are just beginning to experiment with WebMerge and data files, the best way to star experimenting is by running WM in test mode, with less than 50 or 20 records at the time.

The main reason is that it will be faster and easy to check for errors in the directory that the files get build.

At first I was creating 1000 files at the time, just to see how fast it was but, then when I change some setting sometime files will not overwrite all the previous files and I wind up having duplicate files with just a different name and some new directories build too, making it more difficult to delete those files specially when you have the templates and the datafeed on the same directory.

I was not going to post no more personal tips here because of the way I see it now. Most of the experienced webmerge users here wish webmerge stop getting more new customers because it will create more competition on the affiliate marketing business but, even today thay I my agree on the Idea, I will not agree on the principle.

EXAMPLE: (stupid example but think abou it)

100 affiliates have a page selling shoes, 97 pages are 100% identical but, one page description add's size and color, another best price and another the history of shoes. Now you will have 100 shoes pages listed on the search engine if they search for "shoes" but..... If I have to say the rest, then you have no business on this business, sorry.

----------------------------------------

Big tip:

What ever you do, never upload the entire datafeed if you are going to change it or deleted like in 24 to 72 hours later, I know I what I mean, you may get mad (not to say a bad word).

(I have a script on my site that will send me a email everytime I get a 404 page.)

Just after 3 days after I already had my first luggage database uploaded, I decided that I had a better idea for the description pages so, I deleted all the 1300 pages I already had online and I uploaded 1300 new pages with my new idea and the (manure) hit the fan.

Wow, I din't know the gun was loaded.

Maybe luck or maybe chance but, a certain seach engine (that I will not mention) just happen to have all those 1300 first pages indexed and on the 2nd round, do not find those pages so, I wind up receiving 1300 emails of page not found (404's), I don't complain about those emails since that is the way I set my script to inform me, I just learn that you can get all your pages indexed at any time and with out any warning, so before you leave all those pages online, make sure that that is what you want your visitors to see.

http and a telephoto
    Not a WebMerge tip, but a 404 error tip, you might want to check with your host about setting up a custom 404 page. I have one with links to all my current sites that has the title "Where did it go?" and am getting a ton of hits from the links on the pages. I did a major site redesign, changed servers and "cleaned up" a lot of old pages that were still ranked in the search engines and this was an easy way to capture all those hits. I was terrified to do a total site makeover until I found out how to do this.

Some hosts have this built in, others you will need to install a script to make it happen. I am sure others can add pointers about that. Since I am now on a dedicated server I just had to tell the config file what page I wanted to be my 404 page and then create that page. I can make a different one for each domain or have one generic for all.

Deborah Carney
    Cool ~~ Networks

I know about that, but I rig my pages to send me emails when somebody or any search engine go there, I know how to avoid the 404's, I just got a trick of my own that my visitors don't get the 404, but I will know that that page is dead.

(Tricks of the trade)

Actually, Loxly's tip is more than it seems. For example, if you re-run your datafeed for xyz merchant, and there are documents that are no longer current, what do you do with them?

I have a process, but wonder what others do, so as not to present 404's or stale pages.

Fred

You might just be a Redneck if - Birds are attracted to your beard...

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I am still trying to figure out how to use Webmerge.

My pages come up but they have no content on them and I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Also, when I save my Excel file to a txt file, which text format do I use?

Also once I have made the pages how do I upload them to my website?

Thanks in advance.

&lt;P class=sig align=left&gt;&lt;FONT face="Comic Sans MS,Sans-Serif" color=red size=4&gt;&lt;STRONG&gt;Diane&lt;BR&gt;&lt;/STRONG&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;FONT face="Times New Roman,Times,Serif"&gt;&lt;FONT color=purple&gt;&lt;STRONG&gt;Interested in Philosophy? Visit my forum: &lt;/STRONG&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;A href="http://forums.delphiforums.com/kabbalists/start"&gt;&lt;FONT color=purple&gt;Philosophy, Spirituality &amp; Kabbalah&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/A&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/P&gt;

I save my Excel files as "Text (Tab-delimited)". WM reads those with no problems.

Not sure I understand your question about uploading, but I use a few different FTP programs to upload the files WM creates. WS_FTP and FlashFXP are the two that see the most use around here.

-- Mike

"Men travel faster now, but I do not know if they go to better things."
    -- Willa Cather

http and a telephoto
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buy_online:
    Actually, Loxly's tip is more than it seems. For example, if you re-run your datafeed for xyz merchant, and there are documents that are no longer current, what do you do with them?

I have a process, but wonder what others do, so as not to present 404's or stale pages.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use Beyond Compare to compare the files in the new directory offline with the directory that is online and delete the files that shouldn't be there. Then the custom 404 page kicks in.

It isn't perfect, but it keeps the visitors. I have toyed with putting a search box on the 404 page, but haven't researched it yet.

Deborah Carney
    Link up!
    Submit your sites, if you fit the criteria
    http://coolcraftsites.com/directory
    http://coolpetsites.com/petlinks

&lt;b&gt;If you need a good free text editor to use with data feeds, you may like Crimson Edit text editor.&lt;/b&gt;

&lt;b&gt;Thanks to Tibbs and Sil, for mentioning the editor on another post.&lt;/b&gt;

&lt;b&gt;Change Case&lt;/b&gt;
    Upper Case – Convert the selected text to upper case
    Lower Case – Convert the selected text to lower case
    Capitalize – Capitalize the selected text
    Invert Case – Invert the case of the selected text

Find... – Find the specified text
    Replace... – Replace the specified text with different text

&lt;Plus many more features.&lt;/b&gt;

I tested one datafile and I liked the &lt;b&gt;Change Case to Adjust Capitalization&lt;/b&gt; and the &lt;b&gt;Find and Replace&lt;/b&gt; functions.

I'm posting the link here because I know some WebMerge users will find this program useful.

"While it can serve as a good replacement for Notepad, it also offers many powerful features for programming languages such as HTML, C/C++, Perl and Java." http://www.crimsoneditor.com/

Sal.

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Sal:
    If you need a good free text editor to use with data feeds, you may like Crimson Edit text editor.

Thanks to Tibbs and Sil, for mentioning the editor on another post.

Change Case
    Upper Case – Convert the selected text to upper case
    Lower Case – Convert the selected text to lower case
    Capitalize – Capitalize the selected text
    Invert Case – Invert the case of the selected text

Find... – Find the specified text
    Replace... – Replace the specified text with different text

&lt;Plus many more features.&lt;/b&gt;

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the list. I should be able to add fully automated support for all of those right in WebMerge by v3.0 if not sooner.
    Let me know if you think of other text operations that would be useful.

--
    Richard Gaskin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast