If I understood correctly, Frank's tutorial suggests:

a.) Sorting the columns using the following hierarchy: tier 1, then 2, then 3, then 4 and so on. Excel can only do 3 at the most, but I found this can easily be accomplished with Filemaker.

b.) Evening up the tiers by copying the last tier for a given row over proceeding blank columns.

Has anyone made imbedded index pages for a multiple tiered datafeed of this kind successfully? There must be a generic, systematic way to go at this.
    I've been at it for a week but to no avail. My templates/config files are otherwise identical to those in frank's tutorial.

Nothing would please me more than to get this setup working even though I'm still quite the webmerge newb, I would appreciate any debugging tips or suggestions in general.

*sigh*
    Fourthworld customer support isn't answering.
    Should anyone be interested in helping me out with this issue, for a fee if need be,
    please email jfabrega@softhome.net.

I can help you with setting up webmerge to produce multi-tiers but I am not understanding what you mean about the columns in Excel.

Can you give a more detailed description?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

Sure.

Excel seemingly can only sort by three columns at a time

Filemaker, on the other hand, can deal with the 7 tiers.

Once columns are sorted "overhangs" remain.

Frank's tutorial suggests copying the last tier in a given record into the blank cells which follow it. This seemingly doesn't do the trick.

I'm almost certain that the trick lies in sorting records correctly somehow.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Can you give a more detailed description?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess you answered that question!

If you leave the blank spaces in your spreadsheet, then you will have blank spaces when webmerge runs. Therefore you have to put the same data in the following columns. For example on your last screenshot, row 2 columns F,G, and H cannot be left blank. They should all read "All Accessories".

You are going pretty deep into the hierarchies. How many connecting Webmerge files are you using?

Some thoughts on your webmerge files:
    Are you sure that each webmerge file is properly connected to the others? For example... on wmfile #1's detail page. You set "name based on contents of field". Is that the same exact setting for Wmfile #2, index page, "name based on contents of field?"

Or - on the generation tab, did you set the webmerge files to run in the proper order? 2-4? I am thinking you probably have 4 or 5 different webmerge files to run with the amount of hierarchies you are running.

Those are some things that I remember having to fix to get the 5-tiered heirarchy to run properly.

What problem are you having when you run webmerge?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

I am not sure that I understand the question completely, but that is my fault Is this a question of sorting?, or of utilizing the very lowest tier of information (column "H" in your example)?

I normally sort by the lowest tier, then let WebMerge do it's first build. Many times, I might ignore the lowest tier category, and just go with the lowest complete one (in your examples, this would be Column "G"). Let's also not forget that WebMerge can sort records itself.

No to present you with even more confusion, I have in the past put a formula in the lowest tier (column "H" in your example), that fills an empty cell with the data in the next highest tier (column "G" in your example). So for record 27, "Accessory Bags" would be repeated again in column "H"

Doing it this way can have strange results. For example, if there are a lot of empty cells in column "H," then you may end up with lots of repeats of what is in the next higher tier - too many in fact to have manageable file sizes when you are done.

What happens when you run WebMerge using Column "G" as your lowest tier? Does that still leave the file sizes too large, or not enough drill-down capability for the site visitor?

BTW, the excel formula for replacing an empty cell with something is:
    =IF(H27=0,G27,H27) Using your example. I would write the formula in a new column and empty cell to avoid a circular reference. If you use that formula in cell I27, it will return the value "Accessory Bags." If use that formula in cell I34, it will return the value "Rain Covers." (don't forget to change the values in the formula to match the row that you want an answer for. All I do is build it for one cell, and then simply copy and paste all the way down the column one time, then the entire thing is done.

I have probably confused everyone - sorry. Hope this helps.

Fred

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread