Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Dear Fellow WebMergers;

Every once in a while you discover a Webmastering tool that takes to you the next level. WebMerge is that kind of a program. I have been using WebMerge for about five months. Using WebMerge I have created thirty multi-tier websites and more than 100,000 Webpages.

Prior to WebMerge, I had developed my own convoluted work-around system to create Webpages for my website CreativeQuotations.com using Paradox database, Word Perfect Templates/Merge, ASCII exports, and a WORD Macro. I thought I was doing great to be able to generate and upload 6,000 WebPages in a couple of hours. With WebMerge, I can now do the same task in fifteen minutes!

Of course, those 15 minutes only came about after several laborious days of trying to pierce the mysterious veil of understanding of WebMerge, and several more days of perfecting the templates and tweaking WebMerge settings files.

There are still a lot of WebMerge features that I have not yet mastered. However, I now feel comfortable enough some aspects of WebMerge to put together the kind of tutorial that so many WebMergers have been asking for. But first, however, a few qualifications:

First, this is a work in progress, a beta version tutorial. Use it at your own risk. It certainly contain errors, which I hope you will help me correct.

Second, the steps and methods proposed here are simply one way of constructing websites using WebMerge. Use these as a starting point, and then improve on them.

Third, if you find this tutorial useful, and if you decide to buy WebMerge, then please tell Fourth World to credit Baertracks with your referral sale.

To access the tutorial please proceed to my website CreativeNutsAndBolts.com/ or go directly to the first tutorial page located at http://www.creativenutsandbolts.com/webmerge

Good Luck!

Have a Creative Day!
    FRANK, Baertracks
    Be More Creative

Thanks Frank!

good job, very well done!!

Uh...yeah but......I guess, I was hoping to see something like a template or something that showed how stuff gets on the pages, uh sort of.

Uh...OK, thanks. Aw, heck....So what does it do? I think the index just makes a linked list. I guess, the category does the same. I guess you could cut and paste it onto real pages.

We need to see some very basic templates. You know. Like, "If you want links across the top, do this. If you want links down the side, do this. If you want the categories in the middle with sub-categories underneath but smaller, do this."

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!
    Affiliates, before you use CJ merchants, Read This! Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

[This message was edited by SSanf on March 01, 2004 at 11:19 PM.]

Nice Job Frank.

Richard asked me a couple of weeks ago to work on a tutorial for the product. I will still go ahead and publish it when it's done, as I have already started it.

You have done a nice job though, and a nice service to many here who need the help.

Fred

Are you sure the nurses know you're using the computer?

SSanf;

I think you may be missing the point (and least the point that I am trying to make with this tutorial).

The trick to creating four-tiered websites is not so much the templates (and how stuff gets on the pages) but how the templates are run from a sequence of WM settings files.

Try downloading the datafiles, and running the WM settings file.

Have a Creative Day!
    FRANK, Baertracks
    Be More Creative

Fred;

I think that WebMerge deserves several tutorials from a number of experienced perspectives. Perhaps yours will be more along the lines of what SSanf is looking for. I look forward to seeing and learning from yours.

Have a Creative Day!
    FRANK, Baertracks
    Be More Creative

No, I understand what you are trying to explain. At least, I think I do. But, how do I make pages I can actually use with this information? Without the rest of the story, what use is it to me? I understand my question goes beyond the scope of the question you were addressing.

You addressed the question well, I believe. But without the rest, what good is it? I have no use for plain white pages with linked lists and products found at the last link.

I haven't tried it but that is what I believe this will produce. Am I wrong?

Are there any sample templates at all? Last I heard, there were none. They would be extreemly helpful, if done as I asked for. Just something showing how to get the things in places where you want them on the pages, like down the side, across the top and so forth.

I know you are trying to help and all that is good information. But, having only half the information you need available is very frustrating. It is a tease and is upsetting.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!
    Affiliates, before you use CJ merchants, Read This! Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

[This message was edited by SSanf on March 01, 2004 at 11:43 PM.]

SSanf there is a zip folder that Frank added too! it has all the settings and templates. go to his website its there and very clear

I agree with SSanf

And, that's the bottom line because it's my2cents!

Zip folder? OK I see a link for a data file. I was assuming that that was just a spread sheet of the data. (I already have plenty of spread sheets) I will look at that tommorow and see. Thanks.

I would LOVE it if someone would create a simple set of generic templates in several different styles. One showning top navigation, side navigation and other variations. Nothing anyone would really use without adding their own colors backgrounds, text and so forth. It could include the word "Heading" where a person is supposed to put their own heading and so forth. I would want something VERY generic so sites would NOT come out all the same. The templates would require personal input.

[This message was edited by SSanf on March 01, 2004 at 11:49 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    Baertracks, maybe if you realize that you're starting from a position of experience, somewhere years in advance of most of us, then you might think of a tutorial as one that starts from the beginning . . . as in . . . FOR beginners. Who knows, showing the basic steps requested could provide you with substantial income . . .<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> posted March 01, 2004 11:36 PM
    I agree with SSanf<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>ditto

Brian
    aka Cyclone

Entreprenuer is French for a person who cannot hold a job~!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I like it. I don't really see how it could get any clearer! There's even screenshots showing exactly what to tell WM to do!

Good luck explaining it any clearer. There's a *reason* I ignored family suggestions to be a teacher ( )!!

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

You would have made a great teacher

Fred

Are you sure the nurses know you're using the computer?

Leader, it is probably good that you are NOT a teacher. You would rapidly loose patience because you would not be able to understand why things that are very clear to you are so incomprehensible to many others.

You are quite smart, I know. That puts a big communication gap between you and much of the rest of the world. I know they have shown that when there is a certain IQ gap between people (20 points, as I recall) understanding breaks down to the point that little communication is possible beyond very basic every day stuff.

Good job Frank. This is very helpful information. This should help accelerate the learning curve. I have question. Forgive me, I know it’s a bit off topic. Do you develop websites full time or is this a part time pursuit. How long would it take someone who still has to work a real job (and thus only has a few hours a week to dedicate) to master these techniques?

Wow, thank you Frank, I'm dyslexic and have trouble reading manuals, give me visual aids and everything makes sense.

I've only had a quick look and found the screenshots and already it doesn't seem as daunting. I'll be going right through it as soon as I put a new site to bed.

I've only downloaded the trial of webmerge but if I can get it up and running I'll be happy to give credit to Baertracks.

Well done Frank!

It took me a little over 16 hours to get the 3 tier plan to work with your tips in the 'things learned' thread. Most of the time was spent getting the generated pages to look like a sales site.

This tutorial would have cut it down to 30 minutes or less.

An excellant tool.

Frank

"Just the facts, Ma'am"
    Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

I just bought webmerge. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THAT TUTORIAL!!!!

I think you just made the price worth it. I know I wouldnt have figured it out myself. I

Aloha!
    Joe

Thanks for the feedback. I have added the following clarifications to the tutorial introduction:

This tutorial is NOT intended to be a general WebMerge tutorial. Rather, it addresses one specific issue -- using WebMerge to create multi-tier Websites. This is, I think, one of the key features that WebMergers have been struggling with, and one that I felt competent to address.

The tutorial does include a some generic templates. However, I intentionally kept them to a barebones minimum in order to focus attention on the tutorial theme. Perhaps I over (or under) did it!

Having a variety of templates that demonstrate how and where to insert datafeed information into a WebPage would be nice to have, but would also, I think, require a separate tutorial. I know that is one (or more) tutorials in the works. Perhaps these issues will be addressed in them.

Have a Creative Day!
    FRANK, Baertracks
    Be More Creative

Frank,

You did a excellent job and it is very appreciative.

I was able to create almost a complete site by using your template examples I was able to create a FOUR-TIER site in one evening.

http://www.electronics-company.com

Of course, I still havent figured out what to put on the index page.

I was wondering if there is anyway to add just a few product descriptions to the index template?

Thanks again Frank

Jeff

Frank, Great job and thanks for the examples. What more can anyone ask for!

You can not posibly every awnser everyones questions. By prepairing this tutorial you have with me and i hope others made a problem come in to focus and have given new insite to the possibilities of this program.

This forum has provided lots of helpful information and i hope to be able to contribute myself.

thanks,
    dave

Jeff;

Congratulations. It looks great!

I generally include selected/featured products and their images in table cells on the center/right side of the index page (with the left hand column of the same table showing the categories). Of courese, there is a lot of other content that could also be put into that space.

An easy way to do this is to first run WM to generate the entire website, then browse through it to cut and paste selected products to paste into the index template. Using a WYSIWYG editing program like Front Page makes this relatively easy.

You could either use images/links to specific products or to an illustrative product. For example, you might use the image of the JVC camcorder, but make the link to the Category page, i.e., Camcorders-.html. BTW, why the space after Camcorders?

Once you have inserted everything into the index template, then run WM again and it will generate your new index page (and regenerate all the other pages too).

By the way, I notice that your prices do not include a dollar symbol. I generally do this by formatting the data within Excel. However, an easier way would be to add the currency sign just befor the WM tag, e.g., Our Price: $[WM-FIELD: PRICE]

Have a Creative Day!
    FRANK, Baertracks
    Be More Creative

Affiliate Manager
    Frank, you rock!

That's a wonderful work -- I'm excited to be adding a link to it from my site this week.

Thank you for putting that together.

There's a second tutorial coming as well, and between two such excellent works we'll be able to get folks hapily generating tons o' pages more quickly and easily than ever before.

A+! Thumbs up! and kudos!

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any site

Whoa this is really good! Thanks!!!

Richard;

Thanks for a great product! I look forward to seeing another tutorial from a slightly different perspective.

Have a Creative Day!
    FRANK, Baertracks
    Be More Creative

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast