Hi, I'm happy to have found WebMerge, it looks awesome. I've gone through the tutorials and played around with it quite a bit and still haven't figured out how to do what I want.

I have an Excel spreadsheet with 14,000+ records of colleges/universities, campuses, areas of study, and specific degrees. It's all one big table, so a school with say, 2 campuses, one with 4 degree programs and the other with 2, will have 6 records, all basically the same information except for the degree received and/or the campus information (city, state).

I need to create a static HTML page for each school, listing its campuses and programs offered as line items at the bottom of the page, after describing the school and programs in general. You can see what kind of pages I mean by clicking on any school on this site: http://www.legalcareersonline.org

I could break the data down into separate tables, but from what I can tell, in WebMerge, the campuses and programs offered seem to be the stuff that would go on the detail page. Right?

Is there any way I can get this data to appear on the same page as the school information, the way that detail records appear in Access? I sure hope so. If not, any recommendations for another way to present the info or sort it differently or?

Thanks.

Sharon

I am not sure exactly what is in each record, that you want to pull out and present. However, WebMerge can put all or some of the data (your choice) from a record into your page.

Are all of the school locations in the same record, or are they in different records in the datafeed file (database)?

Fred

Fred, thanks for your reply,

Here's an example:

Record #1
    College Name Campus #1 City in Texas Criminal Justice Undergraduate Associate

Record #2
    College Name Campus #2 City in Florida Criminal Justice Undergraduate AssociateAssociate

Record #3
    College Name Campus #3 City in New York Criminal Justice Undergraduate AssociateUndergraduate Associate

Record #4
    College Name Campus #4 City in Utah Criminal Justice Undergraduate Associate

All 4 records are for ONE school, so I'd like to create one page, but list the schooo's 4 campuses on that page. In this case, they all offer the exact same degree programs, but in some cases, each campus offers different degree programs. It would be nice to list each campus' offerings individually but I'd settle for just getting them all listed on one page. But it doesn't sound like this is possible. ;-(

Hi:

If I understand what you're trying to do, I have an idea:

1) Sort your data by College Names, so all entries for each college are grouped together.

2) Set WM to change to a new index page when the College Name field changes. There's a choice for that in the Index Page tab. That way each index page would only list the entries (however many there are) for one college. The first time a new college entry appeared it'd be started on a new index page.

-- Mike
    A joy shared is a joy doubled.
    A burden shared is a burden lightened.

What Mike said

Fred

I'll give that a try, thanks!

Sharon

Perhaps it is understood from Mike and Fred's comments, however, in order for the suggested approach to work it will be necessary that the field "College Name Campus" be an exact match.

If you have entries like "Univ. Flordia Miama Campus" and "Univ. Forida Tampa Campus" it will not work. If that is the case, then you should create a new field (call it "College") and change those entries to "Univ. Florida". Then, use that field to create the new index pages.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread