Hi All, I've read through a lot of the helpful posts in this forum but can't find a solution to this problem. When I build index pages with columns, I get blank table cells between links like this:

<tr>
    <td valign="top">
    <a href="Item1.php">Item1</a><BR>
    </td>
    <td valign="top">
    </td>
    <td valign="top">
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td valign="top">
    </td>
    <td valign="top">
    </td>
    <td valign="top">
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td valign="top">
    <a href="Item2.php">Item2</a><BR>
    </td>
    <td valign="top">
    </td>
    <td valign="top">
    </td>
    </tr>

This is the code I'm using to create above:

[WM-Record cols=3 width=500]
    [WM-IndexLabel: CATEGORY_NAME]
    [WM-Field: CATEGORY_NAME]
    [/WM-IndexLabel]
    [/WM-Record]

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks,
    Keith

1) Check how your datafeed is sorted. Is there any chance that there may be blank records or values interspersed in the feed?

2) Try adding an extra closing code (or two) at the end of the table, i.e., /td></tr></table>/td></tr></table> instead of just /td></tr></table>.

Another thing I have noticed when I have a problem with my tables and adding extra cells -
    There is a HUGE difference between:

and:
    [WM-Record cols=3 width=500][WM-IndexLabel: CATEGORY_NAME][WM-Field: CATEGORY_NAME]

Take out the <br> tags. You can also experiment with adding different tags inside the different columns. That makes a difference as well.

Here is an example of how it works really well for me:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="100%" height="138">
    <tr>
    <td width="33%" height="69">[WM-Record cols=3 width=500][WM-IndexLabel:
    CATEGORY_NAME]</td>
    <td width="33%" height="69">[WM-Field: CATEGORY_NAME]</td>
    <td width="34%" height="69">[/WM-IndexLabel][/WM-Record]</td>
    </tr>
    </table>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

Frank, My database is sorted correctly and there are no blank records. The extra table closings do partially fix their other bug where index tables aren't generated properly, though.

zimmy, Your solution for putting all my WM code on one line fixed the blank table cells problem. I don't understand why that should make a difference and I hope they fix that someday so I can write each tag on a separate line - it's easier to read and edit that way.

Thanks to both of you for your help!

Keith

In my experience separating code using <br> does NOT create a problem with tables. However, any other type of HTML table codes, like <dt>, does create problems.

Once you get it to working properly without any codes, try "gently" adding a <br> to see what effect it has.

This has also been my experience.

Frank,

Thanks for your valuable tutorials and for all the help you give people on this forum. Webmerge should hire you as a consultant or something.

The problem I had doesn't seem to be as much with the <BR>'s as with writing the tags on separate lines in my template.

For example, this caused problems:

[/WM-IndexLabel]
    [/WM-Record]

and this didn't:

[WM-Record cols=3 width=500][WM-IndexLabel: CATEGORY_NAME][WM-Field: CATEGORY_NAME][/WM-IndexLabel][/WM-Record]

I would rather do the former because it's easier to read and edit if I need to, but I can live with the latter if I have to. I just don't understand why putting each tag on a separate line in the template causes a problem and stringing all the tags on one line doesn't. Odd.

Thanks again, Frank!

Keith

As long as it works, that's what counts.

What HTML editor are you using? Perhaps that is creating the difference, i.e., as the file is saved the editor may be adding extra coding that WM doesn't like.

FRANK

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> What HTML editor are you using? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Believe it or not, I'm still using Homesite 1.2 which came out in 1996. It's little more than a text editor so there shouldn't be extra characters coming from it. If I was using a WYSIWYG editor, I would assume there were extra characters and all sorts of other garbage happening.

Thanks again,
    Keith

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'm still using Homesite 1.2 which came out in 1996. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...a fellow HomeSite addict?

Yeah, it's just so simple and effective that I can't give it up. I've downloaded trial versions of Dreamweaver, newer versions of Homesite, and other stuff I don't remember but it all seems so bloated that I just keep sticking with HomeSite 1.2.

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Squidnunc:
    Your solution for putting all my WM code on one line fixed the blank table cells problem. I don't understand why that should make a difference and I hope they fix that someday so I can write each tag on a separate line - it's easier to read and edit that way. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The problem is that WebMerge is faithfully doing what you tell it to -- it should never alter anything outside of its own tags, preserving your template as much as possible.

In your case you have a return character in the template in between two WM tags, and in an index page anything between the WM-Record tags will be replicated once for each record.

I'm reluctant to change WebMerge in any way that breaks the program's cardinal rule of preserving a template's integrity. It's too easy to start down a slippery slope of monkeying with templates in ways the user never intended.

So while I agree it would make long tags easier to read if placed on a single line, it's only one line in your template and WebMerge's current merging method allows you confidence that you're always in control of how a template will behave.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread