I'd like to be able to cross link related categories, and related products. The related category links would need to go on index pages and related product links would need to show up on detail pages.

Is there a way to pull this off with WM? Seems like there should be, but I can't get it.

Thanks!

In order to crosslink detail pages you will need to define extra fields in your datafeed:

PRODUCT xlink1 xLink2 xLink3

Then on your detail template you can insert the links at WM tags [WM-FIELD xlink1].

There are some Excel shortcuts that you might use in creating those additional fields. The structure of your datafeed and the number of records would determine how useful they would be.

If you were looking for an easier way to do this, you may check out the frustrated postings by "Notepad" a couple of days ago "Need Help Creating a 3-tiered Website".

ABW Ambassador
    Using Excel seems to be the way to do this. I have been working on this over the last few days.
    It can be very confusing, but is possible

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Julian:
    Using Excel seems to be the way to do this. I have been working on this over the last few days.
    It can be very confusing, but is possible <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd be interested in learning the steps you're doing in Excel so I can help automate those with the new table viewer I'm working on.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

I haven't tried this yet, but was looking at the WM tags more last night. Couldn't you make index files and them using the WM include tag to include that index file into a detail page?

For example, the Blue Index File includes links to all Blue products, right? So, within the template for the Blue Products detail pages use the WM Include tag to include the Blue Index File, which ultimately links all related Blue products.

Again, I haven't tried it yet, but it seems like it should work. Only small issue I see is that you may need to create seperate index files just for this purpose since they probably will be formatted differently than you'd want them to be for your main index pages.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pw:
    I'd like to be able to cross link related categories, and related products. The related category links would need to go on index pages and related product links would need to show up on detail pages. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I'd also like to know if this feature exists. Does anybody have any help or tips on how to link to related products using webmerge.

ABW Ambassador
    A third party program that would allow you to search an external database by keyword and then display all "related" items within the pages generated by WebMerge via SSI would be the cleanest solution. Otherwise a lot of tinkering within Excel as suggested earlier might achieve similar results...

It's a really good question though!

&gt;&gt;&gt; I'd also like to know if this feature exists. Does anybody have any help or tips on how to link to related products using webmerge.

Give something like this a try =&gt;
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>[WM-If: Field: NAME_OF_FIELD_TO_CHECK contains NAME_OF_RELATED_ITEM(S)]
    [WM-Record]
    Stuff for each record goes here
    [/WM-Record]
    [/WM-If] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AWaRâ„¢'s suggestion may work. Another way to do it, would be to use PHP/mysql to pull the info from the database when the user loads the page.

Next generation WebMerge page &lt;&lt; HINT

Fred

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buy_online:
    AWaRâ„¢'s suggestion may work. Another way to do it, would be to use PHP/mysql to pull the info from the database when the user loads the page.

Next generation WebMerge page _&lt;&lt; HINT_ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Current generation perhaps?

Remember that WebMerge has a WM-Include tag, which will insert any text or HTML file from disk. So you could have a settings file run before your main one which generates your See Also links, and the main settings file pulls them into your page.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread