Suppose one day you’ll stop with Webmerge, for whatever reason. What guarantee do we have for continuing to use Webmerge. Online registration is required and if this isn’t possible anymore, Webmerge will be useless after a reinstall (computer crash, new pc).

Because we purchased Webmerge, we should be able to use it forever. I think with a next update, local registration (like most software) should be possible.

I agree!

the reason most software developers require online registration is so they can keep track of who is using their software... they view it as an anti-fraud measure...

the problem is as you mention... if the developer goes out of business the consumer is out of luck...

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by my2cents:
    the reason most software developers require online registration is so they can keep track of who is using their software... they view it as an anti-fraud measure... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While most software companies have similar automatic registration systems for security, in our case it also simplifies registration for the user and provides additional security for legitimate sales. Last year our system flagged a couple of posts using the same reg code and were able to contact the cardholder's bank to let them know about the identity theft. We take the security of our customer's information very seriously.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>the problem is as you mention... if the developer goes out of business the consumer is out of luck... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not a problem here: We have agreements with three other companies to assume control of registration assets to allow unlimited use of the software in perpetuity for legitimate customers.

The first in line is my brother's firm, which specializes in networking installation and consulting and has an even better server farm than mine.

In the event that something happens to both of us we have other companies in place to pick up where we leave off.

But even those are just temporary measures: in the event that we're unable to continue servicing the software we've made preparations for the release of a version that will no longer require online registration.

Remember, I'm not just a software developer, I'm also a customer. I buy a LOT of software each year, and I have the same concerns as you. My aim here is to make sure that all aspects of the experience of buying software from Fourth World is as good or better than you'll find with any of the major companies.

If I ever fall short of that, please drop me a note and give me a call and I'll happily listen to your feedback and do my best to meet any reasonable request.

My direct toll-free number is 800-288-5825.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread