This is my first post and I'd like to say thanks for the great resource. (WebMerge and the community).

I have only been using WebMerge for a couple of weeks and I probably put 12-15 hours on it this past weekend. I'm decent with html, but not great and I use dreamweaver. My datafeed has been exported tab delimited from Excel.

The site I'm attempting to build is basicaly a four tier site. I noticed that some of the tier three index page links point to the incorrect detail page and often three or four different links will point to the same detail page.

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I couldn't find it in the existing posts.

Thanks in advance!

Check for duplicates in your Subcategory field that you are using to create the index files.

For example, let's say your datafeed includes the following Cat and SubCat fields

Category Subcategory
    WomensCoats Accessories
    MensCoats Accessories

In generating a four-tiered site WM would create the index files WomensCoats.html and Accessories.html. Then when WM gets to the MensCoats section of the datafeed it it will create MensCoats.html and another Accessories.html that overwrites the first one (and creates the linking problems that you are seeing).

The solution is to use a Cocantenate function in Excel to combine the two fields so that there are no duplicates in the SubCat field, such as...

Category Subcategory
    WomensCoats WomensCoats-Accessories
    MensCoats MensCoats-Accessories

Ok, I'll check that. I already have a field that's concatenated, but I may have pointed WM to the subcat field instead of the concatenated field.

Thanks Frank, your new four tier nested tutorial got me to this point relatively quickly.

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread