ABW Ambassador
    I am almost too embarrassed to say what I am about to say, but I need some advice and/or suggestions here ...Please read and help if you can , I know this is a lenghty post ahead , but I need some help here , please , please .....bear with me on this .

I have not seen 1 single dime in 2 1/2 days now from CJ - This can not be happening .

Before this strange phenomenon occured, I had just added some links which in all reality, should have almost instantly increased my leads income .
    ( I am still making about the same at the other networks , traffic patterns have not changed much from the norm, this problem only relates to CJ)

Anyway, I know my links are not being tracked and it is not just for one or two advertisers, it seems EVERYTHING is way off !

I called CJ on Friday because I was concerned about some links not even tracking impressions let alone leads in any of my reports.

(At the time of my call I had about 5 or 6 transactions , and was honestly and realistically expecting a good day with the new links I put up the night before ).

I got Drew at CJ when I called, and just as I was beginning to question why impressions were not even showing up in my reports , I went to login to CJ and at that exact moment, the CJ site must have went down ,as Drew was not even aware of it yet. He was typing in my user ID somewhere at CJ to try and pull up my account.

He tried to finish off our conversation, even though there was the sound of office chaos and phones ringing in the background . Drew went to my site, and said basically,
    "I don't know what to say, cookies are dropping, so the tracking is on ."

He tells me that the impressions and any leads or sales will definately show up later or tommorrow , it is just delayed and he will call me back when the site goes back up and he can access my account to check it out further.

Yeah okay... It's been 2 and a half days now, and the last transaction recorded other than some very weird "impressions" and "clicks" recording, was at the exact same moment that their site went down !!

Drew finally calls me back Sat morning , and assures me that the tracking is working fine .

Uh Huh....Yeah Okay ...

WTF ???
    Can this be caused by some sort of weird server or technical error because I was logging in ,and/or Drew was entering my affiliate ID at the exact second they went down or what ??

What makes things more confusing for me is that a few days before THAT, my sites went down because the server they were on totally died, and my webhost uploaded back-up files from waaaaaay back on Sept. 4th onto the new server without telling me, and it stayed that way for two days because I was out gallavanting the stores and visiting Santa Claus .

Grrrrr.....

Anyway, it seems my sites have been spidered and indexed with the Sept. 4th version .
    Which is great, just F'ken Great .
    The old pages are gone now, as I had to overwrite everything as soon as I found out,
    BUT .......

Even with the old pages probably being cached ,this should not have this sort of impact on my earnings - NO WAY , SOMETHING IS WAY OUT OF WACK .

I really need to call CJ again on Monday, but I don't even know what the heck to say , this is soooo weird , and I don't want to sound like a crazy person , but I am going crazy here , this is soooo frustrating , and the last time I made ZERO for the day at CJ was when the site was new , and I had ZERO for traffic !

Help me with some calming advice please before I jump off the CJ bridge
    :eek:

Lisa

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: Lisa ]

Lisa,

First off ... your host should have been able to restore files from "yesterday" if they can't dump them!

Secondly, This is the real scary part ... CJ, as of late has been dumping raw data (lost sometimes [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ) from their servers and that is why we see the weird stats every now and then ... I think and this an "educated" guess! ... they have been attacked like hell! They never will admit it or other things (public relations reasons) but I have trust in David Elam et al in Tech support to recovery what they can.

For the most part ... when they [CJ] gets whacked "we" all see improved and "unadulterated" stats so we have something to really judge our performance on. *hint*

What I would say to CJ is ...

1. What is going on ... and don't give me applesauce!
    2. Who is making $ .... prove it to me cuz I see nothing
    3. Prove to me that my site is tracking

You get the idea

Haiko
    PS. I have not had a single transaction in over 6 weeks :eek: ... things that make you go hmm!

ABW Ambassador
    Lisa, so sorry for your troubles.

Do you have access to your log files so you can verify the traffic at your site? That will give you more info to feed the support people at CJ.

Additionally, as Haiko mentioned, DUMP YOUR SERVICE PROVIDER. There's absolutely no excuse for restoring three month old files -- NONE.

Clear off the crap before you call them.

1) Get a trusted third party [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] to sign up for something. Get them to note the time, if possible, even down to the second. Preferably between the hours of 5:30 EST and 7:30 EST. This is a 'dead' Internet period. Plus this is about just after the time they are finished with the nightly updating which 'typically' is done between 12:00 PST and 2:30 PST.

2) Double check your account number in your html. No, do this three times. Make sure you didn't transpose any numbers.

quote:
    Can this be caused by some sort of weird server or technical error because I was logging in ,and/or Drew was entering my affiliate ID at the exact second they went down or what ??

Human seconds are vastly different from computer seconds, don't forget, so this is maybe a longshot. You would have to actually look to see if the software was performing some kind of update to your account at the time of the network failure. Most 'look-up' calls to a file don't include a 'make the file writeable' parameter, but that depends on who codes the software. But you can't exclude it, definitely a longshot, as I said, but I've seen some really weird shit in 28 years in the IT field.

I've seen something similar like this happen on one of our sites. It's not a high volume producer, and we keep it around because it has a Page Rank of 7. We have a 'couple' of CJ links on it. We can go days without getting a lead, clicks and impressions are recorded. All of a sudden, one day gets us seven/eight/nine leads, then nothing for a couple of days. That's weird.

If you need someone to sign up for something, email: codejockey@hotmail.com

CodeJockey.

ABW Ambassador
    Hmmm... I guess I am just going to have to raise hell and see if they listen .

Haiko, my webhost is my cousin, and he had my sites on the crappy old server. He did warn me that it was about to crap out real soon , and I better have some backup , he did also mention that he was going to move my sites and the few others on it to one of his new RAID servers as soon as he got a chance .

The butt head has been so busy building his new business ( a local ISP service in PA ) , that he let a lot of other things slide lately.

No notification that my sites were back to Sept. 11th, really pissed me off, but since I wasn't in his customer database, (on his mailing list), I was not notified - he forgot about me !!!

BELIEVE ME , if he wasn't hosting me for free, I would have switched to another hosting company and for a while there , I was thinking about doing it anyway , until he explained how great the server is that I am on now, and I got to see the built in stats, my nice new control panel , etc.

Unreal.... One week your ranked #1 for free stuff on AOL, and getting paid good money to give away horse crap from fineclicks and Onresponse , and the next week you are sitting around with your thumb up your *!*
    wondering what the heck went wrong ???

Good thing hubby has a job, and this is like a little hobby for me [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Lisa

ABW Ambassador
    Wow - I just typed Sept 11th in that last post entirely by accident the second time s/b 4th - talk about the effects of 9/11 on the brain !

Code Jockey - Thank you so much , I will get someone to sign up for a lead and sit and watch myself , recording every detail I can for CJ .
    One question for you : Could this have anything to do with the fact that a part of my site is now password protected and it wasn't before this happened ?

It is only the webstats page , just trying to figure this out, because CJ tracking has been bad, but never like this !

Also, with the new server, I was not able to connect to the server with my usual FTP program (CUTE FTP), so I had to get a new 32 bit FTP program (WS_FTP pro), then it worked .

Forgive me if I sound brain dead, but I do have two kids , and it's been a bad week [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Cedric - Good advice ! Dump that webhost !LOL - I would if I weren't able to get free hosting with unlimited sites , domains , bandwith , etc.

What can I say, I am too cheap [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Yes, I do have access to log files , just getting used to my new control panel and stats , it is all new to me with the new server .

Lisa

Lisa,

I remember that your host is your cousin's business .... but I have one word to say to you ...

CRONTAB!

Live it learn it and email code jockey! Very Good Member! I have the ABW crontab set to 30 min (for storage and performance).

quote:
    Good thing hubby has a job ...

Applesauce! If CJ "tracked" correctly you would never say this! Trust me!

FWIW, two personal ideologies:

1. I am not rich enough to buy cheap! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    2. This isn't a game ... don't allow to be "played"!

Haiko

ABW Ambassador
    Lisa,

You are not alone ... The moment the site went down ... My sales stopped also. I recorded no sales Thursday night thru Saturday night which is impossible. Then Sunday was back to normal.

Hundreds of click thrus to CJ Merchants each days with no sales yet Amazon - Befree - Performics continued to convert normally.

I was so pissed because I knew I had noone to call at CJ and those sales were lost forever.

The most we will get is that it must have been a coincidence and that sales WERE tracking.

I feel for you ... but take some solis in the fact that it DID happen to someone else and I'm not just paranoid.

I know my numbers to a science now and when something like this happens ... No amount of BS can tell me different. I wish they would say just once... We experienced some problems on our end and we appologize..

Oh well ... Such is the game [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Regards,
    Dave

ABW Ambassador
    What do you know ...The tracking seems to have magically come back on this morning, and so far so good - KNOCK ON WOOD !

It's so pathetic that CJ has these constant problems since they changed over to their "new and improved" business model :rolleyes:

Lisa

quote:
    The moment the site went down ... My sales stopped also. I recorded no sales Thursday night thru Saturday night which is impossible. Then Sunday was back to normal.

Well, I'll have to admit that our sales 'dropped', but based on past performance patterns, it 'looked' normal, yet our sales never stopped completely.

The really wonky part of this, and it's sort of connected to Lisa's comment about "magically come back on this morning", is that we've had nine sales in the past two hours... that's never happened before in this time zone, and never on Mondays.

Drives me nuts when they decide to buy outside of the pattern.

CodeJockey.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread