Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I though that since I conquest the free version I was ready to upload my first few thousands pages to my site, but I discover that...

It is not the same to experiment with 20 pages on your hard drive to experiment with over one thousand pages.......

After I was happy by the way my first 20 pages for the irvs luggage look of line, I just load the entire irvs datafeed to webmerge on my HD,

Now I'm back to square one because it don't work like in the first few pages, everything get screwed because the datafeed is not perfect and then the field names don't mach like in the beginning of the feed...

One note: after WM finish with that feed, I notice that it was about 20MB and alot's of files on that folder, the good part is that I was wondering how many $$$ I will make when I get all those thousands of pages on my site live, but the reality now is that I still have to play around with the template files and debug the datafeed........

But at the end, I'm glad that I pay for the full version since I discover that I can use WebMerge for other stuff as well.

Once I get my first datafeed from any merchant working fine online, I will post it here, now I have to go to datawork...

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Hint: The SKUs between Irv's and Ex. Ess. overlap! And both places are in the same feed!

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    Hint: The SKUs between Irv's and Ex. Ess. overlap! And both places are in the same feed!

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Leader.

The other thing you need to consider is how you're going to get those 20MB worth of pages up to your site

Fred

You might just be a Redneck if - Birds are attracted to your beard...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buy_online:
    The other thing you need to consider is how you're going to get those 20MB worth of pages up to your site

Fred

You might just be a Redneck if - _Birds are attracted to your beard..._ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was afraid about that before, but I tested with the 20 pages on frontpage and it works.

Before when I made some pages of line and try to view source on those pages, I was getting piss, tinking that I will have to reformat those pages.

But yesterday I import those 20 pages to my of line website on frontpage and than I discover that I don't have to mess with the code again.

Look at this, if I view source on any page created with WM on my EEbrowser, I will see a continues line fill with garbage, but if I first inported to frontpage, then all the pages will look nice and formated, the way it should be..

By the way this is suppose to be on the WM tips http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...2&m=9206025784

I gess!!!!!!!

I found the combined IRVS and EE datafeed (with overlapping SKUs) to be one of the more difficult ones to deal with. So, if you can master it you are well on your way, IMHO, to mastering WebMerge.

Regards,

FRANK
    Baertacks
    http://bemorecreative.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Baertracks:
    I found the combined IRVS and EE datafeed (with overlapping SKUs) to be one of the more difficult ones to deal with. So, if you can master it you are well on your way, IMHO, to mastering WebMerge.

Regards,

FRANK
    Baertacks
    http://bemorecreative.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you FRANK,

I will see tomorrow, now I have to go to sleep of my frustration...

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Baertracks:
    I found the combined IRVS and EE datafeed (with overlapping SKUs) to be one of the more difficult ones to deal with.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is there a pattern to the errors in the feed that I might be able to write a tool for?

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any site

"Is there a pattern to the errors in the feed that I might be able to write a tool for?"

Yes...

One of the steps I take when I get a new feed, is to do some cleanup on the fields that will be used to generate both the detail and index pages.

For example, all slashes "/" question marks "?" and odd-ball quotes need to be removed or replaced to name a few.

It would be nifty to have a pull-down menu that might be called "Replace Illegal Characters" where one could select the replacement character to be used in the filename. For example, a database of illegal characters (for url's and filenames) could be part of WM. In the pull-down menu, the user could select the replacement to be used - maybe a dash or underline placed in the filename instead of an illegal character like a slash? When building, if WM runs into an illgal character, it would replace it with a dash "-" (if that's what the user selected).

IMHO.

Fred

I have to either go back and reoptimize every single webmerge page by hand or just make them by hand directly from the data feed like I did before.

It is just as easy, probably easier and faster for me to do it my original way if I want the same kind of keyword enhanced pages I had before. These webmerge generated pages don't look like they have much to offer the search engines unless you use the Excel truncated, merchant provided, product descriptions that every site coming down the pike will have. Where's the advantage in that? Yes, you can generate thousands of pages. But, are they worth anything? Will they have a snowballs chance in Hades of being seen when 500 other people put up what amounts to the same page? Long and short, I have gone back to my old way for now.

Still open to persuasion but this is actually harder than my old way which I have down pretty pat and which produces keyword rich highly optimised pages.

You can't throw out everything you learned about building pages just because you can whop out thousands of pages at a time. It is the basics that get your pages listed.

When Webmerge can give me control over image tags and link tags and all the other elements that go into pages, I will try again.

Perhaps it can, now, If so, I don't see it. Maybe, I need to understand it better.

I might be able to use it to update pages once I have them bulit. I am not sure, yet. If so, that will be great.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

[This message was edited by SSanf on December 15, 2003 at 02:03 AM.]

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSanf:
    When Webmerge can give me control over image tags and link tags and all the other elements that go into pages, I will try again.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What are you doing with database content in HTML by hand that you can't do in a WebMerge HTML template?

Now that v2.3 is out it's a good time for feature requests for v2.4, but given how many different types of sites have been built with WebMerge there may well be a way to automate what you're doing now.

--
    Richard Gaskin

Before I get WM. I had about 300 pages done by hand this year.

After I play around for awhile with the free version of WebMerge, I like it so I pay for the full version in order to be able to have more pages done with datafeeds............

Then I find out that each of the 5 or 6 different datafeeds I try to work on, have their own bug, they most be debugged before use...

Yesterday I decided that that I was going to make the entire irvs luggage feed work, with out trashing my detail pages after about the first 30 or 40 pages made.

Using WordPad I proceed to make an autopsy of the feed and after about 3 hours of debugging it was ready for the test....

I exported the feed to WebMerge and in less than 2 minutes I had 1250 pages of luggage made, now it was the time to experiment with the sorting by name or category or sku or..... ah... to many choices available now.......

Now I selected this first:
    On the Detail Pages Tab --------
    under the Generated File Names --------
    I selected:
    Name Based On Contents of Field ---------- and I choose: { Name }

I get all my pages done fast, now I go to check how they look on the hard drive before they go live and I notice that they look too good, so I decide to take a break.

One hour later I come back ready to upload the pages and in one final check, I see that most of the file names of the html's look like manure.

Here is one example of how one link look's if you use: { Name } (on that feed for File Names)
    ----------------------------------
    Before becoming a link: Briggs & Riley Closeout 21" Expandable Upright Carry-On #U-21NX

After becoming a link: /Briggs---Riley-Closeout-21--Expandable-Upright-Carry-On--U-21NX.html
    ----------------------------------

So I use: Base Name {Record} Extension: { .html}

Serialized Names Starting With # { 1 }

--------------------
    Note: you don't have to use: Base Name {Record} ----------- you can type any name other than Record there.
    --------------------

This is how that detail page read now on my site:
    Title: Briggs & Riley Closeout 21" Expandable Upright Carry-On #U-21NX
    Url: site.com/luggage/suitcase-0230.html

Ok, now I have my 1250 brand new Irvs luggage pages live on my site since 9:00 Pm last night but, I have part two of this post for later....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> What are you doing with database content in HTML by hand that you can't do in a WebMerge HTML template? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be telling!

I will tell you privately if you really are interested to know.

But, it is very important to the way I get search engine rankings.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

Now that I learned how to use WebMerge, clean the datafile, upload over 1000 pages in a few hours to my site and getting ready to tackle another datafile, I learned this too:

-------------------
    "Limit Exceeded for Atomz Express Search
    Your site contains more than the 500 pages allowed for Express Search. Please contact Sales at xxx-xxx-xxxx or send a message to xxxxxxxxxx, and we will be happy to discuss serving your searches."
    -------------------
    "How much does Atomz Search cost?
    Pricing for Atomz products is based on the specific needs of your Web site."
    -------------------

I better sell some Luggage fast now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jan72:
    "Limit Exceeded for Atomz Express Search
    Your site contains more than the 500 pages allowed for Express Search. Please contact Sales at xxx-xxx-xxxx or send a message to xxxxxxxxxx, and we will be happy to discuss serving your searches."
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Have you tried Google Free Search?
    http://www.google.com/searchcode.html#both

Google search is usually almost useless, becasue they may or may not come and index your entire site. They may or may not come around and index your site in the next three months. They may or may not include all of your pages in their listings.

You can pay a service to come and index your site or you can run your own search engine on your site (that's free).

Lastly, you still have one free option available to you. Picosearch.com will allow indexing of up to 1500 pages. But what will you do when you exceed that?

Fred

freefind.com has a pretty good free search program for your site. The only drawback is, that they put some advertisements on top of listing when someone does a search.

One I just installed on my site is a cgi based search engine by Fluid Dynamics that's free. So far, I really like what I see with it, especially how you can customize it to fit your needs. I really like how you can set it up to display ads when certain terms are searched for. I would even considered adding Google Adsense to it, if I could get the Google links to open in new windows.
    http://www.xav.com/scripts/search

-----------------------------
    Scott

"Can't we all just get along? Only when we've been drinking."

Another avenue to check into for search is the possibility that your hosting service (server?) has some type of pre-installed script or solution already set up for you.

cpanel for example comes with entropy search that is easy to set up and use.

You also have the Fluid Dynamics Search Enginge, if you want to install a CGI-version.
    It comes with auto-install from their website, so almost anyone can install it.
    http://www.xav.com/scripts/search/

Works great in freeware mode, but is only $40 for more features in the full version.

It has a spider, so you control how deep and how much to index. And let me just say that it CAN spider merchant sites not only your own. And you CAN automatically transform the links to the pages you spidered over to affiliate links.

Jan, sometimes you have to invest in the right tools to make money. From the examples you highlighted below I can tell you that you must invest in a program such as MS Excel to import your datafeeds into and massage them a bit. I too had a problem with some of the feeds. After a bunch of trial and error if found that there were some characters in the feeds that did make directories with some strange page names under them. For instance, if you use a feed with a / in it for a page name it will make a directory named for whatever preceeds the slash and then name the page something after the slash. Webmerge does this with a couple other characters that escapes me at the moment. If you import the feed into Excel you can simply copy the column you wish to name the pages, in this instance Name, and insert copied cells into another column and rename it page-name. Then you can go thru it manually and replace all / with - . In the case of double or triple --- , from your example it's simple to replace all & with space & space with - and then you would get briggs-riley vice briggs---riley. Same goes with all characters that are not a simple number or alpha. Those would be like !, @, #, $, % etc. In the same example you could replace the " with no space and you would end up with -, and the # with no space and end up with on-u-21. Also keep in mind WM will, by default, include an underscore in the file name for the spaces in the name of the column you choose to use as your file name. If by chance you wish to use dashes rather than underscores simply replace all space in your page-name column with a dash. In any event you should replace any space space with space to make sure you don't end up with -- or __. Do it a couple of times

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buy_online:

Fred

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used FrontPage 98 import feature:

The first time it took too long and just before the last page was up, I will get disconected and when I log in again, it will start from the first record again, after about five hours of trying to upload the entire directory I quit and then try to ftp ten pages with WS_FTP but when I went to see the pages they looked bad.

So what I dit was, I used FrontPage 98 import feature and started to upload only 100 files at the time until all the 1260 html's moved from my HD to my site.

Just for reference, every 100 files took about 10 minutes to get uploaded this way now, in less than two hours I had my first full database files online...

Now I will just wait for Google to find it and send me my first database made page customer...

Sal.

If your webhosting account permits Telnet or Shell access you can cut down your uploading time by zipping the filee before uploading them, and then unzipping them.

In my case, for example, I use PowerZip to zip an entire WM-created website that may include several thousand pages. This process creates a .tgz file, e.g., FILENAME.TGZ

I use WS-FTP to upload the zipped file to my website. Then, I use the PUTTY utility to access my account through an SSH connection. The unzipping commands require two steps:

First, to unzip the file use
    GUNZIP FILENAME.TGZ
    This will unzip the file and create one file call FILENAME.TAR.

Second, to expand the tar file use
    TAR XVF FILENAME.TAR.
    This expands the tar file to release the thousand WM created webpages.

Total time to creative, zip, upload, and unzip 4,000 webpages is less than 15 minutes (with a broadband connection).

Regards,

FRANK
    Baertracks

Outstanding Suggestion Frank. html files compress quite well.

Fred

Affiliate Manager
    Should I add Tar output as an option?

--
    Richard Gaskin

"Should I add Tar output as an option?"

Awesome, I would use it.

Fred

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast