I have been using the program for a week - and love it. It used to take me a week to do an annual merge operation using a tricky set of Word macros and another set of search and replace operations (using the excellent BK ReplacEm). This was a nightmare week. Now that WM is set up, it takes 92 seconds to regenerate the pages. Wonderful. Thank you.

My comments relate to the documentation which, as a number of contributors to this forum have remarked, is a bit thin (though it is very professionally written). I would like to see (1) a classification of this discussion forum into topics (2) a more introductory section in the Help files ('Webmerge for Dummies') - this could explain, for example, that the programme is based (I think) on unix and SQL, to that one has to be more careful about spaces than in HTML and one should do a bit of reading on SQL (eg know the meaning of <> and "") (3) more explanation of the advantges of using WM (eg the fact that static pages put less load on a server and offer greater search engine visibility than dynamic pages) (4) more ideas on the uses of a Webmerge approach to website design and management.

I think that if some of this information was put on the Webmerge website it would increase the application's popularity - and allow the developers to have even less sleep and give the users even more functionality!

Thank you

Primrose

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Primrose:
    I have been using the program for a week - and love it. It used to take me a week to do an annual merge operation using a tricky set of Word macros and another set of search and replace operations (using the excellent BK ReplacEm). This was a nightmare week. Now that WM is set up, it takes 92 seconds to regenerate the pages. Wonderful. Thank you.

My comments relate to the documentation which, as a number of contributors to this forum have remarked, is a bit thin (though it is very professionally written). I would like to see (1) a classification of this discussion forum into topics (2) a more introductory section in the Help files ('Webmerge for Dummies') - this could explain, for example, that the programme is based (I think) on unix and SQL, to that one has to be more careful about spaces than in HTML and one should do a bit of reading on SQL (eg know the meaning of &lt;&gt; and "") (3) more explanation of the advantges of using WM (eg the fact that static pages put less load on a server and offer greater search engine visibility than dynamic pages) (4) more ideas on the uses of a Webmerge approach to website design and management.

I think that if some of this information was put on the Webmerge website it would increase the application's popularity - and allow the developers to have even less sleep and give the users even more functionality!

Thank you <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, thank you. That is the best, most specific suggestions for improving WebMerge's learnability I've come across yet.

I will endeavor to act on those in the coming weeks. Thank you very much for taking the time to post that.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

3. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread