Ok I just downloaded a txt file from zzounds opened it up was a huge mess LOL.. so opened it in excel and it nicely was tabled..

I bought webmerge today, not sure what the next step is..

Now the hair pulling begins.. im so used to just building pages by hand..

Ok got theprogram, got the datafeed.. now do i go off first and great a INDEX template?

Like lets say I was going to have

on my index page categories down the side like

Electric Guitars
    Acoustic Guitars
    Bass Guitars

and when the person clicked on that it took them to a page where it would then list on the left hand side links of all the types of electric guitars and then when you clicked say on LES PAUl. it would take you to the next page and display all the LES PAUL Guitars/images/descripions.

Do i go make that first? in a template by hand or will webmerge do this, lay it out for me the way i want it?

Second.. I noticed the txt file is FULL of every instrument from zzounds.. at this time i dont wish to do that.. i just want to build a site around the Guitars

So do i have to go in manually by hand into the txt file ( excel) and figure out whats not a guitar in there and delete it? before i can use the txt file?

Im really confused... any help from any other ZZOUNDS affiliates who use WEBMERGE too would be appreciated.

thanks

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    You should start with the Webmerge Tutorial at http://www.creativenutsandbolts.com/webmerge/

Download his stuff, follow the directions, and run a simple data file.

Then modify templates given to run your own data. After awhile you will develop your own sets of templates that you can modify for new feeds and applications. This takes a bit of time - maybe even a week or two to get the hang of. Be willing to keep working at it though! Also go to http://www.fourthworld.com/products/...MergeHelp.html for help.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Hi,

With large datafeeds and excel I use the data filters so that I only see the categories I'm currently working on.

So you could set the filters to only display results in excel that contain the words 'Electric Guitar' for example. Then simply cut and paste the displayed results into a new tab formated excel file. And that's your first modified database. Now point Web Merge to the new database and you'll create web pages just on electric guitars.

The filter data option on excel is very useful with feeds containing a ton of products not identical.

Best of luck,
    Adverts

Frank's tutorial (in Cheesehead's post) works great! My tutorial is a little different, but you might want to try that as well (I've just revised at lot of it).

In any event, I would try to read at least one of our tutorials before going any further.

After you've done that it'll be easier to answer your questions here as well.

Good luck,

Fred

Off Topic

Just wanted to say Nice Job on the revised site Fred.

--Brian
    Oregon Publishing: Web Development, Graphic Design, Domains & Marketing
    Deluxe Banners Bartender's Guide Cooking Jobs

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread