This is just a message to let Publishers know that you really need to keep an eye on disappearing sales because just in the last weekend I've had to enter four manual transactions on CJ that had obviously lost their cookie somewhere along the way. Luckily our in house tracking system catches all of these and I just have to stay on top of the game and make sure all the Publishers get the credit they deserve. However as a note to publishers you might want to ask other Merchants how they deal with this if they aren't taking the time to check things personally? Just a word of caution.

Also, soon to come we will have our in house tracking system available for Publishers to sign on and track their sales on our system as well which will especially be nice for you to see what is performing well for you, etc. and to keep up with all sales that might get lost from CJ's tracking on some browsers.

Amanda Hayes

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Thanks Amanda for caring enough to not challenge an affiliate who obviously alerted you to missing transactions they knew took place. Merchnats should call this test purchasing and it should be mandintory in their job description. Every CJ/BF merchant has a house account to perform this task. Want an eye opener. use a machine infested with BHO parasites, or set your house cookie on a test link you made and then go visit some of your top 10 affiliate sites before making your purchase. Use their internal site navagation to your sections and then make the purchase. You will find cookie hijacking is taking place.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Thank you. Actually no Affiliate pointed anything out to me. I keep track of our sales daily and am always back tracking, that is why our system is so great because I am able to catch the ones that slip through CJ cracks. Thanks for the support though.

Who knows how many Merchants do have a similar tracking system and don't credit the affiliates unless they send the AM an email.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by Amanda Hayes:
    This is just a message to let Publishers know that you really need to keep an eye on disappearing sales because just in the last weekend I've had to enter four manual transactions on CJ that had obviously lost their cookie somewhere along the way.
    Amanda Hayes
    I knew it! i've been complaining this weekend about thousands of clicks with no sales. sales just mysteriously stop coming in after certain hours, everyday, until about sat-sun when there was almost no sale at all. oh well. the CJ machine is humming nicely now so i'm relieved. however, it's time to promote MyTights.com. Amanda, your site deserves to be at the top of my pages. keep up the good work.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Way to go Amanda!!

I don't get to use this phrase too often: I'm impressed!

Remind me to add "AM must "backtrack"" to my list of things required in a partnership!

Wouldn't mind seeing Todd give a guess as to why this could be happening. Lord knows it's not because it's slow or anything.

Amanda: What percent of transactions would you say are not being picked up by CJ?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Amanda, this is not news. Affiliates have known and been saying it for years but CJ keeps denying the problem exists. Thank you for the confirmation from a merchant.

The question is, HOW can we watch for this? If we knew that a lot of problems would disappear.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    I would venture to guess that cookie eaters and cookie blockers from numerous and growing apps that target affiliate cookies as spyware, is part of the problem. Then add to that all the users that are dumping cookies due to fear of being tracked and other privacy concerns. Cookie tracking is riddled with holes and the problem is growing as more public focus is put on adware and spyware. I'm glad the problem is getting publicity but I think in some cases it is backfiring on us.

http and a telephoto
    Linda has hit the nail on the head, I have posted a couple of times that from watching people surf, they are manually rejecting all cookies that their computer tries to set. If they need to set a cookie to complete a transaction they will allow it, but by then our affiliate cookie is gone.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Makes me wonder if some of this isn't the reason for my worse start of a month this year. Showing 2.00 for CJ today so far. Pretty pitiful.
    The Answer to the New York Tax Law - Repeal, REPEAL, REPEAL -

Camping Gear and Equipment

What I am seeing in this thread just confirms my suspicion that something is amiss somewhere!! I've been saying for months now that there is a tracking problem at CJ, but when you query anything you are always told "there is no problem". Question is, what can we as affiliates do about it when we have no proof that we are not being credited for sales? Before CJ's problems started a few months back, I used to do 1,000s of $$$ per month for some of my merchants but these days I'm lucky if I show 1 or 2 sales for them. It just doesn't make sense.

Although I've had the best couple of days at CJ.. lately.. I have to agree..

My site stats have shown a constant improvement with huge lacks in sales... until the last couple of days (which doesn't forgive the last few or several months).

The recent slowness of the CJ network could explain a lot of the lost sales though. People aren't going to wait around if they are on dial-up and sometimes not even on cable for the links o load.

It would be nice if Todd could come in and explain some of the recent CJ network slowness and how that might have affected our sales.. think that might happen?

I should make the statement that our in house tracking system also uses a cookie, so hopefully we are catching all the missing transactions as well but there is really no way to be 100% sure.

It would appear that what is happening is not 'cookie hijacking' but that the customer actually has some sort of ad blocking or internet security software installed as we do not normally recieve the referring page data on this 'rouge' orders.

Still an issue that would be good to get some insight from CJ on however.

Amanda Hayes

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by Grumpy:
    What I am seeing in this thread just confirms my suspicion that something is amiss somewhere!! I've been saying for months now that there is a tracking problem at CJ, but when you query anything you are always told "there is no problem". Question is, what can we as affiliates do about it when we have no proof that we are not being credited for sales? Before CJ's problems started a few months back, I used to do 1,000s of $$$ per month for some of my merchants but these days I'm lucky if I show 1 or 2 sales for them. It just doesn't make sense.
    no, no, no. there is no problem about tracking. there is a problem though about your sales being credited to somebody else.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The only way you'll see income flow back into your CJ merchant network promotion efforts is if they'd publish the top 50 affiliates each month. Call it the CJ monthly achievement award. The prize would be the winners get to feed one randomly selected family, for 30 days, from the loser pool.

Look at the positives in this proposal. We get to look into how they diligently work to achieve this status and put them up on a role model pedistal. Some poor unfortunates feel blesses and get to eat. The network gets great PR and the AM's know who to suck up too.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Amanda: What percent of transactions would you say are not being picked up by CJ?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

. . . cookies being blocked by our visitors . . . I'm seriously thinking of prefacing every page on my sites with "Please do not block cookies on this page; they identify ME to the merchants."

Michael,

We are still new with CJ, so I don't have many months under my belt to give detailed statistics, etc.

I have had very few over the past two months. Maybe one every two weeks or so, but this past weekend I had about four transactions that I entered manually on CJ.

Hope this helps.

Amanda Hayes

So you're talking about a very small percent? Is it 10%? 5%? 1%? Less?

It certainly sounds like Linda and Debbie hit the nail on the head. There are always going to be a handful of users who block cookies.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

quote:
    Originally posted by Mikey The Geek:
    Who knows how many Merchants do have a similar tracking system and don't credit the affiliates unless they send the AM an email.

Well yesterday I saw a manual adjustment on Linkshare from Overstock crediting me with a sale. Didn't know the story but today I see the sale with info on the product (jewelry). So thanks Overstock!

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread