Affiliate Manager
    Currently, when generating both index and detail pages WebMerge will make a field on an index page link to the corresponding detail page by default. You can turn this off by adding a nolink atribute to the WM-Field tag.

Based on user feedback, I'm inclined to reverse the default behavior, so that it will not link unless you add a "link" attribute.

I can provide backward compatibility by having a tool that converts your templates for you to the new syntax, so that's not the big question.

Far bigger is: Should I make this change? Do you think it will be simpler to have non-linking as the default behavior?
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Up until now, when you've added enhancements they haven't "broken" our existing templates. Which is great!

I think if you change the default operation, the tool that converts our templates should be completely automatic, and built into WM. And if it isn't automatic it should at least pop up a note and explain the situation and ask us what we want to do.

If it's a separate tool we have to download and remember to use, we'll forget it much of the time -- with predictable results and wasted time. In that case I'd say don't change the default operation.

Also, if it makes changes to our templates, that's fraught with problems. I just don't like the thought of that happening. When I was creating them I eyeballed every line, and now that certainty is lost unless I go over the code again.

And while I can see that if one were starting over from scratch the "default = don't link" way would be better, I don't think it's very significantly better one way or the other, so I'd vote for sticking with how it is now.

I know, I know -- the curse of keeping Backward Compatibility strikes again.

-- Mike
    A joy shared is a joy doubled.
    A burden shared is a burden lightened.

Affiliate Manager
    I'm rather obsessive about backward compatibility. By "tool" I'm envisioning that a template would be scanned for the older style tags, and if found you'd be presented with the option of having WebMerge update them or not. If you chose to update them it would automatically make a backup of the originals before proceeding (just as I've done with settings files when the format changed with v2.0).

The actual modification of the template isn't difficult; I suspect it should take only minimal beta testing to ensure that it works well. Like anything else WebMerge does, it's only concerened with what's inside of WebMerge tags, and I work hard to make sure nothing outside of a tag is ever touched.

Let's bat this around a bit here and see what folks think. The v2.4 feature set is pretty much done (a modest but useful upgrade, at the attractive upgrade price of free <g&gt, but I'd like to see about making this change with the other deeper changes coming in v2.5.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

ABW Ambassador
    As my Grandma' used to say - If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread