Are there other Web Merge tutorials worth reading besides the on located here?
    http://www.web-procreate.com/wm-about.htm

I'm looking for more help on building indexes for the web merge pages.

Thanks.

Frank has a great tutorial that is done a little different than mine, check it out:

http://www.creativenutsandbolts.com/webmerge/

Fred

Thanks.

I've got yours (great job, btw) and Frank's open in seperate tabs on Mozilla.

Hopefully, I can figure it out by bedtime.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    What we need is an easy way to do categories. I looked at the two tutorials and they were way too complicated for me lol

"What we need is an easy way to do categories. "

I have always been concerned with the complicated nature of my tutorial. I would love to find a way to make it less complicated, but I have to make assumptions on what folks already know about it, before trying to re-write it (or create something new). so...

What can anyone suggest, that would make it easier to understand? I am open to changing it. I did just complete re-writing the Index Template section to make it more complete a month ago, but now it may be more complicated too.

I have had two requests for a printable version as well. I am working toward that, is that something folks might like to see? What about a down loadable PDF version?

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Fred

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Fred,

Your Tutorial and Frank's Tutorial are the best around here. (I think i've said that before on other posts), anyway, there are many affiliates that are savy datafeed experts as well as creating database driven sites, but if you look at the success of "Books for Dummies" they are written for the beginner but at the same time very complete and even experts prefer reading "dummies books" sometimes as they get down to results.

I believe in the theory "Keep it simple".

From affiliates that have contacted me requesting more info on how to even get started putting up a site and creating hundreds of pages with a datafeed, I can tell you that the simpler the tutorial, the better to understand from a Newbie and from and expert to be able to show and explain to others.

Keep up the good work your doing with WebMerge.

BTW, where is your "link to us" link or banner so I can place on jrami.com

I'm a fan of the "Dummies" series (on any subject). They also make great gifts

I could take out a lot of the theory and the "...is done because" comments. I'll just have to weigh the level of understanding, in order to get to where I need to be. Perhaps a re-write might entail making things super-simple, with references or pop-ups giving folks more info on a subject, i.e. "To learn more, click here."

As far as the links - cool. Tell you what, I'll go and make some banners and links, and create a page for that purpose right now. You are certainly welcome to link to my site, and I will offer merchants (or managers like you) with data-feeds a reciprocal link (if they ask).

Fred

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Sounds great.

Looking forward to a "Data Feeds For Dummies" By Fred........

www.dummies.com call them to get your Book Title secured.

You can also offer e-learning one day. www.e-learning-for-dummies.com

< hey, when your book hits amazon.com, just make sure you send me the "First" autographed copy >

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    I'm a fan of the "Dummies" series (on any subject).
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fred,

Be very careful about that (on any subject. ) I think you don't want to get a book about Parasites for Dummies, I hope not!

Mr. Sal you are so right! I was actually thinking about the book my wife might want to buy for me

Thanks also Jrami!

I just finished the "Link to us" page. Now for the Dummy part

Fred

I would love a Dummies version

My problem was the tutorials I saw seemed like you had to run the feed more than once when you should be able to generate the whole page with just one one through

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    No Jack, if you want pages aranged by categories you have to use 2 steps. Unless you do not want an index page, the you could do it in one step

Wish it were so Jack.

As DFLSports says, gotta run at least two times. Future release, as I understand it.

Fred

Fred,

I would suggest, you have to see what kind of people go for web merge. I think obviously not the people with knowledge of programming/php and datafeeds. Usually the newbies who are just starting off their aff career and have no knowledege of programming and sometimes even very little know how of html. I feel you need to start of with very simple language and maybe then move on to the technical terms slowly. It could be like "Beginners Level" and then the "Advanced Level". So you can keep both parties interested in your tutorial.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

I'm close to getting my feed live, but not there yet.

Two things that would help me, and possibly others:
    *Add a WebMerge Tag glossary, so I know what each tag is trying to do.

*A single page with all the code broken out page by page for a three and four tier site.

Again, thanks for having the tutorial available. In its current form, it is very helpful.

Well I looked at the tutorial on Frank's site last night again and I think I finally got it.

However, I still can't figure how to just have categories show up on a page as nav without making a separate page just for the categories

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    Jack you lost me with that question?

Hi DFL:

Basically I want to just have the category nav appear on every page prolly as an include instead of on just an index page

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread