ABW Ambassador
    Hi all and Happy Thanksgiving,

OK, probably a dumb question with a simple answer, but it's not jumping out at me, so here goes.

I open my datafeed in Excel, clean it up and save it as a text delimited file. My price columns lose all trailing zeros (14.00 shows up as 14). I format the columns in Excel to show the 2 digit currency format, but you can't save the format to the text delimited file. Help!

TIA,

Ken

It's always worked for me, i.e., saving the currency format in a text-delimited savedd datafeed.

Happy Thanksgiving!

ABW Ambassador
    I know it seems silly, especially since I also have a column formatted in percentages and another with a date format (maybe they are just text though) and they keep fine once saved as a tab delimited text file.

I highlight the columns, choose Format, Cells, Currency, OK. It formats them fine. Then I click File, Save As, Text (tab delimited). I get a message saying there xxxxxxx.txt may contain features that are not compatible with Text(tab delimited). When I check help it says that no formatting is saved in text.

Doesn't make sense to me. I get that warning message every time I save a tab-delimited file and I simply click "yes" to "keep this format." The price field gets saved in the format $99.99.

Have you opened the saved text file to verify that the formatting is not saved? Perhaps its the version of Excel that you are using. I'm using Office 2003.

I'm using Excel 97 and it works fine here. The only think that gets screwy is when I format a date, save, and reopen the file. When I reopen it, the date goes to the 25-Nov format. I've just gotten used to changing it back each time I open a feed
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

Excell 2000 here, and no problem. However, I put the dollar sign "$" in the template, and avoid the problem all together.

Even if the feed looks like it has the zeros to the right of the decimal point, I always go ahead and format the entire column as number, with two places. It only takes a second.

Fred

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for all the answers. I've got it working now. Apparently the original data feed didn't have the currency formatted (2 digits after the decimal point).

When I opened in Excel, I had to change the two columns to text, then once open change the format to currency (no $, I also place it in the template), then save. This seems to have taken care of it.....I still got the error message, but it saved with the correct format anyway.

Thanks,

Ken

I use Office 2003 and do not have any problems with losing formatting. I save the files in .CSV (comma del) format.

Hope this helps.

I know this is an old thread by I for the life of me cannot save my tab delimited file with the correct currency format - anyone else solve this problem maybe with a bit more explanation?

I am using Excel 2003 - Sweet Iowa

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread