Hi,

I am new to webmerge so I may be doing someting wrong.
    I built first a 3-tier and now a 4 tier site using different datafeeds.

MainIndex, Index, Category, Detail.

The problem is that not all products display in the category pages (MainIndex, Index and Detail pages work okay). There is always at least on product, sometimes several, but never all products. It is the only page where I am using the [WM-RECORD] tag.

I contacted Richard first and he said I should use sorting in the Sources tab. After playing around with that I got the 3-tier site working, but I am not getting anywhere with the 4-tier site.

Can anyone please enlighten me on the sorting rules? Or maybe I am doing something else wrong?

I have already spent many hours trying to fix this, so any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Peete

Affiliate Manager
    I already replied to your email earlier today:

The sorting is pretty straightforward: records are always processed in the order they appear in the file, and sorting lets you order them so items can be grouped by a given field, such as a category or sub-category. This is useful when using the WM-IndexLabel tag, and when generating multiple index files named for a given field.

Just set the sorting for each tier's settings file to sort for the field you want to generate your index pages for and you should be fine.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

============
    QUOTE:
    After playing around with that I got the 3-tier site working, but I am not getting anywhere with the 4-tier site.
    ============

Did Richard's suggestion solve your problem? If not, then it might be a problem with the configuration of the three WM setting files that you need to create a four-tiered website. Make sure that the settings match across files. See my tutorial for an example at http://www.creativenutsandbolts.com/webmerge/

If you are still having problems and want someone to take a look at your WM settings files to check for errors, just send me a PM.

The solution!

Thanks Frank for your offer to help. I sent the files to Richard and he managed to clear my rather confused brain. I paste his detailed answer here, it may well enlighten some other people as well:

"... Let me walk you through what WebMerge is doing under the hood. Suppose your records have data that looks like this:

1 California Fresno
    2 California Los Angeles
    3 Arizona Phoenix
    4 Arizona Tucson
    5 California San Francisco

If you generate the pages without sorting, here's what WebMerge will do:

1. It creates an index page named "California", with an entry for "Fresno".

2. It appends the "California" index page with an entry for "Los Angeles".

3. "Arizona" is different from "California", so it closes the "California" page and creates a new index page named "Arizona", with an entry for "San Francisco".

4. It apppends the "Arizona" page with an entry for "Tucson".

5. This record is another change, so it closes the "Arizona" page and creates a new page named "California", with an entry for "San Francisco".

- But because there is another "California" page, that page is overwritten with the new one. Hence, a database that contains three records for "California" will appear to have only one, since the first two were overwritten.

Now, if you sort on the State field you get:

1 Arizona Phoenix
    2 Arizona Tucson
    3 California Fresno
    4 California Los Angeles
    5 California San Francisco

Here it's much simpler: It makes an index page for "Arizona" with an entry for "Phoenix", then it adds "Tucson", then it closes the "Arizona" page and creates one for "California", adding entries for the three California cities before closing it.

So the trick is to just set the sorting for each tier's settings file to sort for the field you want to generate your index pages for and you should be fine."

Thank you very much Richard for that detailed explanation.

Cheerio,

Peete

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread