My main problem with Webmerging is not with Webmerge, but in the cumbersome handling using Windows Explorer of the large number of WebPages/files that are so efficiently and quickly generated by WM.

I am very happy with Webmerge. I am also happy with programs like PowerZip, WS-FTP, and Putty that I use to zip the files, upload them, and unzip them quickly into my websites (using shell access). However, it’s that in between slow file management process using Windows Explorer that I find tedious.

For example, selecting 10,000 generated files and then using a right click to zip them throws Windows Explorer into a five minute hourglass spinning mode. Isn't there some way to tweak Windows to process the management of a large number of files more quickly? Or, possibly a Windows Explorer replacement program?

Your suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm not sure if it would work or not with thousands of files, but have you tried setting up a .bat file that you can run and it will zip all the files in that directory?

I tried it using Winzip and a couple of files and it copied everything, even the bat file. Something to think about.
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will take a look at that option.

Richmond, VA
    You might try running whatever version of DOS that is on the machine. I'm not talking about a DOS window either.

I never had any luck managing that many files on my Win98 machine - I finally gave up on it. I now write everything over onto an old PC that I installed Linux on - works like a charm and was cheap.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread