It's a small feed, 489 products. When I try to edit the descriptions I get formula too long.
    I tried copying and pasting it to word then copying and pasting back like I have a few times before, but it did not load so could not be pasted. Any suggestions?

Thanks-

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ms. Woodtick:
    It's a small feed, 489 products. When I try to edit the descriptions I get formula too long.
    I tried copying and pasting it to word then copying and pasting back like I have a few times before, but it did not load so could not be pasted. Any suggestions? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How did you get that error? I don't recall WebMerge having an error message about formulas.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

The error message is, I assume, within Excel?

I don't have a definitive answer for this one. I'd suggest selecting the column and changing the format to TEXT or GENERAL and see what happens.

Nope it wasn't webmerge, it was excel. I haven't gotten into doing it in webmerge yet. I'll try changing the format.
    Last time that happened it was because I didn't catch a few rows being out of alignment, but I know this one isn't.
    Thanks-

Frank, I didn't like what happened lol.
    For such a short feed,maybe I'll just edit each one by hand.

The search and replace function in excel will return the "Formula too long" if one goes beyond a certain number of characters. In other words, it will continue and make the changes you ask until it runs into (for example) a description in a record that has too much text for it too search through.

Excel will stop at the record in question (you can actually see the record causing trouble). What I normally do, is bypass the record causing problems. Then I re-run the search-and-replace. You may have to do this several times throughout the process. By re-starting the search and replace, your criteria will still be in the form, so you don't have to enter it again.

Access does not have the problem that excel has, you may want to try that.

Congrats to Ms. Woodtick for knowing that a successful strategy lies in fixing up one's datafeeds

IN the future Ms. Woodtick, you should let us know that you had a problem with Excel, so we won't have to guess it wasn't WebMerge's fault -

Fred

Thanks, Fred, that makes perfect sense!
    The more I work with feeds and webmerge, the more I learn to tweak what I don't like and I have developed some pretty good pages that way.
    Of course, there's those that are just too much trouble, but this one is important to me. Not too bad from a dummy who screamed the first time she opened up excel a few months ago.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> IN the future Ms. Woodtick, you should let us know that you had a problem with Excel, so we won't have to guess it wasn't WebMerge's fault <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

sorry, but so far it's NEVER been Webmerge's fault with me, it's always ME.

ABW Ambassador
    what I do when this happens is copy that column into another program that can handle the search and replace and then paste it back into excel with the corrections made...

Judy

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread