Hi Guys,

I am in the process of evaluating webmerge using the limited free download. I now have the following problem:
    I am using a datafeed that has already some html included. Webmerge now screws up the code by for example replacing "<" with "&It;" etc.

I have sent 2 emails within 3 days to support@fourthworld.com to find out how to fix this, but received no answer.

I am very reluctant to purchase a software from a company without support.

Any comments?

Cheerio,

Peete

Try adding a RAW attribute to your WM tag, e.g.
    (WM-Field: LONG_DESCRIPTION raw]

This wll tell WM to insert the code without tampering with the HTML codes.

BTW, have you found the WM tutorials? You may find them helpful in getting started.

FRED'S
    http://www.web-procreate.com/wm-what.htm

FRANK's
    http://www.creativenutsandbolts.com/webmerge/

I sent an e-mail last week and a PM yesterday, with no response. Is the guy out of town or is he just slammed with things to do.

My questions are non-support questions.

Maybe someone here can help. I purchased a license last year. I used WM a few times and haven't used it since. I tried to use it again last week but the program said it is an unregistered version. I looked up my e-mail (receipt) with the code on it, entered the code and WM won't accept it. Anyone else have this problem?
    Deleted

No, I haven't had that problem. I just downloaded a fresh copy of WM 2.3 yesterday and entered my code which I purchased in Sept 2003. It accepted the code just fine.

Are you sure that you have the upper/lower cases letters inputed correctly? Richard's email stated:

Note that all characters in WebMerge registration keys are lower-case.
    Be mindful of the difference between "l" ("L") and "1" (one").

If your registration code is not accepted, please make sure you have
    WebMerge 2.2 build 3 or later (see the About box). If you have an earlier
    version you'll want to download the latest build.

I still have not heard from fourthworld. I really can't see myself purchasing the software with this kind of non-support.

Does anyone know of a similar alternative??

Thanks,

Peete

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I purchased a license last year. I used WM a few times and haven't used it since. I tried to use it again last week but the program said it is an unregistered version. I looked up my e-mail (receipt) with the code on it, entered the code and WM won't accept it. Anyone else have this problem?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Possibilities:

1) At some point, Richard changed all the reg codes and sent out new ones. I think this happened with an upgrade... So your old code may not be valid anymore. My memory's kind of vague on this but I remember putting in a new code at some point.

2) The "L" and "1" look almost the same in the font used in the email--make sure you deciphered it correctly.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Have you tried this email address?:

ambassador AT fourthworld.com

Fred

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peete:
    Hi Guys,

I am in the process of evaluating webmerge using the limited free download. I now have the following problem:
    I am using a datafeed that has already some html included. Webmerge now screws up the code by for example replacing "&lt;" with "&It;" etc.

I have sent 2 emails within 3 days to support@fourthworld.com to find out how to fix this, but received no answer.

I am very reluctant to purchase a software from a company without support. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The two emails I recieved from you were about two different issues. If there were others please remember that 7% of all legitimate email never arrives at its intended destination due to system overload from spam (65% of all email traffic is spam).

For this reason I prominently post my toll-free telephone number of my contact page, something few software companies provide anymore. Feel free to call anytime if you don't see a timely response to your emails.

On 5 November you wrote regarding a template setting that was not sticking, and I replied the same day asking for more information, as it had not been reported before and I was unable to reproduce the issue from the information given. I have not yet had a reply from you on that.

On 21 November I got a second email with the issue you noted above. I was just returning from a conference in Malta, as I noted in this forum last week, and have been catching up on email since I got back. I replied to that email this morning, though the answer is available elsewhere here and by double-checking the documentation for the WM-Field tag -- here's the text of my reply:

------------------------------------------

&gt; Can this be turned off?

Yes, as described in the WebMerge Help file for the WM-Field tag:

----------------
    Using the raw attribute
    By default, WebMerge converts field data to HTML. The conversion changes all non-ASCII characters to their corresponding character entity according to the ISO 8859-1 standard. For example, the character "&lt;" becomes "&lt;". This attribute is useful if your database contains some fields whose data is already in HTML format, to prevent WebMerge from altering it for Web display. If your field already contains HTML, you can tell WebMerge not to perform this conversion by using the raw attribute.
    ----------------
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by steveinid:
    I sent an e-mail last week and a PM yesterday, with no response. Is the guy out of town or is he just slammed with things to do. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I noted here last week, I was presenting at a programming conferenc in Malta last week, so I'm a bit behind in my emails.

But oddly enough I couldn't find an email from you in my In Box, and this system did not notify me that I had a private message waiting. I've replied to your private message this morning.

In the future please consider using the toll-free number posted on my Contact page if you don't see a response by email within 48 hours.
    Richard Gaskin

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peete:
    I still have not heard from fourthworld....
    Does anyone know of a similar alternative?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes: Using the toll-free number posted on my Contact page.

Fourth World is among the very few companies that still offers a toll-free line to contact us (a growing number of companies don't provide any phone number at all). We take support very seriously, and encourage you to use that number if for some reason your email does not meet with a reply within 48 hours (that's our goal, putting us about two weeks ahead of the response times for some of the world's biggest software companies).

For a broader perspective of how seriously we take support, consider these customer comments from our Gallery page:

"Thank you Richard for a superb tool. And thank you for the first rate support that you and your contributing experts provide."

"On the one occassion I used technical support I had an in-depth reply within a few hours from someone who really new what they were talking about. Congratulations! - Hopefully one day all software will be written like this."

"The tech support and upgrade policy surpasses products we had paid far more money for."

"Thanks again for a great product, and great support!"

"...the author's quality of customer service deserves five stars alone."

"Great product, great support.... Works as advertised and when I had suggestions and comments received prompt support responses."

Please feel free to call me anytime you need quick assistance so we can provide you with the same quality of support experience we strive to deliver to all of our customers.
    Richard Gaskin

Hi Richard,

I do appreciate a toll free number, but of course I am on the other side of the world... First I have to work out where you are, what time it is at your place and of course for me the call is not toll free.
    So obviously I use e-mail.

Ever considered to switch on the autoresponder when you are away?

The first problem I fixed, looks like my mac was playing up. And I did send you an e-mail to that effect which obviously never arrived.

Another suggestion: Spam of course is a problem, so why not use a form for support?

The raw command did work and I am one step closer to producing something useful with webmerge...

Cheerio,

Peete

Affiliate Manager
    Ever considered to switch on the autoresponder when you are away? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've used one in the past, but in this case I had anticipated a better Internet connection in Malta than turned out to be available.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Another suggestion: Spam of course is a problem, so why not use a form for support? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is one: http://www.fourthworld.com/products/...mfeedback.html

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The raw command did work and I am one step closer to producing something useful with webmerge... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent. Keep me posted if I can be of further help.
    Richard Gaskin

ABW Ambassador
    When you take into consideration the helpfulness of the existing WebMerge user base and the sheer number of posts in this forum (one user helping another)...personally I'd call that a level of support that's not even matched by some of the largest software companies...

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stanley Holtsclaw:
    When you take into consideration the helpfulness of the existing WebMerge user base and the sheer number of posts in this forum (one user helping another)...personally I'd call that a level of support that's not even matched by some of the largest software companies... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes indeed! Hats off to all the smart, motivated people who log in here to offer their insight and experience.
    Richard Gaskin

For the benefit of Taswegians, Los Angeles time is 5 hours "ahead" of us SE coast Aussies at this time of the year, but it's usually the previous day. e.g. 9 am PST = 4 am AEDT; 6 pm PST = 1 pm AEDT. IOW, it is safe to call LA before 1 pm, Tuesday through Saturday.

As other replies have indicated, this board has most of the answers needed by a WebMerge user and the rest are in the docs or the two tutorials.
    [URL=http://www.netmagellan.com/]Net Magellan blog[/URL]

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread