Affiliate Manager
    In planning changes for v2.5 and v3.0, it would be helpful to get a better understanding of the file formats you folks use for data sources.

Currently WebMerge 2.4 and earlier include presets for:

Affiliate Feed - Pipe delimited
    AppleWorks DB: ASCII Text
    AppleWorks SS: ASCII Text
    FileMaker Pro: Merge
    FileMaker Pro: Comma-Separated Text
    FileMaker Pro: Tab-Separated Text
    MS Access: Text File - CSV
    MS Access: Text File - Tab
    MS Access: MS Word Merge
    MS Excel: CSV - Comma delimited
    MS Excel: Text - Tab delimited

If you use a format not on that list please drop me a note or reply here and I'll see if we can add it to the Presets list.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

I use OpenOffice, so for me OpenOffice spreadsheet format .sxc would be quite helpful.

Peete

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peete:
    I use OpenOffice, so for me OpenOffice spreadsheet format .sxc would be quite helpful. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It may be a while before WebMerge supports sxc directly. What export formats do you use with WebMerge?
    Richard Gaskin

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fourth World:
    It may be a while before WebMerge supports sxc directly. What export formats do you use with WebMerge? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am sort of going the long way around at the moment as I haven't found an easier way to do it as yet.
    I run webmerge under osx on my mac. But apple works truncates some long fields when I open a .csv file directly.
    So I work the datafeed over with openoffice on the pc which works really well. I then have to save it in .xls format in order to keep all formatting, open it with apple works spreadsheet and save it in ascii text format for use with webmerge.

I should mention that I don't have excel. I have also read in some posts that linux is suited very well to edit datafeeds, so I will probably try this in the near future.

Peete

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peete:
    I run webmerge under osx on my mac. But apple works truncates some long fields when I open a .csv file directly. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you tried exporting in AppleWorks' tab-delimited format?
    Richard Gaskin

As long as you keep supporting CSV, I'll keep buying you beer.

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sweat:
    As long as you keep supporting CSV, I'll keep buying you beer. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's winter -- make mine a Guiness.

CSV is far too universal to ever drop suppport for. But you can do me a favor: in v2.4 build 2 (to be posted in a day or so) I have a new CSV parser in place. It's much faster than the older one from v2.3, but I've only tested it against a half-dozen files. Please give it a good workout if you can --- if it doesn't handle your CSV well I can always go back to the older parser, but if it does you'll notice the "Setting Up" phase of processing to be about four times faster.
    Richard Gaskin

Watching the changes with interest. As a noob, going to give the trial a whirl and by the time I'm ready to lay down the $, all the new changes should be settled.

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dollardaze:
    Watching the changes with interest. As a noob, going to give the trial a whirl and by the time I'm ready to lay down the $, all the new changes should be settled. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fortunately there are no functional changes per se in v2.4, only new features. So if you find you could benefit from the v2.3 features folks are enjoying today, you can go ahead and start working with v2.3 and the final release of v2.4 will continue to work with all of your settings and templates without modification.

My original goal was to release v2.4 this week, but I'd rather make sure it's rock-solid than rush it, so it's looking more like early January now. I'll have another test version this week, and one more next week, so we can get everything ironed out for you in time for its official release so you can smoothly move from v2.3 to v2.4 and never notice the difference -- except that v2.4 will be even faster.
    Richard Gaskin

A seamless move from 2.3 to 2.4 works for me. In that case, I'll download and get busy playing with the trial in about a week to see if this is a workable solution for me. Everything I've read on WM makes me think it will be.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread