I am new to webmerge.
    I have been studying all the tutorials I can find but can not find out how to create buy now code in webmerge.
    I use a 3rd party shopping cart called Mals ecommerce. You join, you get an account id#, you create an buy now button and for each product page you create unique code.
    The code is pretty basic but sloppy so it may appear confusing.
    I need to figure out how to generate this code for detail/product pages so that each product has the following unique url.
    Each unique purchasing url has a description, userid, price, and return url included to get back from the carts site, a return to shopping link actually.
    I need to know what I do where as in,
    what part do in preparing the data feed prior to running webmerge, and once I do run webmerge, what procedure I must follow.
    The Code is below that I currently use in my buy now links minus the image source for the buy now button etc.

Thanks

<area href="http://ww7.aitsafe.com/cf/add.cfm?userid=123456789&product=ABC123-2004-fictitious-product-description&price=50.00&return=www.merchants.com" shape="rect" coords="0, 5, 95, 31"></map><!--webbot
    bot="ImageMap" startspan
    text=" (0,5) (95, 31) {Add To Cart} {Arial} 10 B #000000 CT 0 http://ww7.aitsafe.com/cf/add.cfm?us....merchants.com"<!--webbot

Just taking a shot here.

If all the code is the same except the URL, then you should put the code that doesn't change in the template. You will need to have the URL's for each product actually in the database, and in each record in the database in order for WM to write it to each individual detail page. You then have to put a WM-tag in the template too (where the URL needs to go).

If the URL info is not already part of the database (datafeed file), that's a little tougher. You'll have to find a way to either paste the info in there, or use some sort of script to write it is not the database.

Frank can chime in here too, he usually has some great ideas.

Fred

The shopping cart I am using requires a unique buy now url for each product the way I am currently using it.

Basically, the buy now url for each detail/product page needs to contain some constants and some uniques as follows:

In each buy now url you have the same constants of:
    "userid", that is really the merchants id and references the merchants account
    "return" can return to a constant of the home page or any url, but if you want it to return to the product page, then it must have that unique url.

Unique is:
    The description usually with item# known as the "productpr"
    This will show you what you have orderd on the shopping carts site( as is most of the other specific info.) and later is included in the description that is emailed as the confirmation receipt to the buyer, and in the order notification the merchant receives.

The Price,
    Options, such as colors, sizes, etc.

Currently I am using the code below for a drop down options & buy now link.

<form method="POST" action="http://ww8.aitsafe.com/cf/add.cfm">
    <p align="center"><input type="hidden" name="return" value="www.merchants.com">
    <input type="hidden" name="userid" value="A862096"> <select size="1" name="productpr">
    <option value="Double Zipper Tie Dress Small Sku#958202 :39.99:39.99">Double Zipper Tie Dress Small 39.99
    <option value="Double Zipper Tie Dress Medium Sku#958202 :39.99:39.99">Double Zipper Tie Dress Medium 39.99
    <option value="Double Zipper Tie Dress Large Sku#958202 :39.99:39.99">Double Zipper Tie Dress Large 39.99
    <option value="Double Zipper Tie Dress Extra Large Sku#958202 :39.99:39.99">Double Zipper Tie Dress Extra Large 39.99
    </select> <input type="submit" value="Buy now!"></p>
    </form>

My data feed is from a Point of sale software program that has many option fields when entering a product, I can also edit via Excel, and finally edit as Webmerge allows.
    I just need to figure out the best approach to get the unique buy now url into each product page.
    I appreciate the help,

Frank

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Are trying to spoof the merchant's site using their raw feeds to show your site visitors a viable "but it Now" button? Normally the "resume shopping" feature automatically takes the shopper from the cart checkout back to the last viewed page. (see www.suspenders.com for an example of a static buy button cart program with this feature). No need for programming in a "continue shopping URL" unless you want to take them back to a general product category page.

If your just setting up a Phishing site to scrape off CC#'s then be sure to get the real merchants permission.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I thinks you better READ the terms of services for the affilate companys and merchants. There are lots of words like SITES THAT UTILIZE A SHOPPING CART and other nonsensical meaningless words in the "TOS".

You had better beware about spoofing.... Even if your not collecting credit cards. Why not contact CJ, Linkshare etc and talk to them about your plan of attack and see if your maybe heading down that road to the US Justice System.

Oh Poop!

Poopie
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

I am guessing by replies I am not explaining the situation very well.
    Among many other things, I am a dealer for a point of sale software company. I also work with the owners and designers of the software in several areas.
    I am collaborating with them to come up with an ecommece solution that we can offer as an added service for the customers who buy the POS software. Independent of, no legal recoarse, etc.
    1 in 4 of the pos software customers want ecommerce sites and want a ecommerce solution and that is what we are looking to create for them.
    The POS software has many fields available in the item record when entering an item currently and the designers can assist me by creating fields for entering the original data that will later help developing better feeds.
    The pos software can easily export item records and provides most if not all the fields I need as an exporting option.
    The exported data is in csv or text/tab delimited and smoothly goes into Excel where I can then edit data to feed into Webmerge.

Once we are retained to create an ecommerce site for the pos customer, I would recieve their exported item record, modify it in Excel as needed to work properly with Webmerge.
    The other party is the shopping cart system vendor, Mal's e-commerce.
    Mal's is a service that has a secure database that collects your orders, you can then setup the orders to be fed to a third party payment processor or several options exist for the merchant to download the orders.
    Mal's has no problem with their service being used in this manner as long as I am crediting them for their part and not violating their rights and my terms of use.
    As I stated, the way this stand alone cart works is that as a customer of the service, you receive a userid#.
    You create a buy now button using that id#, a unique description, unique price, the cart has the generaic return to site link, but you can add a unique return link as well to return to any page you specify.
    That is the part I am trying to figure out how to create, the detail page unique buy now url.

Now that I clarified that part, I am wondering what two previous posts are referring to regarding legalities.
    If you are referring to the products offered by the merchant and that the merchant must have certain permissions to resell in this manner then please clarify that.
    If you are referring to me using Webmerge in this manner and that by doing so violates the terms of use,then please, clarify that.

Other than that, I have no idea of what is being reffered to with the mention of legalities but after reading the above description for the intended development scenario and if after doing so, any of you see an area that needs to have legalities addressed, I would be grateful if you could clarify as much as possible, maybe provide some legal links to the topic as it relates to the intended development procedure.
    I do need to be aware of such things and do appreciate the input but need to verify what is being stated as much as possible.
    I would prefer "the Justice Department" spend their time on other things.

I thank you for your time and concern and do greatly appreciate any verfiable information.
    Sincerely
    OF Johnston

I thank you for your time

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Just host with a company that offers www.Miva.com cart/catalog and then you import your feed after setting up the categories. Modify via HTML any and all pages. Infinate markup from cost or markdown from retail. Serve both small or large dealers with different discounts while displaying full retail for non-registered and authorized accounts. E-mail notices go you and drop shipper upon sale. Interface to all payment gateways and all affiliate networks inside 1 minute.

Me. I prefer to let them get Retail Ice (free for 1 user) which can handle Walmart or the local sporting goods store. Then charge them to upgrade and buy initial or follow on POS equipment. POS software is a land mine as it was proprietary for 40 years. A real license to rape the clients on upgrades and equipment -S/W changes. Retailers are a clueless lot. Your inventory SKU's can't total more then 60 items for POS scanners, S/W packages, receipt printers, Pole displays and cash drawers including supplies. Set up one site complete and duplicate with appearance and branding changes.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I think I get what your saying and see the simplicity in it.
    I am new to database ecommerce sites and I will look into your suggested approach.
    The idea with Webmerge was to get away from dynamic websites.

The other thing is these clients are referred by the POS company and I am a dealer as well.
    I became a dealer after seeing all that this pos software can do over products like Quickbooks POS, and Windows POS. They do handle up to 250 lines per sale by default and up to 999 with special settings and have so many options I actually like it and want to try to followup through with this.
    I think I am looking at having to add the unique buy now urls prior to importing into Webmerge and that means the data feed.
    Instead of doing it all by hand in Excel, I have the ear of the pos software developer and the existing pos item record entry fields have many available fields.
    I was thinking, maybe I can get them to add a field that the customer will check as an option to have a ecommerce site, that will bring up a field in the item entry record where the merchant can enter what is needed for the unique url with the templae handling the rest of the url creation.

Then it will be exported to Excel and with minimal editing, (hopefully at some point I will get there,)
    So if I can have the pos software designers create some type of, script?, in the field code so that when the merchant is adding a product to the pos software, they can add some info into a field that will generate the unique buy now url.

The pos software has an area to check if you want the item in your internet store.
    The item record already has fields for entering an image full size and thumbnail versions.

So I think I am on the right track and will now talk to the pos software desingers to see if I can get the unique url in this way and maybe a whole ecommerce template for ecommerce sites with fields built to create and export Webmerge prepared data.

Thanks
    OF Johnston

"So if I can have the pos software designers create some type of, script?, in the field code so that when the merchant is adding a product to the pos software, they can add some info into a field that will generate the unique buy now url."

Yes, that would be a great solution (assuming I understand what you are doing).

If you (or someone else) have the ability to manipulate the feed, that's where the variable for the URL needs to be. Once there is a field for that in each of the datafeed's records, then WebMerge can put it into each individual page, with the appropriate variables.

Let us (me) know how it works, or if you have other questions.

Fred

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread