just wondering if anyone has a favorite (preferably free) ftp program. I am currently evaluating Ipswitch WS_FTP Pro. It works great but I may be to cheap to pay for it. The key is that it doesn't disconnect when sending lots of data (>25M). or if it does disconnect, will restart where it left off on reconnect.

I found Core FTP its free. I'm to cheap to buy and ftp program. It does what I need.

Don't know/think it reconnects if there's an interuption in the transfer but it saves the session info and it start up where it left off. coreftp.com I think.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

I use WS-FTP Pro. I think that it is worth the investment.

Your note about uploading 25M of data and having to reconnect reminds me of one of my favorite strategies for zipping, uploading and unzipping data. It may be worth posting this information again. Here is what I wrote a year ago:

If your webhosting account permits Telnet or Shell access you can cut down your uploading time by zipping the filee before uploading them, and then unzipping them.

In my case, for example, I use PowerZip to zip an entire WM-created website that may include several thousand pages. This process creates a .tgz file, e.g., FILENAME.TGZ

I use WS-FTP to upload the zipped file to my website. Then, I use the PUTTY utility to access my account through an SSH connection. The unzipping commands require two steps:

First, to unzip the file use
    GUNZIP FILENAME.TGZ
    This will unzip the file and create one file call FILENAME.TAR.

Second, to expand the tar file use
    TAR XVF FILENAME.TAR.
    This expands the tar file to release the thousand WM created webpages.

Total time to create, zip, upload, and unzip 4,000 webpages is less than 15 minutes (with a broadband connection).

I use FlashFXP. Second choice would be BulletProof FTP. Each costs about $50.

Either program will automatically reconnect and resume a transfer if the connection is lost. For me being to start a long upload and go to bed for the night knowing it'll be done when I get up in the morning is worth paying for an FTP program.

-- Mike
    A joy shared is a joy doubled.
    A burden shared is a burden lightened.

I use cuteftp and it works fine for me. Like Frank I zip all the files and then ftp them to the server but as I dont have telnet access I ask my webhost to unzip the files for me on the server and they happily do it. Only thing is I have to keep in mind the working hours of the support staff. Otherwise it gets delayed a bit. But still its better than uploading the thousands of pages without zipping them.

BTW, has anyone done a comparison between CuteFTP and WS-FTP? Heard about WS-FTP a lot but I have always been using CuteFTP so dont know if WS-FTP is any better?
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

What Frank said.

Or ftp from a Linux machine at home.

Fred

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    I use Flash peak Blaze FTP
    has some other tools also
    http://www.flashpeak.com/

http and a telephoto
    I absolutely love WS_FTP Pro and couldn't live without it, it is worth every penny. However, a strong contender is Filezilla open source software available at http://sourceforge.net
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by loxly:
    However, a strong contender is Filezilla open source software available at http://sourceforge.net <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've actually been evaluating FileZilla at work as of late. Seems pretty solid. What downsides have you seen with it that would still make you want to pay for WS_FTP Pro?

Thanks!

Michael

http and a telephoto
    Actually the only downside I have seen is it is a little tough to get used to the interface. But once you are used to it, it certainly does look solid. I paid for my ws_ftp pro license years ago, but may not do the next update if Filezilla keeps on holding up it's end.

Interrupted file transfer was tough to figure out how to restart, but it was restartable and even seemed faster than ws_ftp pro
    Deborah Carney

Wanted to add my input ...

Over the past four years I've tried and bought three ... 3D-FTP, bulletproof and FTP Pro. With all the parasites and support issues I've had over the course of such time ... really only 3D-FTP survived.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Affiliate Manager
    What features could I add to WebMerge to obviate the need to deal with other FTP tools?
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

http and a telephoto
    There isn't anything you can do to make me not need an ftp program You would have to build one in, and a shell program too. The datafeeds have to be downloaded via ftp, then the pages uploaded when finished. But even if WebMerge did that, I use ftp for a lot of things that I don't use WebMerge for.
    Deborah Carney

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by loxly:
    There isn't anything you can do to make me not need an ftp program You would have to build one in, and a shell program too. The datafeeds have to be downloaded via ftp, then the pages uploaded when finished. But even if WebMerge did that, I use ftp for a lot of things that I don't use WebMerge for. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, there are indeed a great many things WebMerge doesn't address, and so perhaps we'll always need at least one other FTP tool.

But downloading datafeeds via your choice of FTP or HTTP is in development, likely for v3.0. I consider that a central part of the workflow; if we're going to automate, we might as well be serious about it.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

I used FTP Commander for months. It is free and worked well.

Using CuteFTP Pro now the extra features are worth the cost.

R

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread