I have been creating my Webmerge templates as an ordinary file - but now I have been experimenting with using a dreamweaver template file as my WM template.

I can't seem to make this work properly.

The webmerge side of things works OK - but the generated pages are not linked to the DW template file like they would be normally.

Is it possible to do this?

I create a WM template in DW with the common elements stored as library items (not using the DW template feature), don't know if that would work for you. The WM generated pages are linked to the library items ok.

Has anybody checked Macromedia for Extensions that will work with WebMerge?

I'll have a look this afternoon.

Fred

You might just be a Redneck if - Birds are attracted to your beard...

Nothing at Macromedia yet. I am going to try to create an extension. It may be a while with the holidays upon us, but will try to at least get some sort of drop down menu to add WM tags in Dreamweaver.

If anyone has any suggestions for what they would like to see (because sometimes I see very narrowly), please feel free to add it.

I would love to see a way to populate the tags too (with field info from the database). More later.

Fred

You might just be a Redneck if - Birds are attracted to your beard...

Affiliate Manager
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by buy_online:
    Nothing at Macromedia yet. I am going to try to create an extension. It may be a while with the holidays upon us, but will try to at least get some sort of drop down menu to add WM tags in Dreamweaver.

If anyone has any suggestions for what they would like to see (because sometimes I see very narrowly), please feel free to add it.

I would love to see a way to populate the tags too (with field info from the database).QUOTE]

Check out the new TagMaker tool in WebMerge 2.3's Tools menu. It lets you point-and-click your way to error-free tags, and has a Copy button so you can easily switch over to DW and paste.

I had looked into making extensions for DW, GoLive, and others, but with so many different APIs building it into WebMerge made it possible to deliver a solution quickly that works with any HTML editor.

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any site

I create a WM template in DW with the common elements stored as library items (not using the DW template feature), don't know if that would work for you. The WM generated pages are linked to the library items ok ......

That's what I do at the moment too - it works very well.

I'm not sure what Richard means about these tag maker tools - does this mean I can use a Dreamweaver template file or not?

I would like to know more about how you would use html editors and Webmerge.
    Time is the reason we look into tools, scripts etc. so it would seem natural to me to find a way to combine them.
    I have no idea how the two would work together at all. The two main tutorials that I found for Webmerge are excellent.
    I think more people would get into using Webmerge if they knew how to use it with the html editors they now use.
    Anyone know of any such tutorials?
    Anything is a help at this point for me.
    Thanks
    OF Johnston

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by papabear1126:
    I would like to know more about how you would use html editors and Webmerge.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I do my job right there should be nothing additional to learn. You should be able to put WebMerge tags into HTML source with any HTML editor, just as you would any other tags. It gets even easier with WebMerge's TagMaker tool -- you can point-and-click your way to making a tag, copy it, and paste it into your HTML edtior.

If you find anything special required by any HTML editor to work with WebMerge tags please let me know and I'll do my best to document it.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fourth World:
    It gets even easier with WebMerge's TagMaker tool -- you can point-and-click your way to making a tag, copy it, and paste it into your HTML edtior. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Not in v2.4B1 though
    How's the beta 2 coming along? I've got a few new feeds to work on in the next couple of days, and copying from TagMaker to notepad will come in handy
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nature Boy:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fourth World:
    It gets even easier with WebMerge's TagMaker tool -- you can point-and-click your way to making a tag, copy it, and paste it into your HTML edtior. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Not in v2.4B1 though
    How's the beta 2 coming along? I've got a few new feeds to work on in the next couple of days, and copying from TagMaker to notepad will come in handy <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll post it later today. I'd put it off trying to get some sample files from folks who'd delivered bug reports, but I agree it needs to be posted so I won't put it off much longer.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

Great,

I'll be waiting too.

Fred

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread