Assuming you receive your data from a client and your are building a website for them.

If the data feed can not include images just image url's, then that would mean the images have to be sent in a different folder.
    So how do you folks approach this?
    My guess is I would add the images folder to the base web then open the data feed editor, say Excel, and change the image url paths.
    Following this approach,
    If the image url in the data feed was created from the image file I recieve then the last part of the file path should be correct assuming the image file name remains the same.
    But the first part of the file path will be wrong wont it?
    Can I open Excel and do a find and replace for the image url and just replace part of the path to show the new drive/folder etc. while leaving the remainder of the url in tact?
    Or will have to rewrite the image url for every record?

How do you folks approach this when the data feed and images are from another location and you are sent them?

Thanks
    OF Johnston

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by papabear1126:
    How do you folks approach this when the data feed and images are from another location and you are sent them? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let's start at the beginning: What info for the image is included in the feed? Is it an absolute URL to their server, or a partial URL to a local file?

You might find the Prepend Image Path option helpful.

But in order to make a more specific recommendation, let's see what's in the feed and we'll go from there.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Frank,

What you are describing is the usual situation with datafeeds -- it is always an image URL; images are not supplied in the feed. Since the feed in your case is your own, you would park the images in their own directory and refer to them just as you would if that folder was on a merchant's site. The tutorial example is fine for both situations.
    [URL=http://www.netmagellan.com/]Net Magellan blog[/URL]

The image url data feed in the feed from the client points to the local that the feed was created on, therefore after it is exported is no longer correct.
    So, I also need them to export an image file containing those images.
    That leaves me with a data feed with no longer fully valid image url's.
    Part of the image url will be correct as in the actual image file name and the image names, will be correct, but the beginning of the image url file path will then be wrong.

Assuming all this, I guess I am looking at having to correct all the image url's?
    I doubt if I can get Excell to do only a partial find and replace on the first part of the extensions?
    EX:
    Original file path C:\MyDocuments\MyPictures\ItemImagesVrs1-12-22-04\red-widget-123.jpg
    Have Excel replace some the first part of that url?
    I doubt that will work.

Here is another thought and a possible alternative?
    What if I put the imported image file into the my local machine in the exact same place and match the folder names?
    In other words, when I recieve the imported image file put it in my files using the same path?
    Am I explaining this well and would that work?
    Will OS's matter?
    All I would have to do is make sure the file is added using the identical file path, in this add the file to my machine using: C:\MyDocuments\MyPictures\
    As long as the file paths match this would work wouldnt it?
    Thanks for the help,
    Frank

I forgot to mention my approach to completing the process.
    So assume I have an images file and a data feed file and the image url paths in the data feed lead to the imported image file.
    To save time I mostly use an editor for creating the base web and regular editing of the web and template pages and paste the tags from the WM generator into it, and when I create the base web I also create an images folder.
    Webmerge generates the product pages based off my product page template and when I save a page with the editor it queries me to save the image in the webs image file and it updates the path.
    I save the image as requested, the page is saved and it works great that way.

The only problem I have not figured out yet is that I have to open each product page with the editor and close it to trigger the image save feature that will update the image url on the product from the data feed to the image file on the web and then finally I click ok.

Not hard to do with a few hundred products but with a thousand or more,,,,
    So that is where I am at.

Killer Application you have cooked up.
    I see it filling a huge void that has shut out many database managed companies from creating websites because of the develop costs normally associated with using php, mysql, etc.

Thanks again
    Frank

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by papabear1126:
    I doubt if I can get Excell to do only a partial find and replace on the first part of the extensions?
    EX:
    Original file path C:\MyDocuments\MyPictures\ItemImagesVrs1-12-22-04\red-widget-123.jpg
    Have Excel replace some the first part of that url?
    I doubt that will work.

Here is another thought and a possible alternative?
    What if I put the imported image file into the my local machine in the exact same place and match the folder names?
    In other words, when I recieve the imported image file put it in my files using the same path?
    Am I explaining this well and would that work?
    Will OS's matter? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes to both options and the OS doesn't matter. Using the same directory structure on your own PC as the server is a good idea in most cases, but the URL can also be replaced in Excel as you suggest. Search for (e.g.) c:\something\project\images\ and replace with http://www.domain.com/images/.

It's easier than you thought. Good luck!
    [URL=http://www.netmagellan.com/]Net Magellan blog[/URL]

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread