Are webmerge field links case sensitive i.e CATEGORY and Category are they treated as one and the same.

Cheers Kili

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kili:
    Are webmerge field links case sensitive i.e CATEGORY and Category are they treated as one and the same. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Currently WebMerge is not case-sensitive in that regard.

Do you need case-sensitivity?
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

"Do you need case-sensitivity? "

That would be great, considering the possible combinations of file names that are possible with larger (and even smaller) datafeed files.

Fred

Personally I've never felt the need for case sensitivity. And that it's nice not to have worry about it with WM.

If you add it I assume you'll have WM default to the way it is now (not case sensitive) with an option to set it the other way.

Done that way I can't see that anyone would have any problem with it. The question would be how many folks want it and how much trouble it is to add. And maintain.

-- Mike
    A joy shared is a joy doubled.
    A burden shared is a burden lightened.

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buy_online:
    _"Do you need case-sensitivity? "_

That would be great, considering the possible combinations of file names that are possible with larger (and even smaller) datafeed files. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is there a vendor out there using the same name in two or more fields, distinguished only by case?
    Richard Gaskin

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeO:
    Personally I've never felt the need for case sensitivity. And that it's nice not to have worry about it with WM.

If you add it I assume you'll have WM default to the way it is now (not case sensitive) with an option to set it the other way.

Done that way I can't see that anyone would have any problem with it. The question would be how many folks want it and how much trouble it is to add. And maintain. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, those are the considerations.

But there will never be a problem with backward compatibility on something like this. Maintaining backward compatibility with exising files is very important.
    Richard Gaskin

No I dont need case sensitivity. It just that I'm a lazy sod and when typing up it's easier not to have to press the caps lock key

Kili

"Is there a vendor out there using the same name in two or more fields, distinguished only by case? "

Yes, although I can't remember who. It is not doen intentionally (my guess), but I have seen duplicate number/alpha combinations where the only difference is case sensitivity. By having it available, it iwll reduce the pre-run preperation needed.

Fred

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buy_online:
    _"Is there a vendor out there using the same name in two or more fields, distinguished only by case? "_

Yes, although I can't remember who. It is not doen intentionally (my guess), but I have seen duplicate number/alpha combinations where the only difference is case sensitivity. By having it available, it iwll reduce the pre-run preperation needed. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What kind of IT people are these companies hiring who structure their databases so haphazardly?

These are probably the same IT folks who somehow convince management that XML is an efficient format for data feeds.

And to think of all the really good IT people still looking for work....
    Richard Gaskin

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread