Is there way to have an index page name incremented and based on a field name Where the increment would change when the number of records is greater than 25?

Ex.
    Let say the index is based on a field with color names. The result would be...

blue01.htm, blue02.htm, blue03.htm

Color changes to Red

red01.htm, red02.htm, red03.htm

With the above index pages having 25 records each??

Thanks,
    DOug

Bye!

Doug;

This feature doesn't yet exist in WebMerge, but it is on the top of my wish list to Richard. I hope that it may be included in WM 3.0

There is, however, a somewhat cumbersome work around to do what you are describing that I described in a previous posting called. "Lessons Learned in Using WebMerge."

Have a Creative Day!
    FRANK, Baertracks
    Be More Creative

ABW Ambassador
    ...right after the PERL version!

Affiliate-Blog.com

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Baertracks:
    Doug;

This feature doesn't yet exist in WebMerge, but it is on the top of my wish list to Richard. I hope that it may be included in WM 3.0<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's at the top of the list for the next release (v2.4), another free upgrade in development now.

--
    Richard Gaskin
    Fourth World Media Corporation
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any site

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stanley Holtsclaw:
    ...right after the PERL version!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perl - not likely. But do you need a server-based version?

--
    Richard Gaskin

ABW Ambassador
    One word Richard...ABSOLUTELY!

The only real issue I see is that as a server side solution it would require a liberal licensing agreement allowing the script(s) to be installed on multiple domains.

Maybe call it..."WebMerge for the Web" or "WebMerge Server Edition".

Affiliate-Blog.com

http and a telephoto
    I have to disagree with Stanely on this one, I would rather see the features we all need and are requesting added first, THEN a perl version when more of the features that will make is more usable by the masses or by us just plain newbies are ready. Richard only has so much time in a day....

A perl version eventually would be nice, but I really have lots and lots of offline work to do with it I'd rather changes not be live until I approve them in totality! I even use the currently available perl scripts offline and then upload them. Mistakes, really embarassing ones once in a while, have been made by moi and were caught and fixed and no one but me saw them since they weren't "live".

Deborah Carney
    Link up!
    Submit your sites, if you fit the criteria
    http://coolcraftsites.com/directory
    http://coolpetsites.com/petlinks

A server edition would be great - but I say Richard should definately concentrate on giving us the extra features we need first

The incremented index pages referred to in this thread and multiple hierarchies are 2 things that have been long requested

Incidentally - as Richard is working on this index page modification for 2.4 - I hope there will be extra navigation tags to accompany it.

The current tags allow you to create links to First, Last, Previous and Next index pages - but if you split an index page into widgets01.html, widgets02.html etc, these tags would not allow you to create full navigation around all your 'widgets' pages - the 'First' tag would take you to the first index page of the feed - not the first 'widget' index page

I'm sure Richard has thought of it already though

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tiebreaker:
    A server edition would be great - but I say Richard should definately concentrate on giving us the extra features we need first<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For the record, I never mentioned a Perl version, but did mention a server version as you noted. It requires a little customization, but can be custom-built and installed for nearly any server for $995. Feel free to call for details if interested.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Incidentally - as Richard is working on this index page modification for 2.4 - I hope there will be extra navigation tags to accompany it.

The current tags allow you to create links to First, Last, Previous and Next index pages - but if you split an index page into widgets01.html, widgets02.html etc, these tags would not allow you to create full navigation around all your 'widgets' pages - the 'First' tag would take you to the first index page of the feed - not the first 'widget' index page

I'm sure Richard has thought of it already though <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What should these new tags look like?

--
    Richard Gaskin

yep this feature would eliminate manual file renaming work.

The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race. ~Calvin Coolidge

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It requires a little customization, but can be custom-built and installed for nearly any server for $995.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

{Stanley checks wallet...}
    errr...I think I would need an installment plan

Affiliate-Blog.com

"What should these new tags look like?"

Richard - how about a WM-LinkPage tag?

If I split an index page into say 3 different pages, I would like to put a navigation structure on the page that would be something like ....

Page 1 | page 2 | page 3

So that you could easily navigate around the 3 widgets pages.

You should also be able to identify which of the 3 pages you are currently on - you can do this in 2 ways

Lets assume that you are currently viewing page 1 ....

You can either have the "page 1" link to be non clickable ordinary text, with page 2 and 3 as links

Or you could simply insert the phrase "Page 1 of 3" - this would obviously change to "Page 2 of 3" when viewing page 2 etc.

Or ideally - you could have both navigation techniques on the page if you wish.

Outsourced Program Manager tmartini's Avatar
    Hi Everyone,

I was just curious to know if this feature (index page name incremented and based on a field name) was implemented in the 2.4 beta. I'm considering Webmerge for my site, but without that feature it really won't work for me.

Thanks in advance.

-- Todd
    Todd Martini
    Digital Marketing Manager
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tmartini:
    Hi Everyone,

I was just curious to know if this feature (index page name incremented and based on a field name) was implemented in the 2.4 beta. I'm considering Webmerge for my site, but without that feature it really won't work for me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not yet, but while I'm wrapping up v2.4 to work on that for v2.5 maybe you can help me: Is there an authoritative source that can demonstrate the relative weight Google gives for page names vs. other factors like overall conceptual relevance, incoming links. etc.?

It would seem reasonable that if you're batting 1000 in all other areas outside of page name that the page name would make only a minor, perhaps transitory, difference in ranking. But I'm certainly no SEO expert -- my difficulty is that so many SEO "experts" give me contradicting advice.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Outsourced Program Manager tmartini's Avatar
    Hi Richard,

Thanks for the quick reply. At this point I don't think there's an authoritative source on the Google algorithim, especially after this last update. From what I can tell Google seems to be primarily looking at page name, PR (page rank) and content on the page to determine the rankings. Even with that info it's still almost impossible to predict what will work with any certainty. That being said my personal experience is that page name does make a significant impact on rankings, as almost every one of my highly ranked pages have the targeted keyword in the page name.

I'd really like to use webmerge for some two level feeds that I have, but I do need to have both the page name based on a field and the index pages created in increments of 15-20 records/page. The feed I want to use has several top level categories with 100's of records, and putting 200 4k thumbnails on a single page is going to create a monster of a page!

Anyway, I'll check back with you when the 2.5 beta is released to see if you've added this functionality.

Thanks again.

-- Todd
    Todd Martini
    Digital Marketing Manager
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

http and a telephoto
    This was a feature that was extremely high on my list of needs also. I am disappointed it was not included in the 2.4 release.

I agree, we do not have an authorative source to quote, but keyword page names get better ranking in general. And smaller entry pages get more attention also.

The index page sizes and better navigation creation are the 2 things still holding me back from using WebMerge, even though I have a fully registered copy. I can do more with less work and better SEO with something else. I hope to try and use it more in 2005, but the drawbacks of having to "fix" so much after the site is generated is holding me back.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by loxly:
    This was a feature that was extremely high on my list of needs also. I am disappointed it was not included in the 2.4 release. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That feature is still very much in development, but I'd done enough work in other areas that it made sense to put those into people's hands now while I finish that one up.

Please keep in mind that like all of the upgrades thus far both v2.4 and v2.5 are free, so there's no penalty for enjoying the speed and other benefits of v2.4 today while I finish up what's needed for the next one.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread