Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager
    WebMerge 2.4 Beta 1 has been been posted to our Download page.

Summary of new features in WebMerge 2.4:

* WM-If tag has been extended to support multiple conditions, with AND and OR operators and nested parentheses to allow complex evaluations of data from multiple fields.

* WM-Field tag now provides an option to use Unicode text in field data.

* The new WM-Wiki tag allows you simple syntax in your database fields to generate web content.

* The WM-ImagePath tag has been extended to allow standard HTML image attributes which will be included in the generated code.

* Generated pages can now have file names up to 255 characters on Windows and OS X.

* Much of the program has been highly optimized, resulting in performance that's often more than twice as fast as previous versions.

* All paths to directories and other settings are now stored as relative to the settings file, making it easy to move WebMerge-based solutions from one computer to another.

* Improved appearances on all supported platforms, including native controls on Windows XP and Mac OS X.

* Various minor bug fixes. All reproducible issues have been addressed for this release.

Please send all bug reports to bugs@fourthworld.com

Thank you for your help testing this new version.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Richard,

There are some problems with displaying the fields in the following drop-down boxes:

Sources > Sort records by field

Index Pages > Auto-Create New Template showing Field

Index Pages > Use Template file specified in Field

Index Pages > Name based on contents of field

Index Pages > Make new Index page when: value in this Field changes:

Detail Pages > Use Template file specified in Field

Detail Pages > Name based on contents of field

Generation > Prepend image path > to field

Whereas before I was getting the dropdown box displaying fine, I'm now getting this:

Field1|Field2|Field3 etc.

Can't test any further until this has been fixed.
    [b][url=www.bandlink.net]Bandlink.net[/url][/b]

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MarkJH:
    Richard,

There are some problems with displaying the fields in the following drop-down boxes:
    Can't test any further until this has been fixed. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. Please send all bug reports to bugs@fourthworld.com

Send bugs via email better ensures I will be able to respond quickly.

2. I'm unable to reproduce this, but it sounds like a delimiter issue. Please double-check that the delimiter settings are appropriate to your file. One of the most common reasons WebMerge will faily to parse a file correctly is because the "Text values are in quotes" checkbox is set to true when it shouldn't be.

If that doesn't resolve it, when you email your reply please note your operating system and include the relevant files needed to reproduce the issue (in this case the settings file and a portion of the source file).
    Richard Gaskin

Interesting checking it out thanks for the upgrade

I must be dumb.
    I couldnt find the DL link to take a look?

It's not the button on the right, it's about half way down the page below the download for v2.3

Fred

Not a bug, but dang, does the interface ever need to be darkened

I think I may have found something... I can't copy and paste from Tag Maker into a notepad document (.txt or .htm). I've tried different settings files and even rebooted my PC and I still can not get anything to paste.

It does paste into wordpad and Word, but I use notepad to create my HTML.

Sending you an email Richard.
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nature Boy:
    Not a bug, but dang, does the interface ever need to be darkened <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The gradient fill background is the same as in v2.3. The region within the tabs should be using your Win system color for filling tab controls.

Which part of the interface appears darker to you?
    Richard Gaskin

No is unique tag for index pages?

On my system, the whole displays is now more of an off white instead of the beige? color it was before. I'll send you a screen shot of 2.3 and 2.4, side by side, off of my system so you can see for yourself.

I figuared it was because this release was still in beta.
    Scott
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nature Boy:
    On my system, the whole displays is now more of an off white instead of the beige? color it was before. I'll send you a screen shot of 2.3 and 2.4, side by side, off of my system so you can see for yourself. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be helpful. The main portion within the tabs should be off-white, while the menunbar and the region just outside of the tab should be beige. I'm anxious to see how your screen shot compares with my default Win XP setting.

The gradient fill at the top and bottom is indeed relatively darker than in v2.3, because the tab area is slightly larger now and has reduced the lighter pixels in the gradient. I've made new gradients that are closer to the standard Win palette and much lighter, so the general appearance in the next beta should be less dark overall.
    Richard Gaskin

It's biege for me, but doesn't look quite right. I have them up side-by-side. I think I like the grey from 2.3 better.

Fred

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buy_online:
    It's biege for me, but doesn't look quite right. I have them up side-by-side. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What looks off about it? It should be using the same control color as all other standard Win apps (compare to the tab region in the Display control panel, for example).

I could blow off the Win guidelines and do my own colors, but before I do I want to make sure this isn't just a case of being to used to me doing it wrong for so long.
    Richard Gaskin

Gotta love it when the biggest problem so far is the color of the program
    Scott

Affiliate Manager
    Gotta love it when the biggest problem so far is the color of the program <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL, Scott.

I wish that would remain the case, but alas once folks dive into multiple IF criteria I suspect things may get tricky (too many combinations to test for here).

But I know folks haven't been testing with it much or we would have read a post or two by now about how much faster this version is: On my laptop, running the Congress Contact List example in v2.3 it generates 540 pages in about 21 seconds, and in v2.4 it takes only about 8 seconds. I find similar time savings with most examples I've run through it.
    Richard Gaskin

A new beta with new features?

I can barely understand how to use version 2.3!

Sorry for the delay Richard, I've been swamped. I'll be going over it tomorrow (as though my opinion is important) .

Now you could have given my a copy of it a couple of weeks ago, just before I ran a bunch of sites with 2.3

Lastly, please answer my email

Fred

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fourth World:

But I know folks haven't been testing with it much or we would have read a post or two by now about how much faster this version is: On my laptop, running the Congress Contact List example in v2.3 it generates 540 pages in about 21 seconds, and in v2.4 it takes only about 8 seconds. I find similar time savings with most examples I've run through it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You know how people are. They like to complain more than they like to compliment. And yes, I've noticed the fairly sizable speed up myself.

I think alot of the problem comes from some of us are using the same templates from 2.3 so not to change anything too drasticly for the holiday season.

If you can get that color issue and the text copy problem fixed up, I think all my concerns will be fixed
    Scott

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sweat:
    A new beta with new features?

I can barely understand how to use version 2.3! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've enahnced some of the documentation, and included links directly to Fred's and Frank's wonderful tutorials. This version offers more goodies, but you can ignore them until you have time to look at them, and just enjoy the twice-as-fast performance for now.
    Richard Gaskin

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buy_online:
    Sorry for the delay Richard, I've been swamped. I'll be going over it tomorrow (as though my opinion is important) .

Now you could have given my a copy of it a couple of weeks ago, just before I ran a bunch of sites with 2.3

Lastly, please answer my email <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just did. Thanks for your patience.

Actually, your opinion IS important. You're one of the major power users of WebMerge. If I can't make you happy with an upgrade it's time to hang up my hat.
    Richard Gaskin

Affiliate Manager
    I think alot of the problem comes from some of us are using the same templates from 2.3 so not to change anything too drasticly for the holiday season. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apparently I haven't made it clear just how obsessive I am about backward compatibility. I strongly feel that all upgrades should be automatically and fully compatible with all existing v2.x templates and settings files.

WebMerge is designed for automation -- you set it up once and just run it. If I require any modification for an upgrade it takes the joy out of it.

In the most extreme case I can imagine, a very substantial revision to WebMerge might one day require some changes as the settings file format changes. But even then any need for that would be called out when an earlier settings file is opened, would completely automate changes, and would make a backup of the original for you.

I did that with the file format change with v2.0, and will continue to prioritize ease of automation in all versions going forward.

In v2.4 it's even simpler: the file format is the same as with v2.3, so your existing settings files should work with no changes at all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you can get that color issue and the text copy problem fixed up, I think all my concerns will be fixed <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Both are being addressed for the next build.
    Richard Gaskin

Finally got around to trying 2.4. The SPEED increase is VERY VERY impresseive. Congratualtions Richard! That improvement alone is worth upgrading.

I'm not sure if this is a bug report or not, so I will also post it here and also send it via email. When I doubleclick an existing WM setting file to open it using 2.4, WM correctly identifies the source files as being "MS Excel Text - Tab Delimited". However, it also defaults to a "checked" box for "Text values are in quotes." The result is that WM does not display the fields in my datafeed correctly AND also messes up the settings in the "Name based on contents of field" section. So, not only do I have to uncheck the box in each setting file, I also have to reset the settings in the Generated File Names section.

Has anyone else observered this "problem"? Or, am I doing something wrong?

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Baertracks:
    Finally got around to trying 2.4. The SPEED increase is VERY VERY impresseive. Congratualtions Richard! That improvement alone is worth upgrading.

I'm not sure if this is a bug report or not, so I will also post it here and also send it via email. When I doubleclick an existing WM setting file to open it using 2.4, WM correctly identifies the source files as being "MS Excel Text - Tab Delimited". However, it also defaults to a "checked" box for "Text values are in quotes." The result is that WM does not display the fields in my datafeed correctly AND also messes up the settings in the "Name based on contents of field" section. So, not only do I have to uncheck the box in each setting file, I also have to reset the settings in the Generated File Names section.

Has anyone else observered this "problem"? Or, am I doing something wrong? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've already replied to this in email. With a new version this forum could get filled up pretty fast with reports, so please send them via email and I'll respond as quickly as I did with your last one -- here's the reply I sent you:

------------------
    If the file is from Excel, it should normally have the "Text values are in quotes" checkbox set. If your file never used that in the past it doesn't conform to the Microsoft standard for CSV (wouldn't be the first time they ignored their own specs) and I'll need to look into it further.

Could I trouble you to send me a portion (preferably less than 100k) of the file?
    Richard Gaskin

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Baertracks:
    Finally got around to trying 2.4. The SPEED increase is VERY VERY impresseive. Congratualtions Richard! That improvement alone is worth upgrading. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Considering that it's a free upgrade I'd certainly hope so.

I have an update about this one:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>When I doubleclick an existing WM setting file to open it using 2.4, WM correctly identifies the source files as being "MS Excel Text - Tab Delimited". However, it also defaults to a "checked" box for "Text values are in quotes." The result is that WM does not display the fields in my datafeed correctly AND also messes up the settings in the "Name based on contents of field" section. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For delimited formats from Microsoft products, in nearly every case having that checkbox set is the correct option. Any file from a Microsoft product that parsed correctly without that set was an error in WebMerge, and has been corrected in this version.

Where things went wrong was the new parsing algorithm WebMerge uses to slice and dice those files. Microsoft uses a uniquely inefficient form in its delimited files which requires a lot of work to process, so using this new parsing method is important for those of us who use such files.

The implementation of this new method in WebMege 2.4 Beta 1 was flawed, but I spent some time this weekend working it over and it now seems okay. Beta 2 will have this fix, to be posted within 48 hours.

You should find that the "Processing" phase of WebMerge generation is now about 8 to 10 times faster than in v2.3, thanks to this new method.

Please give Beta 2 a thorough workout when it's posted so we can know the new method is working well. Thanks in advance -
    Richard Gaskin

ABW Ambassador
    How the @#%& did I miss this thread! I've been so busy building pages with WebMerge 2.3 that I missed a Beta release???

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast