I signed up with the commission junction affiliate system. I have about three companies I am signed up with. I have thought about paying the $200.00 fee for the data feeds, but would like to know how well does Webmerge handle CJ data feeds.

I am new to data feeds, but do know HTML, some javascripting, am quite familiar with installation of and tweaking PHP and CGI scripts as well as basics of setting up a SQL database (usually part of installing a PHP script). I would like to know if it would be worthwhile to purchase Webmerge for use with CJ data feeds.

Webmerge does just fine with cj feeds. Some of the feeds need more cleaning than others, and some of the merchants are not too adept at categorization.

I would check to see if your merchants offer feeds outside of cj before coughing up the $200, especially if it's just for three merchants. Performics and BeFree don't charge for datafeeds, although Performics will usually only allow you three to start with.

A note of caution with feeds......make sure you don't just use them without modifying them, this will help to lessen your chance of getting caught in Google's dupe filter.
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

Thanks for your response. I keep hearing about this "BeFree", but I must be missing the boat or something. All I keep getting is befree.com. BeFree.com automatically forwards to the commission junction website. I do not know of any "free" data feeds from cj.com. The only info I have found in regards to data feeds and cj.com is that I can obtain them after paying them $200.00. All info is greatly appreciated.

I have looked at performics (performics.com). My main and only reason for joining CJ is because there are three select companies that have their affiliate system with them. If these three companies used a different affiliate system, I would be with that affiliate system.

ABW Ambassador
    For BeFree go to reporting.net. They are joined at the hip with CJ now though; the proverbial evil siamese twins

As it sounds like you are just starting out, sign up for Shareasale if you're not already. Their merchant product feeds are available for download directly from the Shareasale interface at no cost to you. This way you can get your feet wet and better gauge whether it's worth it to you to spend the additional fee on CJ feed access.

http and a telephoto
    One of the tutorials uses CJ feeds as an example. If you are only using three merchants, email each affiliate program manager and ask if they have an outside or free feed. The worst they can do is say no. You may find that they do not even have a feed within CJ either. Not all programs have datafeeds.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

For information about FREE BeFree datafeeds, send an email enquiry to Scott Jangro at sjangro@cj.com.

Since BeFree has been taken over by CJ, the BeFree FREE datafeed policy may have changed.

http and a telephoto
    Scott is no longer with BeFree.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I kinda figured that about scott. I tried to send an e-mail to scaott via one ot the e-mail addresses he had posted on the forum from 2003. I got the e-mail returned by their mailservers.

I have signed up with sharealink and am awaiting approval. I have also e-mail the companies that go through CJ to see if they do have feeds and if they do, if they have any free versions.

Is there any particular feed type that works best with Webmerge (e.g. piped, tab delimited, comma, XML, etc)?

How do you modify feeds?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steele
    A note of caution with feeds......make sure you don't just use them without modifying them, this will help to lessen your chance of getting caught in Google's dupe filter.
    Hi Steele,

Just a quick question......I'm new to feeds. Lets say you have a feed with 5000 products.......how do you modify them?

1) Go through each record manually?

2) Or is there some automated method to modify it?

3) Some other method?

Many thanks!

Nordie

From hippityhopper:
    "Is there any particular feed type that works best with Webmerge (e.g. piped, tab delimited, comma, XML, etc)?"

WebMerge will work with all of the file formats you listed, except XML.

From Nordie:
    ".......how do you modify them?"
    You can modify them with a scripting language like perl or PHP, or you can do it with Excel. If you don't modify it at all, your pages/site will likely be banned from some SE's. Additionally, others with the same feed have modified their feeds and will rank higher than you anyway.

So guess what? - modify your feed prior to building pages. Have a great day!

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Nordie
    Lets say you have a feed with 5000 products.......how do you modify them?
    The list is endless, which helps to make your data a little different.

e.g.
    1. Decide which variable to put in the Title tag - sometimes use more than one
    2. Ditto for Keywords and Description meta tags
    3. Choose which fields you will show in the body of the page and in which order.
    4. Use the CONCATENATE operator in your spreadsheet - very handy when the data contains words such as "index"
    5. Find an external source of public domain data, e.g. CIA fact book can provide slabs of text for names of countries

This is excellent advise. I will also take this route.

Thanks

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread