I was reading in the following thread:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...highlight=tier

It mentioned something about a "category" field. Where exactly is this "category" option at?

I am having a problem where Webmerge creates the folders, it creates the details pages perfectly via the template I created. My issue is with the index page. The index page might produce multiple links to say "Globes". Each link for "Globes" is to a different globe product. I am wanting the globes to be indexed on a tier level, not all links to globes on the index page.

I have tried sorting via "ADVERTISERCATEGORY". I do not see a "category" listed under the sources tab. The only fields I see that are close to that is the ADVERTISERCATEGORY and the THIRDPARTYCATEGORY.

For my sources, I have the checkbox checked off that says "sort records by field" with the filed of ADVERTISERCATEGORY selected. I have the preset of "Affiliate Feed - Pipe delimited" set.

As for my index, I have the following set:

For the "Index Template", I have "Auto-Create Template showing Field:" selected, with the field of ADVERTISERCATEGORY. I have also tried setting it to NAME.

The bottom box of "Generated File Name", I have "Make only one index page" selected. I have also tried it with "Name based on contents of field" selected with the field of NAME and tried it with the field of ADVERTISERCATEGORY.

I have been messing with this for quite a few hours trying every combination I could think of. I guess I have not figured the correct one yet. I take it my feed is good. I downloaded it from the CJ FTP server.
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; January 28th, 2005 at 08:30 PM.

The "Categories" you are searching for, are part of your datafeed, and need to be dealt with in the "Index Template," not in WebMerge itself.

Have you tried Frank's tutorial at:

http://www.creativenutsandbolts.com/webmerge/

Fred

Still need help
    I have read through Frank's tutorial multiple times. Maybe there's something I am missing.

I am still unable to get WebMerge to produce the pages correctly. One problem I did find was that Metroluxury.net does not have anything for the ADVERTISERCATEGORY field. I have edited the data feed and created a separate data feed for metroluxury.net. I will deal with the metroluxury.net feed later (i.e. once I get the other feed tow work as I would like it).

Using the sample templates, the most I have been able to manage was to get the "categories" listed on the Index page, but I still have multiple listings of the same categories. I have been trying multiple combinations and methods with the templates since I had originally posted (1/15/05). I don't seem to have got much further.

What I am trying to do seems like a simple concenpt, but I'll be darn if I can get it to work.

All I am wanting to do is the first index.html page list all the categories (which works better now that I have removed the metroluxury.net products). Then, each category links to an index page for each category. That "category" index page links to each one of the products.

Currently, I have multiple listings of "Rings" on the main index.html page. Each "Rings" link links to a different product under the ring category. I would like to get rid of that multiple listing as mentioned above. I would like to have on the main index.html page a link for the category of "Rings". The link for the Rings category would take you to a listing of all of the "rings" products. I noticed in the tutorial there is a template that lists all the products in a category with their picture. I would then want each picture to link to the "product details" page.

Any help is appreciated.

Do you have "noindex" in the tags in your "Index Template File?"

nope. I have the following:

[WM-RECORD][WM-IndexLabel: ADVERTISERCATEGORY]
    [WM-FIELD: ADVERTISERCATEGORY]
    [/WM-IndexLabel][/WM-Record]

I am trying to use an edited version of the "Frank's WebMerge Tutorial"

Thanks

Thanks
    Hello everyone. I just wanted to thank those that posted for their help. Most importantly, the person named "Frank" that created the tutorials.

After much time (about two weeks), I have finally gotten the hang of things. I now feel quite confident in designing websites using WebMerge. The only issues I do have involve the company's I am dealing with and them not properly organizing their data.

I am using CJ feeds and one company I have to cut out their data feed part, create a new data feed, create my regular website using the edited CJ data feed, then go back and incorporate their data feed in by "NAME" and squeeze them in to my site.

For the most part, though, I have created the templates and they work perfectly with my site design. I am still amazed at the speed of WebMerge. 10,000+ records in only 3.6 minutes creating a 3-tier website.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread