Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Affiliate Network Rep
    Dear ABestWeb:

As many of you know, a year ago LinkShare began to address the parasiteware issue. I am proud to say that we were the first to recognize the importance of the issue and the first to respond to it -- with our amended contract and most recently, with our addendum (which has already been published on ABestWeb). And while our approach has not proceeded without some hiccups and surely is not finished, we are committed and succeeding in protecting our Network.

Many of you also know that thanks to the help of Shawn from Overstock, Haiko from ABestWeb and Wayne from AffTrack, LinkShare sponsored an event to discuss the issue, which culminated in a meeting in NYC on November 7th. The idea behind the event to try to find a way to solve this complex problem. The goal was to propose a solution by early December.

LinkShare has and will continue to pursue our original path of using LinkShare’s addendum to protect affiliates and merchants. We were pleased that the other providers have finally taken a position. Our addendum however, is already inclusive of any “code of conduct” and, in our opinion, gives our partners the type of protection they truly need.

In light of the time and effort that so many affiliates gave to the process, we thank you and reaffirm that irrespective of the other players, LinkShare will to forge ahead to solve this issue. In the past few months, we have been actively signing some of the largest players in the industry to our contractual addendum and are happy to say that the majority of the large players signed prior to the fourth quarter holiday rush. As part of this push, these software companies modified their software so that it would not cause you to lose your LinkShare commissions. I am pleased to announce that, to date, most of the key players, including the companies listed below, have signed our addendum and are in compliance with its terms:

WURLD Media/Buyer’s Port (Morpheus)
    TopMoxie (and their nine clients, including eBates, Upromise, etc.)
    ShopAtHome Select
    FatWallet

Hopefully, their cooperation will not go unnoticed by the merchants and affiliates in The LinkShare Network®.

Let me conclude by thanking all of you who contributed to moving this discussion forward. LinkShare is grateful for all of your support.

Best regards,
    Stephen Messer
    LinkShare Corporation

Continued Here

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

This industry needs an enema. I don't really know where to start but I view today's events (this post and the media release regarding the LS, BF, Performics CoC) as very disappointing. We all came together (although some might argue this) under a common cause and came away fragmented. Why can't we all just get along, people? Why the sophmoric "my rules are better than your rules" garbage? Why does one company get shoved out of the old boy's club and wind up posting "we don't need to be together on this - we'll just solve it ourselves... for all of you." What, now Linkshare is my Messiah? Never mind the fact that Linkshare called the bloody meeting in the first place - called everyone together asking for the unity that it now disregards.

I know I'm supposed to offer something constructive here... but I'm sorry. I'm really confused. Who should I like? I want to know who I should like!!! Who will be my Jesus? Oh... forget it. I'm just going to worship at the altar of Webmaster Mike.

ABW Ambassador
    Who should you like? You're looking at what network to like or dislike, when you should be looking at the individual merchant, MrMerchant

Sales are everywhere, Sales are mine.

ABW Ambassador
    You could worship me. I do. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Obstinatedon

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

Mahatma Gandhi

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I mentioned before, that, if this does not get resolved to the affiliates satisfaction, that this issue was going to get *elevated*. Personally, every time I read this thread I am getting more and more ticked off.

"The internet is an audience of one, a million times over." -Peter Guber

ABW Ambassador
    For once Elbowcreek, you and I agree.

Obstinatedon

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

Mahatma Gandhi

ABW Ambassador
    Elevation is going to be interesting, since I don't think it will elevate very well. If someone wants to involve the courts I think I would almost be relieved.

-wayne

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wayne Porter- AffTrack:
    Elevation is going to be interesting, since I don't think it will elevate very well.

-wayne<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol, you obviously have not seen me in full bit@h mode....

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

But if the arrow is straight and the point is slick,
    It can pierce through dust no matter how thick. dylan

Yeah, yeah, yada-yada. If a smaller affiliate whines but nobody is there to listen.....

Hey - let's be honest here. Since Steve is bringing this in this "new direction," let's go with the flow, people. Okay - now... AffiliateGrudge Match 2000. Everyone's dad gets placed into a ring, see, and they duke it out. Now, Performics and Linkshare seem to have nice, spunky, young CEO's. I'm going with youth. Who's dad do you think would win? Remember, now, I'm throwing this out there as it follows the theme that Steve's post presents.

ABW Ambassador
    I have heard a lot of people in "***** mode", that is about all I have heard. Personally I feel they should either support the Code of Conduct or start filing suits and save the "*****ing" since it really doesn't go anywhere.

As for a grudge match mrmerchant. I think Pullen could do some damage in the ring. That is neither here nor there...let's work on creating a webcast so we can cash in... :P

-wayne

Wayne Porter
    V.P. Product Development
    AffTrack LLC.
    http://www.afftrack.com
    http://www.revtrends.com
    Get a free two-week trial use code ABWEB at RevTrends.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrmerchant:

Hey - let's be honest here.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol, ok [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

I agree with you though.

If Linkshare would take a hard stance, they could blow CJ, BeeFree and Performics out of the water.

And beside, the young guys are easy on the eyes, will they be wearing those cute boxer shorts at the match?

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

But if the arrow is straight and the point is slick,
    It can pierce through dust no matter how thick. dylan

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>will they be wearing those cute boxer shorts at the match?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anybody have a contact with Joe Boxer? I am determined to make this event pay off...

-wayne

ABW Ambassador
    Its always difficult to accept that something we were involved in was a complete waste of time - especially if we saw oursleves as wearing underpants on the outsides of our trousers.

Fortunately most affiliates are impressed by action and deeds, not hot air and large S symbols.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

ABW Ambassador
    Well, I just can't resist.

Wayne your presence and incredible timing on being here as the announcement was made along with your attempts to smooooooth over legitimate issues that afifliates have are once again impecible.

I also see you've once again rouded up MrMerchant to follow you around as well.

I get a real kick out of this. There are attempts at organizing affiliates and providing information to ensure claims are filed in a like maner. Maybe now more affiliates will be actually come forward because as I said along and (you probably agree with) - It is not really in the networks interest to protect individual affiliates. - They have a valid business reason to do so but - they surely are'nt obligated.

Many other items of which "you are totally unaware" are being worked on that do present clear dangers to networks who refuse to protect affiliates and hence themselves as well as leveling the field and putting parasites on a competing platform they are not familiar with.

The fight has only begun! Merchants have yet to respond and the organization of afifliates will now become a must if they are to survive.

The stakes just rose a bunch. I'll be looking forward to seeing more of you and ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm Mr. merchant around in the future.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Mrmerchant said: "Oh... forget it. I'm just going to worship at the altar of Webmaster Mike."

I have to warn you we pass the hat at my Church.

Wow to think this very morning I posted it was strange we hadn't heard from Wayne -Stephen -MrMerchant and the fatWallet guy for ages. Does that make me Psychic or Psychotic.

WebMaster Mike

"Vision without Action is a daydream .. Action without vision can be a nightmare"
    Combine the two and you have the makings of a profitable reality!

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Many other items of which "you are totally unaware" are being worked on that do present clear dangers to networks who refuse to protect affiliates and hence themselves as well as leveling the field and putting parasites on a competing platform they are not familiar with.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Happyparasiteharpoon
    I agree but lets not give anything away at this early stage.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Jeez Wayne I was ordering some WWF style tights and a special sequined ABW red cape for TigerDirect's Andy. Maybe we could go together and get a group discount on opposing forces outfits and some MTV air time and make this payoff.

WebMaster Mike

"Vision without Action is a daydream .. Action without vision can be a nightmare"
    Combine the two and you have the makings of a profitable reality!

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Wow to think this very morning I posted it was strange we hadn't heard from Wayne <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike,

I was out of the country for a good part of last week. In addition I had a death in the family and had to take a bit of time off.
    -wayne

ABW Ambassador
    perfectG - FYI: You as well have no idea to what I'm refering to but maybe the day will come soon.

ABW Ambassador
    I will vouch for Wayne on this one folks. I talked to him via IM while he was out of the country, and I have already offered my condolences.

Wayne and I disagree on this one folks, but he is my friend - period. Hopefully, Wayne will see that his obstinance on this issue is simply because of all the time he has involved, rather than actually believing that this Code of Conduct is anything other than a feeble attempt to placate a million affiliates with a placebo.

Obstinatedon

Mahatma Gandhi

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Wayne your presence and incredible timing on being here as the announcement was made along with your attempts to smooooooth over legitimate issues that afifliates have are once again impecible.

I also see you've once again rouded up MrMerchant to follow you around as well..<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your wounded ego and baseless accusation are once again speaking louder than any words that you may type, poon. I challenge you, sir, to point at one instance of Mr. Porter (who, yes, is an ally and friend... you have those too, right?) smoothing (why don't you come right out and say squelching) issues that you have. Can the sarcasm...oh, wait. Sorry... I can't bust you on that ;-)

Many other items of which "you are totally unaware" are being worked on that do present clear dangers to networks who refuse to protect affiliates and hence themselves as well as leveling the field and putting parasites on a competing platform they are not familiar with...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, yes... some quack lawyer's class action suit. Give me a break, guy. Good luck. Next you'll tell me that FatWallet has been oh-so-bad with its publishing of sale prices (LOL) and Gator is going to get sued out of business. Right.

The fight has only begun! Merchants have yet to respond and the organization of afifliates will now become a must if they are to survive.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Poon, while you are right about the merchants (hell, they have yet to LEARN let alone respond)...have you ever looked at the numbers like Wayne has? Like I have? If you have (and it's not your fault that you've not... understand this) you would understand more clearly. The fight will be won by those who command sales volume - period. Networks will be there to track, collect and distribute the loot.

Smaller affiliates are falling out of fashion as customer acquisition becomes less important to merchants. Retention is key... and merchants will only remain working with affiliates who help to retain customers and keep them buying more frequently. How? Through things like downloadable applications or value propositions beyond a banner w/ a 10% off promo... such as uPromise (funding your kid's college fund) or MyPoints (earning points that you can spend on stuff or air fare) or eBates (cash back). Do you provide any such value adds? If not, I'd get on the cluetrain!

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wayne Porter- AffTrack:
    Elevation is going to be interesting, since I don't think it will elevate very well. If someone wants to involve the courts I think I would almost be relieved.

-wayne<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First of all, it is both absurd and undesirable for businesses to unify on any issue. It is natural for them to take any issue and try to make a competitive advantage out of it.

Stealing commissions is really a legal issue. These downloads that actively affect a computer user's browsing ability has a very anti consumer overtone (even when they pay an ebate). Stealing commissions is quite clearly theft.

Personally I would have wished that the whole efforts of Nov. 7 was to develop a court ruling that would define the legal definitions. Then let the disunified companies develop their own ways of coping with the law.

Protophoto - Short Stories

ABW Ambassador
    MrMerchant do you have any numbers on Amazon? No network, lots of small affiliates. They seem to do ok.

Sales are everywhere, Sales are mine.

I really don't know what to say, it's okay to steal our commission, but not until you reach the merchant site. Makes me sick to my stomach, it's going to be up to us "little" affiliates to take this into private, and decide how we are going to deal with these networks and merchants. Let everyone else pat themselves on the backs, and give each other parasite high fives, we need to get our sites ready, nobody else can do anything for seeing the dollar signs, the justice system takes to long, our sites will be closed by then. Time to cut em off at the knees.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast