Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Hello to all my fellow ABW members...

While another anonymous person who calls him/herself High Roller (Hi Sasha) is way off base as it pertains to my being, or having ever been, a board member at LinkShare, I did indeed work there as a Director. I no longer am with LinkShare, but believe me, I still believe them to be the premier affiliate network provider; and, the one who continues to maintain the affiliates' wellbeing as their primary duty in order to continue as a productive and profitable company.

The primary reasons I have spent the better part of the past couple years in this anonymous roll was to fully immerse myself into the affiliate communities; all the communities, no matter how large or small. As a matter of fact, I did this on my own at first, without letting Stephen or any of the rest of the folks in NY know, simply because of the falsehoods being spread by a number of contintuous morons who lied; or at the very least, were very economical of the truth during LS' time of quiet period - forced upon them by the SEC while they had IPO papers filed.

One of the things I discovered early on is the fact that the affiliate communities, regardless of size, were being underutilized, taken advantage of, and effectively slapped around; therefore, changes had to be made at all the providers to get that to change for the better.

Though I do not, under any circumstance, take credit for the many positive changes at LinkShare, and certainly not at the other providers - I do feel honored to have been a small part of said change. Frankly, credit for the majority of those changes should go to the single person who cares most about the affiliate community at large; and that is Stephen Messer - period.

Those of you who wish to bash away may do so at your will, as is your right under our U.S. First Amendment. However, I would like you to keep a few things in mind prior to doing so.

First - I have never once lied to the affiliate community at large - not a single time.

Second - My primary focus has been to bring the challenges of the affiliates to LinkShare as I saw them, while looking from the affiliate side of the street, so to speak.

Third - My motivation has always been as an advocate of the network provider - regardless of which one this community, and others, were slapping around at any given period.

Fourth, and finally - I have never once put the network provider (even LinkShare, my employer at the time) ahead of the affiliate community. I have put forth the affiliate side of the equation ahead of all else for the better part of two years, and will continue to do so. THAT, you can bet your next commission check upon.

I will also tell any affiliate, at any given time, when I think they are out of their ever-loving mind as it pertains to the concept of affiliate marketing in general; and, any of the providers in particular. Further, I will continue to tell the provides when I think they are out of line, and less than honest as it applies to the affiliate community at large.

I have always done this - I always shall continue.

Yours...

Obstinatedon
    Don Council
    Ex - Director for LinkShare Corporation

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

Mahatma Gandhi

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Hope my name was never used in vain as I scurring around attacking the Windmills of ecommerce. If nothing else Don and I have been consistant even when pulling on different ends of the affiliate rope.

WebMaster Mike

ABW Ambassador
    <g> I have been waiting over a year and half to hear that Don...

+7 longevity bonus.

-wayne

Wayne Porter
    V.P. Product Development
    AffTrack LLC.
    http://www.afftrack.com
    http://www.revtrends.com
    Advanced & Automated Data Analysis for Performance Marketers.

Don,

Although I really didn't see a need for you to explain yourself, nor your impetus to anyone, I allowed the post to go past moderation as you decided to post it.

I can say that I have learned much from and because of you and not just about affiliate marketing [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] .

I appreciate your willingness to "identify" yourself, but I, as I'm sure many, never doubted your impetus or great participation in the industry.

Respectfully, as always,

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

don,

many of us more recent participants in ABW, and not in the know, had instinctively detected "something" in your "peppery smarts" of your past comments posted here, and had much enjoyed your challenging manner.

personally I somehow regret your "coming out", things can hardly be the same - somehow like losing a worthy adversary . . .

ABW Ambassador
    Hello heisje....

Frankly, even being under-cover for so long, the last thing I ever really wanted was an adversarial relationship with any affiliate, or group of affiliates.

I know for a fact that at least one of the network providers has the affiliates best interests at heart; and therefore was at my obstinate best/worst when someone posted comments that reflected something substantially less than truthful, simply because that person was acting out of ignorance of what was really happening.

I have not died heisje, just moved along for reasons only a few know.

I will tell you this however; I do still plan to be an active member of ABW, and will continue to speak from a standpoint of discovery.

Obstinatedon

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

Mahatma Gandhi

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Frankly, even being under-cover for so long, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you have to undergo any sort of "deepcover therapy"?

-wayne

Wayne Porter
    V.P. Product Development
    AffTrack LLC.
    http://www.afftrack.com
    http://www.revtrends.com
    Advanced & Automated Data Analysis for Performance Marketers.

ABW Ambassador
    Doing it now Wayno....

Golf Therapy.

Don

Mahatma Gandhi

ABW Ambassador
    at least you stopped with the boxing nonsense. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

-w

ABW Ambassador
    Yes indeed Wayno....

Today, a kidney punch could indeed be the method of my demise.

Now, on the other hand, should you wish to try your pugilistic prowess at any given point and time, I might reconsider.

Obstinatedon

Mahatma Gandhi

Perhaps you will do something in Advertising in NY?

I'm sure that in good time you'll let us know why now was the right time to fill us in on your background.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Now, on the other hand, should you wish to try your pugilistic prowess at any given point and time, I might reconsider. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll pass. You're too old and in much better shape then me. I will just settle for the occasional ad hominem attack and verbal sparring. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    -w

Don might have knocked me down a few times with a hidden right ..but I know I can whoop him on the Golf Course. Age ain't nothing but an excuse!!

WebMaster Mike

ABW Ambassador
    Now that is a game I would be willing to attend. (provided I am allowed to drink) Don do you want to host the Webmaster Mike Master's Tourney?

-wayne

We can hold it at EastLake CC. in Atlanta so Wayne and crew can see my 70's mugshot on a plaque in the lobby. Seems I was the first one ever to get a verified Hole in One on their 18Th Hole shot during the Club Championship that year. The Atlanta papers also note in the same round I lucked in a double Eagle on the 5th hole. That event shot my handicap all to hell and within 2 months I had to give up gambling with golfing buddies and look for victims on strange golf venues.

WebMaster Mike

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>so Wayne and crew can see my 70's mugshot on a plaque in the lobby. Seems I was the first one ever to get a verified Hole in One on their 18Th Hole shot during the Club Championship that year. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let me guess- you and Tiger Woods had a celebration drink before you brokered that CNN/Time Warner deal with Ted and his cronies? :P

-wayne

"Let me guess- you and Tiger Woods had a celebration drink before you brokered that CNN/Time Warner deal with Ted and his cronies? :P"

Tiger Woods wasn't even born yet and Ted Turner still just managed the family Cable network. A four wood across the lake to a severe sloping elevated green ...223 yards. I only had one scotch in me at that point. The plaque, My name on the Trophy and decoupaged Sports page article are there in the hallway to the Pro Shop. The Pro's at this year's PGA Championship all begged to get par on the 18th. I'd rather their skills but they'd do appreciate blind luck as a factor in golf.

WebMaster Mike

ABW Ambassador
    Mike,

Are we taking put-put golf or the real deal...and what else did you have on top of that scotch?

<Grin>

-Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    It was the 70's Wayne. Obviously Mike was another one of those who disregarded the command "Don't eat the brown acid!"

Obstinatedon

Mahatma Gandhi

ABW Ambassador
    That explains it all... I was only a baby in the 70's so I missed out on all that whacky stuff...as well as Ted's adolescense.

I suspect Mike is suffering from flashbacks...

-wayne

despite all appearances to the contrary, witnesses would be ready to confirm that Mike was, exceptionally , sober at the time and while not totally devoid of luck exhibited a level of sportsmanship which attracted admiring comment from the bystanders, not least from quarters rumoured to be connected to a particular illustrious european Royal House.

(see clippings from The Times of that period, including photos, to this effect)

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/sportingev...golf/mike.html

[This message was edited by heisje on November 21, 2002 at 01:07 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    Had me going there for a minute heisje. Unfortunately, the link doesn't work.

Those of a particular "Royal House", wouldn't be another antiquarian name for an outhouse would it. After all, in many circles, the toilet is indeed called a "throne".

Best,

Obstinatedon

Mahatma Gandhi

For the sleuths out there and those wishing to up my taste in Scotch to Chevas Royal Salute if my claim to Golf fame is proven to be fact ..not ficton. Starters .. http://www.golfweb.com/tournaments/r...tsheet2002.pdf so you can learn about the historic significance of the course, and suitable contacts. The Atlanta Journal wrote the article in their sports section, which is not in their online archieves.

THE TOUR Championship returns to East Lake
    http://www.golfweb.com/u/ce/multi/pg...983523,00.html Tom Cousins of Cousins Properties was a successful Shopping center developer and member at the time and now is The owner and Chairman of the Club.

Course Profile > More
    This course, renovated by Rees Jones in 1994-95, was the site of the 1963 Ryder Cup. Some of the fairways are wide open, while others are lined by mature trees. The greens are always well maintained and putt true. "Golf Digest" rated it as the 3rd "Best in State" course for 1997-98, and under the category of "America's 100 Greatest Courses" it was ranked 94th for the same years. "GOLFWEEK" rated it 24th among "America's 100 Best Classical Courses" for 1997, 32nd for 1998 and 27th for 1999. "GOLF Magazine" chose it 66th among the "Top 100 Courses in the U.S." for 1997 and 54th in 1999. This club will be hosting the U.S. Amateur Tournament in 2001. You might be interested in knowing that this is where Bobby Jones learned to play golf. Inside the golf shop, Jones' locker still remains intact. Donald Ross twice redesigned the course earlier this century, and George Cobb also did some changes in 1960. Caddies are mandatory.
    Overview Tee Times 4 Days in Advance -- Starting at 800
    Season: 12/12/2002-
    Pro-Shop: On-Site -- Opens at 800
    Year Built: 1910
    Designer(s): Tom Bendelow
    Type of Greens: Bent Grass
    Water Hazards: Yes

Policies Guest Policy: Closed
    Dress Code: No Denim, Collared Shirt and Bermuda Shorts Required
    Walking Allowed: Yes
    Cart Access: None

Services Caddies Available: Yes
    Club Rental: Yes
    Golf Cart Rental: No
    Pull-Cart Rental: No

Pricing & Discounts Weekday - $150.00 (18 holes), $150.00 (9 holes)
    Weekend - $150.00 (18 holes), $150.00 (9 holes)
    Senior Discounts Available: No
    Other Discounts Available: No
    Credit Cards Accepted: Visa - No, MC - No, AMEX - No, Discover - No

Instruction Driving Range: Hit from grass -- Lighted: No
    Chipping Area: Yes
    Practice Bunker: Yes
    Teaching Pro: Yes
    Amenities Full Bar
    Restaurant and Snack Bar

Well back in the 70's it was a little run down with plenty of boozing members, golf hustlers and cost me 28.00 per round including the cart.

Clubhouse Mailing Address:
    2575 Alston Drive, SE
    Atlanta, GA 30317

Agronomy Mailing Address:
    2460 Glenwood Avenue
    Atlanta, GA 30317

Telephone:

Main: 404-373-5722
    Golf Shop: 404-687-8955
    Agronomy: 404-687-2454

Fax:

Main: 404-373-1437
    Golf Shop: 404-687-8722
    Agronomy: 404-687-8742

E-Mail Information:

Director of Golf /General Manager Rick Burton rburton@eastlakegolfclub.com
    Asst. General Manager Melinda Scott
    mscott@eastlakegolfclub.com
    Head Golf Professional Chad Parker
    cparker@eastlakegolfclub.com
    General Mailbox: info@eastlakegolfclub.com

www.eastlakegolfclub.com

WebMaster Mike

alas, I should not have tempted fate!

gods, these days, come back at you with a vengeance and full deployment of the copy / paste facility . . .

I'm trying [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Mr. Hyland,
    I am not certain we will be able to help. Not much info about the older East Lake
    Country Club members was available to us. However, we will gladly go
    through our archival information since I see you were a member for 3 years. Also I have forwarded a copy of this request to our Head Professional,
    Chad Parker. He is usually very helpful with requests like this and he was an assistant Pro here at that time.

Keep you fingers crossed - maybe we will find something. I will be in touch
    if we have any success.

Best Regards,
    Melinda

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2002 8:19 PM
    To: mscott@eastlakegolfclub.com
    Subject: Message from Website visitor

Name: Michael Hyland
    Company: IMS
    Phone:
    e-mail address: mike@ecomcity.com

Message: I sure have enjoyed seeing my favorite Atlanta Golf Course getting
    all the PGA TV time lately. Back when I was a member in the middle 70's it
    was a little run down, but full of colorful members.

I get razed all the time about my greatest day in golf which occured at East
    Lake. Trouble is I have no proof to quiet the critics and dis-believers.
    During the Club Championship tournament one year I was witnessed by other
    members and guests making a double Eagle on the front nine and ending the
    round with the first ever hole in one on the 18th hole.

Ex-wife lost the Hole-in-One plaque but the Club house had a copy and
    paperwork. Plus a Old trophey got my name etched in it and the Atlanta
    Journal made a write up for their sports section.

I'd sure love to know if any records exist on this lucky feat, especially
    since it dropped me from a 7-8 handicap to a 2 handicap the next week with that natural 69 score. With
    all the hustlers and drinkers there I became the "mark" for all weekday
    gamblers and had to drop out of golf for a while.

I see where Tom Cousins has spent some of his well earned monies on
    re-vitalizing the club and course. Figured Ted Turner would take on the task
    as He did play as my guest on many Wednesday's there when he was just the manager of
    Continental Cable Co. First thing he'd would be to put in more tennis courts and stop golfing. Best wishes to you'all and look forward to seeing some
    more Pros take 7's or 8's on the tough 18th water hole.

Mike Hyland

This message was sent from East Lake Golf Club Contact page

WebMaster Mike

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast