Whenever I start using a different advertiser on CJ, I like to test the link to make sure it works and see exactly what is required to happen to get a commission. (for example, signing up for ebay through my own link) Is doing this legal? Only doing it once per advertiser, of course...

It depends on the program terms, but generally it's acceptable and necessary to make sure the tracking is working properly. If you didn't already have an eBay account, I don't see why not, but you need to bid on something to make it count.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    To make test sales is usually allowed. A few merchants (like amazon.com) do not allow sales through your own links. To be sure, check with the merchant.

Lead programs never allow sign-ups through links so I would not do an ebay test sign-up. To test lead links, contact the affiliate manager and have them test them out.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

quote:
    Originally posted by CheeseHead:
    Lead programs never allow sign-ups through links so I would not do an ebay test sign-up. To test lead links, contact the affiliate manager and have them test them out.

I agree with CH, testing ebay's or alikes could be tricky.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

Amazon.com apparently just deducts commissions from sales on your own links. Or the equivalent. But hitting Adsense links to test them is a definite no-no.

Hmmm...well...I guess I'll just have my friend test the links for me.

I just did a test purchase with a CJ merchant i am building a site for and sure enough while it did track immediately i got one third of the commission i was owed... i emailed CJ and they say they are checking it out - i got a reply requesting a copy of my order confirmation email but i haven't heard a final verdict from them yet.

So, this was a lesson learned, i will now always make a test purchase if i am investing significant time in building a site for a merchant.

Always test your links. If you feel a need to do a test purchase, then do it. If the merchant doesn't like it, drop 'em like a hot potato.
    ~Ernie

Internet Cowboy
    quote:
    Always test your links. If you feel a need to do a test purchase, then do it. If the merchant doesn't like it, drop 'em like a hot potato.

Agreed!
    I buy stuff from my links on a regular basis. There is a difference in signing up 40 ebay accounts and buying your own stuff on your links. In most cases you end up with a great deal if you can catch something on sale, then get a nice chunk back. Heck yeah man!
    Any merchant with a problem with that should be replaced in my opinion.

I have never seen a merchant who sells durable goods say that you couldn't, other than Amazon, and I can't read so I am good there.
    Some might have their reasons, but I say go for it.

Personally I test them all --
    I do not care what they say or what their TOS says - it's business and that is what it takes to make sure everything works and your getting credited. I have a trusted friend test it for me so as not to alert anyone to my test. Especially if they say it is NOT allowed at all period - that sends up red flags for me and I test it anyway.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Dittos to what Erninator said. IMO except for Amazon (who are weird), merchants who try to block self-purchases are probably up to things.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread