Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lately I've been swamped with emails from merchants. It's come to the point that I just can't read all my emails. It especially gets annoying with those merchants who think they have to bombard you with emails every other day. I think we should make a rule for all merchants. No more than 1 email per month, period.

What's your experience with this?

Internet Cowboy
    I agree. I have gotten as many as six in a month from some merchants.
    I am getting to the point where I only read mail from a few select merchants amd I know its just a matter of time before that comes back to bite me.

Hi,

As both an affiliate and an affiliate manager I feel your pain from both sides and I have a question, I guess from the manager standpoint.

Do you prefer (if you have to get bombarded with emails from merchants) that a merchant give you everything that you need in the email? Such as ready to paste links etc? Does that email get preferential treament?

I know as an affiliate any email that is nice, html with ready to paste links I keep and use right away. If I have to login to a network... forget about it.

That is why, for my clients I try to put as much info at your finger tips as possible.

thanks for your opinions in advance.
    Lizabeth Sorensen
    Affiliate Program Consultant
    lizATemerchantconsultingDOTCOM
    www.emerchantconsulting.com
    518-233-7431 EST.

I don't know about anyone else but I make my own sites in my own way. I don't believe I have even one time used info from an email. Why do that? One might presume every body in the program will use the same thing so that is the last thing I want.

But, I am probably different that way. Can't speak for anyone else.

Truthfully, unless the title says something like, new feed, or commission change, I never open the stuff.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I open the emails from my current merchants. For all other emails, I just look at the name and sometimes scan through the source code if I think it might be interesting, and then I delete them all. Once in a blue moon I reply asking if they use parasites before going all out with them. Those that don't always reply, the others ignore me. Sometimes I use the clean merchants, and sometimes I don't.

As for having everything ready in an email, those merchants always get preference with me. I never use everything they send, but I almost always use something in those emails for one of my sites. I normally change the description or add to it but they go up right away.

Like eMerchant, if I have to log in and fetch the links, especially that CJ has been so bloody slow lately, forget it. I get to it when I get to it if I ever get to it.

I find in-house merchants are the best for this sort of thing. I have very few merchants in CJ and LS that do that. One in particular in LS is parasite-infected anyway, so their links never see my websites. I'm just too lazy to drop them, I just don't promote them at all. One in CJ is really good for this, so his links are always up within an hour of reading the email when it's something useful for my sites.

Catwoman

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I usually read 'em as long as they're from merchants I'm signed up with. I ignore ads from those I haven't joined (I get several ads daily). If I find myself bombarded with emails from one merchant, though, I get selective as to which ones I open.

quote:
    Do you prefer (if you have to get bombarded with emails from merchants) that a merchant give you everything that you need in the email? Such as ready to paste links etc? Does that email get preferential treament?

I don't trust emailed links. I've seen my PID be left out of them too many times (I think this usually happens due to some error where the software just leaves a "placeholder" in instead of dynamically generating a PID). If I see an interesting link, I go get it through the network interface to be as sure as I can that it will track.

What I DO like is to be notified of sales--and the ending of sales. Merchants are pretty good with the first part, but most of them never get around to warning us that a sale is ending. Worse yet are the merchants who never say when the sale ends, even in their first sale-notice email--they just say there's one going on! It's not much help to know there are sale links if we don't know when they need to be taken back down.

As for the issue of email frequency--yes, once a month is enough. Some merchants need to try harder to get all the info into one email instead of putting it out piecemeal.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Internet Cowboy
    I agree with Sanf. I do my own thing and have hardly ever used those ready to past links.
    All I want from a merchant is hot selling merchandise tips, promotions and additions of new items. On the additions, don't just say "We have lots of new items." Tell us what you have that is new. Details details details.
    Once a month is plenty.
    As for email in the CJ interface, I opem maybe 5% of it.
    I don't think I have ever checked my LS email, but I do so little on LS I only log in and look at it once a week or so.

I do not expect this to come as a new idea but...I created a separate Yahoo email address and use it exclusively for affiliate marketing. Then I can read the emails at my leisure and they are always in one place.

They offer enough storage that I do not need to worry about deleting them (at least for a while) so I can always have them handy as a reference.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

It's easy enough to look at an email and know in a second or two whether there's anything worthwhile in it. I would rather get too much communication than too little.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

So you're advocating everyone create a yahoo email account and change our email in cj? Makes sense, then we can miss the important emails right along side of the spam we get from merchants. Why not make it easier for us to decide who we want mail from, you make it so the merchants can mail us in categories, let us decide from which categories we receive email, or make it so all of the mail goes into the cj mail area.
    The way it is now is crazy, just makes me mad at the merchant for sending me 5 or 6 of the same emails and drops them to the bottom of my list to check out. If CJ was about ease of use and helping the affiliate instead of squeezing every penny they can from merchants, it would be a lot better.

I think each merchants should just send one email to each affiliate they are associated with and give them one link to check for all the info that the affiliate could or would be interested in. Some merchants do that so we affiliates don't have to click through all that. If I want to know what's new or special they have I go to that page they provide me and see if I want to add it on my site or not.
    edited to add: it save merchants time sending all that emails right?
    halfacentworth! :-)

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Yes, some are excessive! (like 2 a day, each day, from some merchants) On the other hand, I have joined a few great programs that I would not have joined as a result of a few of the emails.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

http and a telephoto
    I would like to see the BeFree mail interface fixed so that I don't get 4-6 (because of multiple sites signed up, but all on the same account and going to the same email address!) of the same emails from each merchant that sends out once a week or once a day or once an hour if they are on a roll. I only need one and I don't use the links in them anyway. On email PER ACCOUNT and one email per month is plenty.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

cj emails

a lot of merchants send their identical email one to
    cj internal email account and
    one to my POP mail box.

!!! i do not want that !!!

suggest approach :
    only email newsletter attached new banner codes go to POP mail box.

all other email should just go to cj internal account only

if cj internal email account messages can attached banner codes, i think it is nice just to have all emails send to there only.

NO DUPLICATED EMAILS TO TWO PLACES.

Have the system allow the merchant only send the identical email to only one place,
    but not both

The only time I really want to receive an email is when they are changing the program terms.. I'd like to know how much more ...or less I'm going to be making.... period. Don't send me links. I can get that at my leisure in the CJ interface. Don't send me coupons because at this point I am too scared to use them due to parasites. Don't send me emails asking when I might get your links up. (They are most likely already up on one of my sites that I do not have listed at CJ). Basically, if you are going to contact me.. make it for a reason that is in my best interest... thanks

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    While I'm a merchant here, I can certainly see how it must be overwhelming to receive multiple emails regularly from a great number of merchants.

After all, some of you are dealing with (in upwards of) 700 merchants at a time! There are simply not enough hours in the day to read all of that, and that makes sense.

On the other hand, while I don't know what other AM's are doing in regards to number of emails, content of emails etc, I feel that our attempts at regular communication with our affiliates are the key to success.

I view our affiliation with each of our publishers as a professional business partnership. While I can't speak on behalf of ALL other AMs, our emails are only to keep you informed on what we feel are important goings-on, and to boost your chances for success as a partner to our program.

As well, we want to recognize you when you're doing well and help you get that boost you need when you're not doing so well.

Nova makes a good point about creating a central location where Affiliates can go to retrieve updates to promotions etc. when they're interested - I think I may do something like that in the future (if our programmers agree to accomodate us on that).

In the meantime, we're launching a bi-weekly newsletter in a week or so for our affiliates to try and concentrate all important info into one location- still delivered in an email for now, but at least sent all at once, and just twice monthly, rather than in multiple separate messages.

This may just be my $0.02, but I hope it helps publishers see why AMs may be 'bombarding' you at times - especially during a heavily campaigned season (and at a time of year when campaigns may change unexpectedly to ensure sales objectives are met). There's just so much to keep you informed about and frankly, we wouldn't be doing our jobs if we didn't keep you posted.

But again, that's JMHO.

quote:
    Originally posted by eMerchant Consulting:
    Hi,

thanks for your opinions in advance.

All I was asking is for the merchants to cut down their emails to once per month, and maximum twice per month. What I like to receive in an email is coupons, promotions or sales. Some merchants are sending us weekly emails, then reminders. This is very annoying.

quote:
    Some merchants are sending us weekly emails, then reminders. This is very annoying.

Then corrections, then price changes with more corrections, then corrections on their corrections, then holiday greetings, then reminders about upcoming holidays ....
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

Hi All,

Great post Liz. As the AM, I do feel the key to success is proper communication with affiliates.

For us, we send a general once a month newsletter announcing our dollar/percent off banner update and other changes that are announced to all of our affiliates.

In addition to this, we send out a weekly email to Coupon Sites only. We found that coupon sites like to have to fresh coupons and have them often. So, with them, they get a weekly "coupon email" with a new weekly promotional code. If any of you here post coupons and feel once a week is too much, I like to know your thoughts.

So, the bulk of our affiliates get an email once a month. The sites that are classified with us as coupon sites get an email 4x a month.

I believe the key with email communciation is relevant material (is there a new code, a program change, banner change, etc). In many cases, the only way we can communciate is with use of CJ's email interface.

If you are receiving duplicate mailings of the same message, do take a look at your account settings. If you have multiple email addresses set up to receive emails, then, all email address will get hit with the email if sent using CJ's interface (Todd if you are seeing this, correct me if I am wrong).

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Liz G.:
    While I'm a merchant here, I can certainly see how it must be overwhelming to receive multiple emails regularly from a great number of merchants...QUOTE]

quote:
    Originally posted by cwright:
    For us, we send a general once a month newsletter ... In addition to this, we send out a weekly email to Coupon Sites only. We found that coupon sites like to have to fresh coupons and have them often.
    Great solution, and one I've recommended to many merchants.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

quote:
    Originally posted by cwright:
    Hi All,

For us, we send a general once a month newsletter announcing our dollar/percent off banner update and other changes that are announced to all of our affiliates.

In addition to this, we send out a weekly email to Coupon Sites only. We found that coupon sites like to have to fresh coupons and have them often. So, with them, they get a weekly "coupon email" with a new weekly promotional code. If any of you here post coupons and feel once a week is too much, I like to know your thoughts.

I don't like that because again that means we're getting too many emails. Usually when I open my inbox it seems like it's "raining". What I suggest is have all your coupons in your monthly newsletter including those weekly coupons. We will already put up the coupons on the right days. Thus, the deals/coupons will be fresh but they should all be sent with your monthly email.

How about a list that affiliates can get on for "We don't do coupons. Never have, never will. They are a pain in the butt and I don't remember what pages out of 500,000 I made carry your stupid products anyway. And, if I have to babysit your pages all the time they are coming down. And, if I wanted to talk to anyone I would have called them so why is this damned phone ringing"?

That would be a good list to get on.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I thought of something that might be fun. We'll start naming the merchants that send too many emails in here.

Do you think this is a good idea or this can offend a lot of people?

Here is a typical useful email!
    quote:
    Dear xxxxxx affiliate,

We have given xxxx a fresh, new look. Our site is now easier to navigate and search as well as provide more powerful tools for first time visitors and returning customers.

HOLIDAY GIFT..... blah blah blah .......SHIPPING IS FREE! Plus now our customers can ship to multiple addresses for the same low price!

..... blah blah blah .......

As always, we promise to keep you updated on new opportunities from your affiliation with xxxxxx.

Sincerely,
    NOW! Did anyone see anywhere there that they mentioned the most important thing? It should have at least included, "Oh, by the way, we have renamed all the images and you can fix them in five minutes with a quick search and replace."

I have had broken images for this product which sells best in the fall for 20 days!!

Great communication!

IDIOTS!~!

Thanks for the news update!! Thanks for making my pages look like crap during the time when I would have most likely sold your products. Thanks for actually thinking about how what you do effects the affiliate sites and letting us know!

If I can find even one parasite free merchant that carries these products next year, you and your new updated site are dropped so fast!

Yeah! So glad to get your stinking news update! I don't have the words to tell you how very useful it was.

BTW, this is one I had actually READ when it came and would have responded to by fixing my pages at once if the merchant didn't have their head up their hind end! But, just really loved reading about their promotions.

Most of the emails are too long, not concise, not clear and not striaght forward

New creatives:
    cj can add one more subsection for new creatives on the merchant detail page.
    Then we can located the new banners much faster.

i still prefer ALL emails just go to cj internal system.
    No more POP , no more spams to POP again!
    Some merchants emails are blacklisted and filtered by spam filter and never reach me too.

For coupons:
    please mention
    - the offer
    - the code
    - start & end date
    that's all. do not spend a few paragraghs for that. Or need the affiliates to hunt down when is the activation and end date.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast