Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Good morning everyone,

I'm unclear as to how DRM banners work.

Our banners in our GET LINKS area are dynamic in that if you have link #012345 on your site, and I update or replace #012345 with a new banner, it's automatically switched on your page because you're already hosting the link.

Can someone please explain to me in more detail as to what the difference with DRM is, compared to the links we make available to affiliates through our GET LINKS page?

I'm interested in finding out how important DRM is to the community here and then, why, or why not.

Please add your $0.02 below.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Short version: A banner that you update from "Halloween Sale" to "Thanksgiving Sale" is ... just a banner.

A DRM link is also changed on your end but it's a LOT more than a banner. PLUS, you control EVERYTHING on your end - the font that will be used, how long it is, where the landing pages go, etc.

Here's an example of ONE link on my site, but it produces a "Gettysburg Address" of links:

"Welcome to Mondera, here are the current active offers for Shopping season from Mondera.com" Valid from Nov 1st 2004 to Dec 31st 2004.

Value: Save 15% off on Gemstone jewelry with purchase of on $500 and above.
    Details: Applies to all Gemstones for purchase of above $500 only. Does not include loose Diamonds,Solitaire pendants.
    Code: sHOPGEM1231
    Starts: 11/1/04
    Ends: 12/1/04
    Copy down the code and then click here to use this coupon.

Value: save 5% off on off on any loose diamonds.
    Details: Applies on any Loose daimonds only. Does not include Create your own ring,Solitaire pendants.
    Code: SHO1DIA1231
    Ends: 12/31/04

Value: Save 10% on Three Stone Diamond Jewelry.
    Details: Applies to all Three Stone Diamond Jewelry only.
    Code: SHO3STO1231

Value: Save $250 on Three Stone Diamond Jewelry value above $1500.
    Details: Applies to all Three Stone Diamond Jewelry value above $1500 only.
    Code: SHOsTOD1231

Value: Save $20 off on Promise rings with purchase of above $100.
    Details: Applies to all Promise rings above $100 only.Does not include Create your own ring.
    Code: SHOPROM1231

Value: Save $75 on Diamond Earrings with purchase of above $500
    Details: Does not include Diamond stud earrings.
    Code: SHODEAR1231

Value: save $120 with Create your own pendant on every purchase of $1000 and above
    Details: Applies to all Create your own Pendant above $1000 only.
    Code: SHOPCYP1231

Value: Save $100 with every purchase above $1000 on Diamond Bracelets.
    Details: Applies to Diamond Bracelets above $1000 only.
    Code: SHODBRA1231

Value: Save 10% off on all Pins and Brooches.
    Details: Applies to all Pins and Brooches only.
    Code: SHOPBRO1231
    Starts: 11/01/04

Value: Save 10% off on Mens Jewelry.
    Details:Applies to Mens Jewelry only.
    Code: SHOPCUF1231

Value: $75 off with Purchase above $500 and $150 off on Pearl Jewelry with Purchase over $1000.
    Details:Applies Pearl Jewelry above $500 and $1000 only.
    Code: SHOPEAR1231

Value: save $120 off on off on any loose diamonds above value of $1000.
    Details: Applies to (either loose diamonds or CYORing or CYOPendant)above Value $1000 only.
    Code : SHSPDI1231
    Ends : 12/31/04

Value: save $175 off on off on any loose diamonds above value of $2000.
    Details: Applies to (either loose diamonds or CYORing or CYOPendant)above Value $2000 only.
    Code: SHSPDT1231

Value: save $225 off on off on any loose diamonds above value of $3000.
    Details: Applies to (either loose diamonds or CYORing or CYOPendant)above Value $3000 only.
    Code: SHSDTR1231

Value: save $250 off on off on any loose diamonds above value of $4000.
    Details: Applies to (either loose diamonds or CYORing or CYOPendant)above Value $4000 only.
    Code: SHSPDF1231

Special "Time & Money Savings" for Military Families. We offer Free USPS Insured Air Shipping for all APO/FPO addresses. What’s more! And also get our special savings on all your purchases.

Value: Spend $100 or above Save $10.
    Spend $250 or above Save $25.
    Spend $500 or above Save $50.
    Spend $1000 or above Save $100.
    Details: Special Savings offer on all Jewelry Purchase.Doesnot include loose Diamonds,Diamond Studs & Solitaire Pendants
    Code: APOFPOJEW
    Starts: 7/21/04

Value: Save $30 on Diamond Studs & Solitaires with the price of $450 or over.
    Details: Applies to all Diamond Studs & Solitaires with $450 or above.
    Code: APOFPO30

Value: Save $50 on Create your own ring or pendant of 0.50 carat or over only.
    Details: Applies to all create your own ring or pendant of O.50 carat or over only.
    Code: CYOAPOFPO50

Value: Save $75 on Create your own ring or pendant of 0.75 carat or over only.
    Details: Save $75 on Create your own ring or pendant of 0.75 carat or over only.
    Code: CYOAPOFPO75

Value: Save $100 on Create your own ring or pendant of 1 carat or over only.
    Details: Save $100 on Create your own ring or pendant of 1 carat or over only.
    Code: CYOAPOFPO100

Value: Save $200 on Create your own ring or pendant of 2 carat or over only.
    Details: Save $200 on Create your own ring or pendant of 2 carat or over only.
    Code: CYOAPOFPO200

Hi Billy - thanks so much for your response.

However, I must still be missing a fundamental piece of the puzzle here... I'm still confused.

What I don't understand is what is the difference between those banners and the ones I upload to CJ on our Get Links page? If you're hosting one of those banners, and I upload a new image to the link page on my end through the CJ Account Manager, it automatically appears on your site because you're already hosting that link. That's dynamic.

I control the look the feel the font, the image, the everything - we design the banner and upload it and there it is.

Other than the fact that a rich media banner should have some type of rich media included (ie search functionality or something - please correct me if I'm wrong here) I'm completely confused as to how these DRM banners are any more dynamic than the ones I'm using now.

I'll keep looking for more info on these things. I want to be very clear on what I'm missing here.

Thanks again for the response Billy, and to anyone else who might be able to lend further insight.

For now, Happy Thanksgiving. Billy - go eat your TURKEY!

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Liz,

Only got a minute - gotta' take Jesse to the 3-D Polar Express movie...

I'll pm some links and which "friendly" am's might be able to help.

Billy

Liz,

Billy is correct there are many things you can do in addition to just a banner or graphic.

As a publisher the space we make available is the Merchants to update with special promotions. This helps the Merchant that wants to feature a new promotion with a time limit.

All we have requested on our end is that the link goes to a landing page with the promotion, and not to a home page with a lot of redirects.

To often links to the Merchants go direct to the home page that has all types of information like store locations, phone numbers, and other information helpful to both the Merchant and user, buts offer very little opportunity for the publisher. The publisher just ends up redirecting traffic away from our site(s).

There are still a lot of growing pains, but DRM is the right path.. at least I think so.

Let me offer a small example. Go to..

http://www.411locate.com/shopping/

This only one of our pages that offers affiliate links, and most are all just standard links, but at the bottom you will see "Hickory Farms" using DRM..

Notice the offers are current, and when you click on their link it goes to a landing page with the offer featured... a good cause of action.

Hickory Farms keeps this are updated with their specials, and seasonal offers. Better from them and definitely better for us.

Affiliates links are the least profitable source of revenue for us so while we are willing to provide space for the affiliates our time to make changes to their links is limited.

DRM has been the best change we have seen since our years of trying to work with Merchants.

"We don't mind being used, We would just like a kiss and a call the next day"

Also notice on the page that “Golfballs.com” graphic is not even loading.. Merchants like these are very well respected, but if they can not keep their graphics loading we must drop them. DRM help eliminate this problem.

I hope my comments have helped. There are certainly others better qualified to respond.

Hi thanks for the insight! I'm feeling more and more enlightened by the day.

Following review of the links you've provided me, it looks like DRM is simply what we refer to as a "rich media" banner - you're just calling it by a different - or an acronym-ed version of the same name.

I hope to be able to offer these types of links in the future. The good news is I've already started talking to our team about it as of a few weeks ago and will be developing a plan to execute that in going forward (as soon as I can).

In the meantime, we do offer links that go directly to the landing page of the promotion(s) being advertised on our site, and not just the home page.
    I update those links on my end every time we have a new promotion, and the Affiliate or Publisher who has already included the promotional link code on his/her page is not required to do anything when the campaign changes - I update it on my end.

I will say however, that it would be beneficial to both Rugman and its Affiliate Partners, if more of our Affiliates would pick up the promotional link code and include it on their site(s).

While many of our Affiliate Partners are hosting our campaign link code, many of our affiliates are still only hosting our brand banner code. This means no matter what I do on my end, the promotion doesn't end up on their site and they miss out on the chance to send additional, pre-qualified traffic to our site, and in return they miss out on increased opportunity for conversion.

I look forward to being able to provide a larger variety of banners (including DRM or rich media banners) in the future. If it will make things easier for our Affiliates to keep up with our promotions (not to mention these DRM banners are really cool!), then by all means we should be offering them!

I guess in conclusion then, I'd just like to say one thing for now:
    Rugman Affiliate Partners - If you're only hosting our logo and if you haven't done so already, please pick up our promotional link code from our GET LINKS page at CJ ASAP, and we'll continue to update the campaign banners and their landing pages on our end accordingly. Our goal is to see even bigger success for all of us – our partners, and ourselves.

All other comments still welcome.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread