From Befree:

"Merchant X only ships to the US so we are not accepting websites outside of the US..."

"...Unfortunately, X is only accepting websites that reside within the US at this time."

how.

Can a website.

"RESIDE"

IN THE US?

So does my website need a green card?

Even if it caters to an American audience, and is hosted in the US.

In all seriousness, if I don't reside in the US, is it halfway rational to suppose that any website I ever make could not POSSIBLY have an American audience?

Apparently Canadians only build websites for Canadians, Laotians only build websites for Laotians, and so on...

From a merchant's details:

"As we only ship to the US we are not currently accepting non-US partners"

Admittedly, I can request terms from the affiliate manager, I have done so in the past with ebay, gamefly and others. In all cases I receive terms within 48 hours. However many merchants don't have an affiliate contact listed in their details or website.

Even so, non-US CJ publishers should not be left with the task of individually contacting merchants who are only accepting websites "in the United States".

There's a point to this rant . A mailing address is NOT valid criteria to automatically decline an affiliate, nor is it fair to equate it with a site's target audience. One minuscule field, "target audience" could make all the difference.

Is this too much to ask of CJ?

I agree with that rant in theory, the ability for a merchant to wipe out 1000's of potentially great affiliates with one "click here for US sites only" option is stupid.

However I see the other side too - with merchants wanting to protect themselves from 3rd world spammmers. That's why, as you say, when you contact the merchant directly and professionally state your case, they will usually accept you.

Everyone but StarWarsShop that is

With most networks and indies, it's often an issue of not wanting to be bothered with the extra paperwork they have to file for taxation purposes.

CJ takes care of that for the merchants, so who knows what motivates them to deny, based on country?
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

ABW Ambassador
    Contacting the merchant for reconsideration often works.

I've needed to do it for several UK programs and have only been blown off once.

True. Trouble is, a lot of merchants don't display their affiliate contact info.

Better forget them.

Save the time to do more promotion work on other programs.

I think a lot of companies don't want to deal with the tax details.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    There ARE no tax details.

If an overseas affiliate has no employees or representatives in the USA and only leases equipment (ie servers) there, there is not tax liability. No forms to fill out either.

Google has it right with their adsense system. Any merchants that insist on form when you don't have a presence in the USA have got it all wrong.

And the merchants that think that only US webmasters produce websites worthy of US customers, well, they're just dumbarses.

The "red tape" is at best one W8-BEN form, and in cases where affiliate networks mail the checks, there's no excuse whatsoever.

It'd be nice to see more non-US CJ affiliates demand that this issue be addressed. Apparently no one's calling them on this

quote:
    Originally posted by Drewbert:
    There ARE no tax details.

If an overseas affiliate has no employees or representatives in the USA and only leases equipment (ie servers) there, there is not tax liability. No forms to fill out either.

Google has it right with their adsense system. Any merchants that insist on form when you don't have a presence in the USA have got it all wrong.

And the merchants that think that only US webmasters produce websites worthy of US customers, well, they're just dumbarses.

There are tax issues even if the affiliate isn't in the US. You have to explain where your money when why it went therer and who got it. The IRS doesn't care if they don't collect taxes from the person you paid but they do care if the company is lieing and payments to individuals outside of the US can appear to be more then what they really are, especially in this day and age.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread