I am in the process of re-launching DirectlyHome’s Affiliate Program with CJ.com and would like to make it parasite free.

However, with over 1800 affiliates I have know way of knowing which sites are parasites. Is there a list that anyone has compiled? If not, anyone want to take a stab at a "top offenders" list?

ABW Ambassador
    Start by looking in the parasiteware forum and you'll see names of some of the parasites discussed here as a good start.

It's been stated that parasites also use alias names to sign up as well so be on the lookout for this. The other thing to do would be to reference each sites description (yup that will be a pain with 1800 affs) but you should be able to note which ones use downloads, toolbars and other methods to generate traffic which may be questionable.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Check to see if you are listed in any of the programs merchant lists at http://www.affiliatefairplay.com/merchant_list.html
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    NotTakenID,

Drop me a pm with contact info if you want and I'll be more than happy to do a free consult with you and get you going in the right direction.

Kellie and I both help merchants with this sort of task on an ongoing basis.

My first 90 seconds of work here:

I can tell you that your directlyhome site is included in BargainBuddy (which I was just testing earlier today - discussion), though Buying-Bar-Stools is not. Since BargainBuddy is known to be installed through security holes, it may be the kind of program you'd rather not have as an affiliate.

I see no sign of either site being targeted by 180solutions.

I see neither site in the downloads of MyPoints, Box Tops For Education, UPromise, SchoolPop, or iGive (all TopMoxie distributors).

All in all, from my initial tests, you're doing quite well as is -- certainly better than most merchants who haven't been diligently pursuing these issues. Of course, there are lots more apps to test -- for which you could get a couple test machines to see for yourself what's going on; could rely on expertise here (as happypoon rightly suggested); or could hire paid testing services.

quote:
    I can tell you that your directlyhome site is included in BargainBuddy

I would love to get the relevant account info so I can remove them, a search for "bargainbuddy" does not bring up any affiliates.

My Buying-Bar-Stools.com program is ShareASale, so as soon as they find a parasite they delete him for me.

I definatley appreciate the help and Kellie I have exchanged voicemail. I am not apposed to spending money on making this program a success and certainly eliminating parasites is part of that.

NotTakenID,

A bit of phone tag on Friday. Try looking them up under ExactAdvertising, CashBackBuddy, and Bullseye Network (new name for bargainbuddy). If you don't find them there, I'll get the PID for you and forward it to you.

I'll also try and hook up with you on Monday.

Thanks Kellie, I am happy to say that eXact Advertising, LLC has been expired (CJ.com forces me to give them 7 days notice) and added to my auto-decline list.

I will look forward to talking Monday.

Suppose you determine that eXact Advertising is and has been in violation of your and CJ's program rules -- for example, with software installed without notice or consent to end users. Don't you then have some provision to retroactively cancel their commissions "earned"? Fact is, at least some of these commissions were "earned" for users who hadn't requested eXact's software, didn't consent to it, and probably didn't even know it was there. It's not hard to imagine a program deciding such commissions are not and must not be payable under such circumstances.

WTG NTI!

Look forwarded to talking with you tomorrow and finding out if there are any others lurking about in the program and a crash course on detection in your program.

I really hope you can get that program going, i've tried sending sort of probing amounts of traffic to them in bursts but nothing in return.

If it's going fine I could send a bunch of targetted visitors their way.

Incidentally the product showcase links are broken in that they just go to the homepage, you gotta dump the wierd URL=Table+Lamps part, for example.

Ben - Submitted a complaint about eXact saying "This company uses software installed without notice or consent to end users to grab affiliate commissions (often from legitimate affiliates who have already sent the traffic to my site). Please investigate." Somehow I do not think they will do anything about it.

Davros - I am definately working to get the program up and running, our new datafeed or HTML generator (affiliate.directlyhome.com) is a great way to send high converting traffic.

I do not know what you mean about the product showcase links being broken, can you please be more specific? PM or here. Thanks

CJ.com's responce:

Dear Steven:

What follows is their special traffic description, which was updated recently to be more clear and complete.

CashbackBuddy allows you to save money and earn cash rebates when you shop at participating online merchants. If you choose, you can donate your rebates to a participating charity/nonprofit organization. A slider appears to encourage users to make purchases at participating merchants, and to inform users of their current balance. You can sign up for the service, download CashBack by BargainBuddy software, and learn more about the program at http://www.cashbackbuddy.com. CashBack also helps keep popular internet products free in exchange for the ability to serve the users special offers and coupons, so you can also receive the CashBack program bundled along with these products. We require informed notice & consent of the user, along with the ability to see the product description, and end user license agreement. Each user must agree to the terms and conditions before receiving CashBack. In an effort to provide CashBack users with the utmost in privacy protection, we assign them a temporary username and password so they may make purchases and check their balances anonymously. Users are not required to provide any personally identifying information until they choose to cash out, receive reward confirmation emails, or enter our $25,000 sweepstakes. We reserve the right to keep rewards from users who have not either logged in or made a purchase in six months. CashBack by BargainBuddy is extremely easy to uninstall through the Start Menu/Control Panel.

"Each user must agree to the terms and conditions before receiving CashBack."

False.

The proof: Video, screen-shot, and discussion.

ABW Ambassador
    "False" - No, TRUE as the users who had the program installed via unethical terms never agreed to it and as such will never receive any cash back rebates. What part of the statement is false?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Looks like the 180Solutions folks deserve to be booted from ALL networks. Paul Nichols operation, and other TopMoxie wanks are doing bundling installs too, with no notice given to the victims. Ben you should put the "installers" URL's into your informative articles as these sleazeballs sure need to be PRO'd by the SE's and PPCSE's.

Funny how the networks begged ABW to come forth with proff of foul play with promises of taking immediate action. Not a friggin one of them bother to comment anymore on their BHO birthed monsters. Be nice when GWB's boys on Capital Hill put criminal charges and civil fines on all parties hijacking voters computers.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Happypoon: I allege (and have on hand the video to prove) that BargainBuddy makes a false statement when it claims that all users agree to BB's terms and conditions. Why is BB's claim false? Some users receive BB without accepting any terms and conditions. So: why do you think BB's statement is true? Notice that I don't claim that BB's terms were "unethical." Rather, I claim that BB's terms weren't presented at all.

EcomCity, we're talking about CashBack BargainBuddy by eXact Advertising, not 180solutions. You're right that 180 and certain TopMoxie apps are also using installations through security holes (no notice or consent whatsoever), and of course bundling too.

Finally, EcomCity, what specifically did you have in mind as to publishing installer URLs? My recent non-consensual install video does show an installer URL. But by and large I think of the installers as a small part of the problem, and the wrongdoers' who pay for the misleading installations (and then use prohibited cookie-stuffing methods etc.) as the bigger problem and the more culpable parties.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Mike,

You keep ignoring the fact that 180solutions are GoP donators.

Why is that?

quote:
    CashbackBuddy allows you to save money and earn cash rebates when you shop at participating online merchants.

I like the comment above about save money and earn cash rebates, the part that they didn't add to that one is
    WHEN YOU SHOP ON OUR SITES THAT THE MERCHANTS PROVIDES US THE LINKS THAT YOU MUST CLICK ON TO GET YOUR CASH BACK REBATE AND SAVE MONEY!"

Don't that make more sense and right???

Edited:
    quote:
    apps are also using installations through security holes

I just got an email about the security hole on Online Security Hole

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

ABW Ambassador
    @Ben you quoted:

Don't take my statements in any way shape or form that I support them or their methods. I'm pretty good at playing devils advocate and was merely putting my spin on how that statement is most likely interpreted by networks. Of course, if I'm wrong, the networks will boot them and take action - care to take up a huge side bet on this?

If you look at the statement you provided in the sense of

I think you'll agree the statement is true. A silent install with no reading of a license no text or otherwise being provided that states something like: here is your temporary userid and password and if you don't login within 60 days or whatever the case is - you wont get cash back. My point is is they don't get any of this information...... how in the world are they going to get cash back? The statement you quoted does not say IMO that every user agrees to thier terms and conditions but rather they mst agree to them - "to get cash back". Two different things IMO.

Happypoon, I take your interpretation to be that a user cannot receive a cash rebate ("cash back") until accepting the terms and conditions. That very may well be true.

But that's not what the license says. The last word of the license is "CashBack," which is the name of a specific software program. The descriptive text claims, in effect, "each user must agree to the terms and conditions before receiving the software program called CashBack." Note the distinctive capitalization and (lack of) spacing in "CashBack," as shown repeatedly above. This is and must be a reference to the program name, not to the mere ordinary act of receiving a refund.

So, I agree with your conclusion that "receiving CashBack" and "receiving cash back" are different. But notice that the license uses the first phrase, not the second, and that the first refers to a program, not a refund.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Ben said..."Finally, EcomCity, what specifically did you have in mind as to publishing installer URLs? My recent non-consensual install video does show an installer URL. But by and large I think of the installers as a small part of the problem, and the wrongdoers' who pay for the misleading installations (and then use prohibited cookie-stuffing methods etc.) as the bigger problem and the more culpable parties."

OUTING the sites who take infestation fees should be part of your information series. Compiling a list of them, and submitting that list to the SE management, will get their listings pulled. Easiest way is for the networks to bann any BHO who pays others for infesting systems with their crapware. Fat chance of any network, other then SAS, having the ethics to do just that. That would force the BHO's to be transparent as to getting consent to download their theftwarez and eliminate them from keeping the rebates/cash rewards from duped victims of hidden bundling and drive-by installs.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread